What's new

Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Title: Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954)

Tagline: Mad passions, madder deeds in the Edgar Allan Poe chiller!

Genre: Crime, Horror, Mystery

Director: Roy Del Ruth

Release: 1954-03-27

Runtime: 83

Plot: One of many films based on the mysterious tale written by Edger Allen Poe.

I am certain that Bob F. has answered this questions many times, but I have searched and have not been able to find it.

Does the entire PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE exist? And since Warner seems to have not interest in 3D at the moment, have they every let anyone else release and "older" title such as this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Everything exists and the 35mm elements, including color records, are in excellent condition. It would be relatively easy to create a flawless digital 3-D master.

WB struck new dual-35mm screening prints for Martin Scorsese about 25 years ago and the lab sent the prints in 1K left/right sections. I was given the task of building them up onto 6K reels for projection.

They are safely stored at the George Eastman House in Rochester, New York.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's fun film & a real guilty pleasure. I'm not into 3D, so a 2D Blu-ray would do fine for me, but if Warner just released a 2D version they'd probably never hear the end of it.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It’s enjoyable in 2D (TCM aired it last week) but who wouldn’t love it in 3D?

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
It’s enjoyable in 2D (TCM aired it last week) but who wouldn’t love it in 3D?
I saw Phantom in 3D in its original release. I’ll never forget the scene toward the beginning of the film in the nightclub when the balloons come down. It was as if the balloons were coming down in the movie theatre. It was just a short window for 3D films in the early 50’s. It’s a shame that the manufacturers of home video TVs in the US do not support 3D. By the time I decided to upgrade my old Pioneer plasma, 3D capable TVs were no longer available.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks