What's new

So You Think You Can Dance Season 16 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Against all odds, SYTYCD is back for season 16.

We're three episodes with a streamlined audition round and a "new" (borrowed) audition stage with 360-degree Matrix-vision cameras.

Looks like we're getting five audition round episodes (three down, two to go), two academy week episodes, and then an episode each for the top 10 men and top 10 women. I don't think the format has been announced for the live shows (e.g. 2 eliminations per week or more).

So far I haven't been wowed with any dancer like I have been in previous seasons. There have been a few good routines, but so far dancer has stood out as a front runner (though if you look at early posts in the past few seasons I have a knack for favouring a dancer who gets voted out early...).

I know Nigel is big on the sob stories, but he really needs to dial it back this season. We skip through every single story about illness or someone's kid or grandpa dancing.

The show also needs to ditch the shots of the judges reacting. It seems to be worse than ever this season. We get: dance move, dance move, judges' reaction, dance move, judges' (longer) reaction, dance move...Just let us watch the routine!

I think the show continues to suffer from one-hour episode. The audition episodes need to be two-hours long. The pacing is negatively affected by the needless sob stories.

Dominic from season three is a new judge and he seems decent. When did he start going by "D-Trix"? I swear I don't recall him every using that name during his season or since (he's always been just "Dom").

Laurieann Gibson is the other new judge. She's...intense. She has given some good feedback so far and is clearly knowledgeable. However man she needs to ratchet down the hyperbole. Not every dance is "changing the face of dance forever", Laurieann.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Dom goes by D-Trix on youtube. My kids both knew him by that name. I like him more than twitch at this.

Laurieann defo has crazy eyes. She looks like if Hollywood tried to make Misty Copeland look edgy. Her style of critique is basically Mary except instead of screaming it's wild eyed awe. She's still a welcome change from Vanessa Hudgens, who giggled nervously more than anything else.

I have watched all of the auditions so far, I can only remember the guy who works at his dad's bagel store. But a lot of the good dancers have small time charisma. There hasn't been anyone with eye-popping skills and a magnetic personality.

Yes, the auditions are too short. Every time they go to credits I'm like, "huh? Is there a second hour I forgot to record?"

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Is it just me and my wife, or would Dominic be a great choice for a young “Mickie Rooney — the Garland Years” movie? With a proper haircut he’d look just like him, and he used the same facial expressions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think I’m caught up. I’m quite happy with the new guest judges. While my dream pairing remains Christina Applegate and Misty Copeland, I’ve come to accept they’re not available. Vanessa Hudgens is a delightful actor, but was not a good judge, all smiles and empty praise. And while Paula Abdul knew dance, she verged on inarticulate. These two, Dominic and Laurieann (?) both have a technical understanding of dance and also how to express themselves on live TV. I like Laurieann better of the two, as she conveys a greater depth of professional knowledge. But Dominic (D-trix?) is good enough, especially against SYTYCD standards.

I like this year’s format. They seem to have done untelevised auditions around the country, and then invited the best of that crowd to Los Angeles for the televised auditions, along with other first time hopefuls who can get to LA. But the result is that they’ve eliminated all the total goof auditions, the people that think dancing to applause in a frat party means they’re able to compete with serious students of dance. And the overall level of (televised) audition seems higher than recent years.

Jalen Sands: I think she can win the show. I loved her audition.

“Clocks” isn’t my favorite animation performer I’ve seen on the show, but he’s got great energy and some very impressive moments.

And these two, there’s a lot to like here. I look forward to seeing how they grow over the show.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You know, we are finding the show rather dull this year, and it may be cruel, but I think we miss the “goof” auditions. That was a big part of the fun for us. Most people failed with a good attitude, I am not talking about reducing people to tears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks