What's new

Dark (Netflix) Seaons One and Two (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Dark is a German-language science fiction show about time travel and the implications across multiple generations of a small German town. The show touches on themes of existentialism, nihilism (in the classic German tradition), and, of course, the good/evil duality of human nature.

Dark is a part Twin Peaks, part LOST, part 12 Monkeys (with some melancholy from The Leftovers for good measure). The look is by turns avant garde, surrealism, and even French New Wave. The acting is outstanding.

The way the show deals with time travel is almost iconoclastic.

If you have read my other posts in the TV forum and tend to like the sorts of shows I like, then trust me: you will like Dark. I'm not exaggerating when I say it is one of the finest shows I've ever seen.

Two seasons are completed, with the third and final season filming right now. I watched the show in the original German with English subtitles. I felt the original language provided the best viewing experience; the subtitles were not distracting.

Not a single second of the 18 episodes (to-date) is wasted. Every moment is doing work. That said, the story really starts picking up in the middle of the third episode. You'll understand what I mean when you see it.

Few shows have challenged me like Dark.

If anyone feels like watching and discussing, maybe post and we can start a fulsome two-season discussion in a few weeks (so we don't have to do the dance of spoiler tags)? I'm eager to read other members' thoughts on this show.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Just finished the second season. My god, this is such a great show! “Challenging” doesn’t quite capture the heavy lifting this show makes you do, lol! Absolutely love it and can’t wait for season three.

Stencil

Grip
Real Name
Randy
We really enjoyed both seasons.
Im sincerely hoping they can manage to get themselves out of the convoluted knot they have twisted themselves into. There are some plot points that kinda seem impossible, or at least not explained yet. Im about to watch both seasons over to hopefully pick up on anything I might have missed. Its a great show however. It takes every time travel idea I really love and whips it up into a wonderful confection.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Yeah, it does veer into the type of time travel paradoxes where it’s just “impossible”, (not that any time travel is possible anyways). Kind of like a few of those scenes towards the end of the first Bill and Ted movie where they needed the keys of the jail to break out the historical figures, so they simply “planned” to use time travel afterwards and steal the keys from one of their dads several days ago and hide them nearby. It’s a delightfully ridiculous plot device for time travel shenanigans, but it also opens up some pretty deep thought on the subject of pre-determination.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just finished season three. Tremendous show. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Just finished it this morning. Absolutely amazing! I look forward to going through it again in the future. I feel good about how much I kept straight through the whole thing, but I’m sure there’s a lot more things to notice on repeated viewings.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm finding this show kind of frustrating. I'm still in season one, but I binged eps 3-4-5 last night and don't feel like the story progressed at all. I'm not sure when this season "takes off," but I'm halfway through and it seems like it's just dragging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks