What's new

Lord of the Rings 4k. Any News At all (1 Viewer)

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry is there’s another thread on this but it seems odd that this doesn’t have a release schedule.
I understand that Jackson has been busy but this truly seems like a cash cow in the 4k market.
Having been shot on 35mm seems that it could look brilliant

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I admit I'm pretty surprised WB hasn't milked this for 4K yet - seems like a total natural for the format!

Maybe Jackson is holding it up for some reason?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes I’d be excited about a UHD package of this. I have the extended edition package on BluRay. I’m sure this has been discussed in other threads- are most people satisfied with how the films look on that BluRay release? I thought the Fellowship film looked a bit disappointing.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
They'll wait to tie it to the hype around the Amazon series.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As long as Mr Jackson remembers to make everything nice & dark & green like he did with the extended first part :)

Actually I don't think that a lot of Lord Of The Rings looked that great. Peter Jackson's penchant for turning down the colour & liking a flat image saw to that. I thought Return Of The King looked the best, but it's been a few years since I've seen it. I wonder if it'll all seem a bit anaemic after Game Of Thrones.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would be very interested in extended cuts with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos or better yet Dolby Vision and Auro 3D. But for what ever reasons Auro doesn't seem to be getting any love or respect in regards to any releases.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As long as Mr Jackson remembers to make everything nice & dark & green like he did with the extended first part :)

Actually I don't think that a lot of Lord Of The Rings looked that great. Peter Jackson's penchant for turning down the colour & liking a flat image saw to that. I thought Return Of The King looked the best, but it's been a few years since I've seen it. I wonder if it'll all seem a bit anaemic after Game Of Thrones.
Yes that’s what I thought when I watched Fellowship on BluRay for the first time- the tint looked green to me too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched the first film in a movie theater this week which was the extended cut and I didn't notice any green push, but I was totally engrossed into the movie so if there was, I wasn't distracted by it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would be very interested in extended cuts with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos or better yet Dolby Vision and Auro 3D. But for what ever reasons Auro doesn't seem to be getting any love or respect in regards to any releases.
I would buy these films again on disc without hesitation if they were released in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would buy these films again on disc without hesitation if they were released in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
Same here. There are certain films that I always want in the best quality format available because I enjoy them so much, and this trilogy (in the extended versions) qualifies for me.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I've started to notice that the early DIs of this vintage don't really hold up that well on modern displays. I rewatched the extended cuts on Blu-ray earlier this year and was shocked at how flat and soft they looked, with a lot more obvious noise reduction than I remembered. The car chase from Matrix Reloaded, which was also finished as a 2K DI circa 2003, looks noticeably duller than the rest of film, which was finished on film and remastered in 4K for the UHD.

With the amount of effects in the LOTR, I doubt we'll see a rescan of the camera negative. An HDR color grade will probably improve the image some, but I worry that the noise reduction is baked into the DI.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Two Towers and Return of the King have 2K DIs and if the Blu-rays are any indication, they weren't especially detailed and TTT in particular likely has some moderate noise reduction baked in to help blend the live action and CGI characters. Fellowship could get a nice 4K bump. But we're likely stuck with upscales of some pretty old DIs for the last two movies.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
They'll wait to tie it to the hype around the Amazon series.

Yeah, I kind of assume that for the most part catalog UHDs will get releases on milestone anniversary years or a marketing tie in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks