What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bumblebee is offered as spinoff adventure from the enormously successful (but diminishing returns) of the Transformers juggernaut franchise, but it also serves as a curious, sideways reboot of sorts. While the vast and seemingly ever-changing backstory of the autobot existence on earth wasn’t directly challenged in this new film, it did feel like it was put on notice with a simpler, clarified narrative proposition that could make future installments or spinoffs less complicated. Bumblebee largely succeeds as a restated offering of the Transformers universe. It is certainly the most character driven, and it thrives with its smaller scale. But is isn’t without its own issues.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Smaller and more intimate are, imho, exactly what this universe needed. I was all set to check out of the TF franchise (I skipped the last one) and that's tough coming from someone who had a ton of their toys and comics in the 80s...and yeah bought some of the Takara reissue and masterpiece version of the toys as an adult. Also a huge fan of the original animated TF:the movie. Man I would love to have modern animators re-draw that and just use the original audio stems. Obviously keeping the same Gen 1/2 robot styles, just using modern animation techniques to improve the visuals.

I saw this because a friend who knew me and said I should give it a shot, that she thought I'd like it based on my love for the 80s iteration. She was right. As you say, this movie is not without its issues, but it's quickly become my favorite live-action TF movie, eclipsing all of the Michael Bay movies. They got the spirit right, and using more Gen1 models really tugs at the nostalgia heartstrings.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This 4K version doesn’t compare to the 3D Blu ray. Oh wait, we’ll never now, it was only released flat! :oops:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think it was this review that persuaded me to take a dabble in the TF. I didn’t watch them as a kid and caught a substantial portion of one of the first ones and that persuaded me that’s all I needed to see of the TF franchise. I watched about half last night and will finish tonight.

My impressions are this disc shows what 4K is for. All around wonderful picture. I don’t have atmos but the sound is still great.

Stanfield is very good, she’s the standout so far.

Users who are viewing this thread