What's new

Pre-Order The World's End / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead Trilogy (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71K7tmvjv4L._SL1500_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This one seems to have completely slipped under the radar - it's out next week. Fantastic that Universal are redoing these in 4K. Shaun Of The Dead is the funniest zombie film ever made. Looks like my Halloween 4K triple bill of Don't Look Now, The Shining and Angel Heart is going to have to turn into a Halloween weekend at this rate.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
What? No love for Edgar Wright's Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy on this forum? Now reduced to $34.99 for pre-order! On Amazon UK, it's going for $73!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
That's a great price. I will happily upgrade to the 4k of these terrific films!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I did indeed get a super-cheap 4K of the trilogy and I just watched "Shaun" 4K.

Anyone have thoughts about the different brightness levels of the BD vs. the 4K?

I thought the BD looked too bright - dusk scenes looked like they took place at noon - but then 4K seemed to go too far in the other direction, as it could be too dark, especially during interiors.

I never saw the film until it hit BD, so I don't know which version hews closer to the original intentions.

I suspect the 4K is closer, but it really does seem AWFULLY dark at times, which makes me wonder if the "truth" is somewhere between the bright BD and the dim 4K.

Thoughts?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The 4K is too dark - it was never that dark when projected in the cinema! Have no idea why some of these 4K titles are mastered for viewing at thousands of nits!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Thanks. Do you also think the BD is too bright?
Yes - I find the blu-ray is too bright, some of the whites look blown out. I think this is the same transfer as the previous blu-ray, but I've given away my old one, so I can't compare. A tad disappointed that they didn't do a new scan and make a 4K master for Shaun.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes - I find the blu-ray is too bright, some of the whites look blown out. I think this is the same transfer as the previous blu-ray, but I've given away my old one, so I can't compare. A tad disappointed that they didn't do a new scan and make a 4K master for Shaun.

Yeah, it may well be the same basic scan as the BD, but obviously they used the HDR process to really muck with brightness!

Funny thing is I'm used to the opposite, where 4Ks use HDR to boost brightness too much. It's strange to get a 4K that's so much darker than the BD!

Medmansri

Auditioning
Real Name
Sri
I don't have either version, so is it better to get the 4K or the HD? I'm trying to get 4K movies as much as I can for future proofing, but in this case the isn't a common consensus to which is better.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I don't have either version, so is it better to get the 4K or the HD? I'm trying to get 4K movies as much as I can for future proofing, but in this case the isn't a common consensus to which is better.
If you buy the 4K UHD disc, you also get the previously issued blu-ray bundled with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks