What's new

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Title: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Tagline: The most astonishing, innovative, backyard adventure of all time!

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family, Science Fiction

Director: Joe Johnston

Cast: Rick Moranis, Marcia Strassman, Matt Frewer, Kristine Sutherland, Amy O'Neill, Robert Oliveri, Thomas Wilson Brown, Jared Rushton, Kimmy Robertson, Mark L. Taylor, Carl Steven, Frank Welker

Release: 1989-06-22

Runtime: 93

Plot: The scientist father of a teenage girl and boy accidentally shrinks his and two other neighborhood teens to the size of insects. Now the teens must fight diminutive dangers as the father searches for them.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
It's been 30 years since the release of this wonderful film. This is a special one for me as it was the first time I can remember going to a movie theater. It captured my imagination and I've loved it ever since. I watched it on Blu-ray the other day and it still holds up great. The set designs and special effects are amazing and the peril the characters go through feels more intense that what you would think Disney would allow. There's even a scene of, GASP, SMOKING! Released on the same day as Batman, it performed respectably against that box office juggernaut, making $14 million it's opening weekend and ending it's domestic run of $130 million, and a $222 million worldwide total, against an $18 million budget (according to Wikipedia).

Something missing from the Blu-ray from it's original release, and I think it was missing from the DVD though I never owned it on that format, is the Roger Rabbit short "Tummy Trouble". It would have been fun to watch it along with the film again. Since it's release, I've only ever seen the movie on VHS which included the short, so this was a first for me to watch the film without it. But the Blu-ray DOES feature the Disney opening logo from the time, which was fun. That sort of thing really helps taking you back.

It was followed by a theatrical sequel, "Honey, I Blew Up the Kid" in 1992. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember liking it just fine. I may go out of my way to get the Blu-ray of that sometime just for a little nostalgia. It had another sequel that went direct-to-video called "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves" in 1997. I remember enjoying this a little more than "Blew Up". There was then a tv series that ran from 1997-2000, which re-cast Rick Moranis. I vaguely remember seeing a little bit of an episode or two but it just didn't interest me enough to keep watching. They made a couple of Disney park attractions; a movie set adventure playground for kids to play on, which I never got a chance to experience and is now closed, and "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience", a 23 minute 3D show. I saw it a couple times at Disneyland but it has also closed.

Word is they are considering doing a reboot, focusing on an adult Nick Szalinski with Josh Gad in talks to appear. On the surface I wouldn't care about it, but I would inevitably give it a try. We'll see if anything materializes...

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Recently introduced this gem and its sequel to my six-year old grandson. He loved them both! It's been so much fun for me to see these classic Disney movies again, but through his eyes as he experiences them for the first time. Thirty years later, the magic is still there!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recall loving the first two films when I was younger. i'm not sure if I've ever seen the third. Haven't watched them in years.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recall loving the first two films when I was younger. i'm not sure if I've ever seen the third. Haven't watched them in years.
Ha. Never knew there was a third one. I see it went direct to video which explains that.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Ha. Never knew there was a third one. I see it went direct to video which explains that.
Moranis is the only returning cast member, and I think it was his final role before he retired from acting. It also features a young Mila Kunis. Behind the scenes it apparently had the Joel guy of MST3K involved with some of his gadgetry stuff. I had ALWAYS though Wayne Szalinski himself was destined to be accidentally shrunk in a sequel, and I thought it was really fun, even if it was DTV.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks