What's new

NEW TIME LIFE Release: I Got You Babe: The Best Of The Sonny & Cher (Includes some Cher Shows too!) (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Just happen to look on Time Life’s website today and discovered they are releasing the Best of Sonny & Cher’s Variety Shows (“Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour”, “Cher” and “Sonny and Cher” (the show after the divorce). 10 DVD Collection is called “I Got You Babe: The Best Of Sonny & Cher”. Lots of Bonus extras and mostly all the episodes (except for 1 episode I noticed) have never been released on DVD before (I believe the episode of “The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour” with guest Caroll O’Connor (From “All In The Family”) is the only repeated show from a previous DVD release). Looking forward to getting this one!!! Check it out:
https://timelife.com/products/i-got-you-babe-the-best-of-sonny-cher

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm looking forward to this release. I hope all of the music numbers are intact. Having 5 episodes of Cher is a nice touch. It would have been nice to have something from The Sonny Comedy Revue represented as well.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
This has been at the top of my Holy Grail list forever (since the dawn of DVD's, heck the dawn of VHS! lol ). I am thrilled Time-Life has released this set and have placed my order. I too am hoping that future sets are to come and that eventually all episodes of all 4 series (Sonny Comedy Revue included) are released complete and uncut. Would be nice to also see the two Cher TV specials that followed, "Cher...Special" 1978 and "Cher...And Other Fantasies" 1979 released as bonus features as well.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
This is nice but I would prefer if the whole thing was released at one time as a complete series, like they did with Laugh-In, but maybe that would be too expensive. I'll think about ordering this, but right now it's not high on my priority list.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I ordered my set. It's kind of a bummer. While it will be great to have better quality copies of these episodes, I have all of them already. Two of the Cher episodes will be an upgrade to complete episodes. All the rest of the ones Time Life listed I have only in the 1/2 hour VH1 versions. The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and The Sonny & Cher Show episodes listed I have complete and uncut (as far as I know). At least there is only one previously released episode. For the post divorce show I wish they would have released the very first episode. It's one that I don't have (I haven't seen it since it originally aired in 1976) and Sonny & Cher made some really good jokes about their divorce. At the time, it was one of the highest rated shows the night it aired. Everyone tuned in to see what Sonny & Cher said and how they were going to act after that rather ugly divorce. It's a unfortunate that more of the post divorce show hasn't been released. It wasn't a bad show. It was, in some ways, a much funnier show.

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I ordered my set. It's kind of a bummer. While it will be great to have better quality copies of these episodes, I have all of them already. Two of the Cher episodes will be an upgrade to complete episodes. All the rest of the ones Time Life listed I have only in the 1/2 hour VH1 versions. The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and The Sonny & Cher Show episodes listed I have complete and uncut (as far as I know). At least there is only one previously released episode. For the post divorce show I wish they would have released the very first episode. It's one that I don't have (I haven't seen it since it originally aired in 1976) and Sonny & Cher made some really good jokes about their divorce. At the time, it was one of the highest rated shows the night it aired. Everyone tuned in to see what Sonny & Cher said and how they were going to act after that rather ugly divorce. It's a unfortunate that more of the post divorce show hasn't been released. It wasn't a bad show. It was, in some ways, a much funnier show.

That episode is in the previous DVD set.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If you are referring to the first episode of the post divorce show, that has not been released. It aired February 2, 1976. The first episode of the regular run of the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour (airing December 27, 1971) is on the previous set but not the first episode of The Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce). The earliest episode from The Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce) on the previous set is from October 24, 1976 (the second season). The other two episodes of the Sonny & Cher Show on the previous set are from 1977 (February 4 and March 11).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
After enduring so many musical cuts on “The Carol Burnett Show” sets from Time-Life, it’s particularly jumping out at me that nowhere do they say anything like “Complete” or “Uncut” anywhere about this set.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, now that you mention it, I do notice that. Hmm. Wonder how complete these will be?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
If you are referring to the first episode of the post divorce show, that has not been released. It aired February 2, 1976. The first episode of the regular run of the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour (airing December 27, 1971) is on the previous set but not the first episode of The Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce). The earliest episode from The Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce) on the previous set is from October 24, 1976 (the second season). The other two episodes of the Sonny & Cher Show on the previous set are from 1977 (February 4 and March 11).

I'm sure you are correct. I'll have to look again. I know there definitely is a show where right at the beginning, Sonny tells the audience something like, "I hate to break this to you, but Cher and I aren't married any more." That's why I was thinking it was the first one.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Just happen to look on Time Life's website today and discovered they are releasing the Best of Sonny & Cher's Variety Shows. [...]
Lots of Bonus extras and mostly all the episodes (except for 1 episode I noticed) have never been released on DVD before (I believe the episode of "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" with guest Caroll O'Connor (From "All In The Family") is the only repeated show from a previous DVD release).

Thanks for brining this to our attention, I hadn't known about this.
However, NONE of these episodes are repeated from any previous release.

Here are the release dates of the previously released 9 episode set and the episodes in this Time-Life release:
(starred episodes are the previously released set)

The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour
Season 1
8-1-71 (Jimmy Durante)

Season 2
12-27-71* (Glenn Ford, Harvey Korman, Robert Merrill, Cameo: Carroll O'Connor)
1-3-72 (Tony Curtis, Dinah Shore)
1-10-72 (Carroll O'Connor)
2-14-72* (Burt Reynolds)
2-21-72 (Art Carney)
3-20-72* (Merv Griffin)

Season 3
9-15-72* (Larry Storch, Ronald Reagan, Jackson 5)
9-22-72 (Jerry Lewis, The Supremes)
11-24-72 (Jim Brown, Bobby VInton)
2-7-73 (Jim Nabors)

Season 4
9-12-73* (Chuck Connors, Howard Cosell)
9-26-73 (Sonny & Cher Years Special, Part 1)
11-28-73 (Sonny & Cher Years Special, Part 2)
1-16-74* (Ken Berry, Danny Thomas, George Foreman)
2-20-74 (Joe Namath, Righteous Brothers)

The Cher Show
Season 1
2-9-75 (Elton John, Bette Midler, Flip WIlson)
3-16-75 (David Groh, Jackson 5, Lily Tomlin)
4-27-75 (Tim Conway, Kate Smith, Ike & Tina Turner)
5-11-75 (Greg Allman, Carol Burnett, Dennis Weaver)

Season 2
11-9-75 (Steve Martin, Wayne Newton, The Spinners)

The Sonny & Cher Show
Season 1
---

Season 2
10-10-76 (Bob Hope, The Jacksons)
10-24-76* (Ruth Buzzi, Alex Karras, Donny & Marie)
1-21-77 (Ken Berry, Betty White, Flip Wilson)
2-4-77* (Glen Campbell, Farrah Fawcett, Don Knotts)
2-18-77 (Muhammad Ali, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr., Lyle Waggoner)
3-11-77* (David Steinberg, Shields & Yarnell, Tina Turner)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
There were also 3 Christmas episodes released. Two episodes from The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour (12/20/72 and 12/19/73) and one episode from The Sonny & Cher Show (12/5/76).

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for brining this to our attention, I hadn't known about this.
However, NONE of these episodes are repeated from any previous release.

Here are the release dates of the previously released 9 episode set and the episodes in this Time-Life release:
(starred episodes are the previously released set)

Season 1
8-1-71 (Jimmy Durante)

Season 2
12-27-71* (Glenn Ford, Harvey Korman, Robert Merrill, Cameo: Carroll O'Connor)
1-3-72 (Tony Curtis, Dinah Shore)
1-10-72 (Carroll O'Connor)
2-14-72* (Burt Reynolds)
2-21-72 (Art Carney)
3-20-72* (Merv Griffin)

Season 3
9-15-72* (Larry Storch, Ronald Reagan, Jackson 5)
9-22-72 (Jerry Lewis, The Supremes)
11-24-72 (Jim Brown, Bobby VInton)
2-7-73 (Jim Nabors)

Season 4
9-12-73* (Chuck Connors, Howard Cosell)
9-26-73 (Sonny & Cher Years Special, Part 1)
11-28-73 (Sonny & Cher Years Special, Part 2)
1-16-74* (Ken Berry, Danny Thomas, George Foreman)
2-20-74 (Joe Namath, Righteous Brothers)

The Cher Show
Season 1
2-9-75 (Elton John, Bette Midler, Flip WIlson)
3-16-75 (David Groh, Jackson 5, Lily Tomlin)
4-27-75 (Tim Conway, Kate Smith, Ike & Tina Turner)
5-11-75 (Greg Allman, Carol Burnett, Dennis Weaver)

Season 2
11-9-75 (Steve Martin, Wayne Newton, The Spinners)

The Sonny & Cher Show
Season 1
---

Season 2
10-10-76 (Bob Hope, The Jacksons)
10-24-76* (Ruth Buzzi, Alex Karras, Donny & Marie)
1-21-77 (Ken Berry, Betty White, Flip Wilson)
2-4-77* (Glen Campbell, Farrah Fawcett, Don Knotts)
2-18-77 (Muhammad Ali, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr., Lyle Waggoner)
3-11-77* (David Steinberg, Shields & Yarnell, Tina Turner)

I remember Carroll O'Connor being on once and singing a vocal version of "Remembering You," the closing theme song of "All In The Family" (which he co-wrote). But I don't know which show that was. It's not the one on the previous set. That would be nice to have.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
After enduring so many musical cuts on “The Carol Burnett Show” sets from Time-Life, it’s particularly jumping out at me that nowhere do they say anything like “Complete” or “Uncut” anywhere about this set.
I agree. Other than a couple of shows, all of the listed Sonny & Cher Comedy Hours (along with many more) ran complete and uncut in TVLand's early days, so I'll be holding on to my copies. I'm not sure what the story is with the show TL lists as 1/10/72 with Carroll O'Connor, since the guest on the show broadcast on that date was Kate Smith.
Also: The claim that the "Cher" shows have been "unseen since they first aired 40 years ago" is specious. In fact, the premiere was aired on VH-1 in 1-hour form, and many others were aired in 30-minute form on VH-1. GET-TV also has aired several "Cher" shows in more recent times.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I'm sure you are correct. I'll have to look again. I know there definitely is a show where right at the beginning, Sonny tells the audience something like, "I hate to break this to you, but Cher and I aren't married any more." That's why I was thinking it was the first one.
Yes, the show you are referring to is indeed from the first Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce) that aired on Feb 2, 1976, but it has of yet, never been officially released on any DVD sets. I tried to download a video of the clip but it kept saying the file was too big (had it down to 8.5mb) but here is a pic from the episode.
Sonny & Cher Show.jpg

Will see if this works:
Link:

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yes, the show you are referring to is indeed from the first Sonny & Cher Show (post divorce) that aired on Feb 2, 1976, but it has of yet, never been officially released on any DVD sets. I tried to download a video of the clip but it kept saying the file was too big (had it down to 8.5mp4) but here is a pic from the episode.
View attachment 60897

Okay. I pulled out the set, I was sure that episode was on there, but indeed it's not!

What the heck is going on? I could swear (or affirm) that I saw it, and on DVD in fairly recent times as opposed to first-run or reruns. Also -- again, I'm sure you know your stuff -- but February 1976? That seems early to me for the "reunion" series.

Well, shows you what I know.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
From what Cher has said over the years, she found it increasingly difficult to host a show all on her own. So, she opted to team up with Sonny again. CBS and Cher ended her show December 1975. The last aired episode of Cher was January 4, 1976. Everything got quickly ironed out and within two months Sonny & Cher were back. The first episode of the new show aired February 1, 1976. It was a short 1st season. Only 11 episodes were produced. The shows complete 2nd season started on September 26, 1976.

I have all but 5 episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour as they aired on TV Land eons ago. I am missing 8 episodes of The Sonny & Cher Show. I have 7 complete episodes of Cher (all the rest that I have are 30 minute versions from VH1). I did manage to get another copy of the first episode of Cher from GetTV and it did have some additional footage that VH1 didn't show so I was able to put together a more complete version of that episode. GetTV also aired the Christmas episode of Cher and I got that one since I didn't have that one before.

The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour that had Carroll O'Connor singing 'Remembering You' is indeed the 1/10/72 episode. I have it but the 'Remembering You' portion is missing for some reason. I did manage to get that off You Tube and put it back together properly. Also, one of the Comedy Hour episodes I have with the Supremes is missing their solo song. Hopefully this is the episode that is getting released on the new set. As just about all of the episodes of these shows that I have I didn't actually tape myself, I had to take them as they were. From what I could tell from the running times, only those two episodes in my collection were missing stuff.

I'm looking forward to this new set but I was hoping that Time LIfe would have done a more comprehensive set like their Carol Burnett sets. Maybe if this sells super, super well they may release another set or two. I hope so. I'd like to see more of the post divorce show and Cher's show get released.

Last edited:

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
I agree, even though there's not much new here that collectors don't already have, it makes sense to support the release in the hopes that it leads to future releases.

With regards to the 2/1/76 episode, there were clips of the opening monologue on the VH1 Behind the Music which aired in 1998/99 somewhere around there, that's likely why you might remember seeing it more recently than 1976.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks