What's new

Cinema audio Formats (1 Viewer)

Site Coordinator

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
First I like to define what Cinema Audio format is, which the audio mix recording of back ground (mood music to the scene) and the sound effects of the film recording Prior to 1977 when Dolby Stereo (2.0 surround sound or commonly known as Stereo ) was created for the movie Star Wars movie and years later Ultra Stereo was invented. This format recording uses 4-2-4 speaker set. A good home theater receiver with a nice digital sound field processor will process the 4-2-4, ( this evident I was watching the horror movie Pumpkin Head which was recorded in the 4-2-4 sound mix in 1988. My Yamaha 581 processed the 4-2-4 into the 5.1 audio. Some of the late 90s and tv shows such as Walker Texas Ranger back ground and sound effects are processed to the surround sound speakers. The Walker Texas Ranger Television serious is said to be recorder in Dolby Stereo

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you asking a question? Not sure what you are trying to say here?:wacko:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
First I like to define what Cinema Audio format is, which the audio mix recording of back ground (mood music to the scene) and the sound effects of the film recording Prior to 1977 when Dolby Stereo (2.0 surround sound or commonly known as Stereo ) was created for the movie Star Wars movie and years later Ultra Stereo was invented. This format recording uses 4-2-4 speaker set. A good home theater receiver with a nice digital sound field processor will process the 4-2-4, ( this evident I was watching the horror movie Pumpkin Head which was recorded in the 4-2-4 sound mix in 1988. My Yamaha 581 processed the 4-2-4 into the 5.1 audio. Some of the late 90s and tv shows such as Walker Texas Ranger back ground and sound effects are processed to the surround sound speakers. The Walker Texas Ranger Television serious is said to be recorder in Dolby Stereo

What precisely is 4-2-4?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Wasn't the Streisand "A Star is Born", the year before "Star Wars", the first film advertised in "Dolby Stereo"? And "A Clockwork Orange" and Ken Russell's "Lisztomania" introduced earlier versions of the technology to theaters.

While not "created" for "Star Wars", it was certainly the movie that brought Dolby Stereo technology to a wide number of theaters.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wasn't the Streisand "A Star is Born", the year before "Star Wars", the first film advertised in "Dolby Stereo"? And "A Clockwork Orange" and Ken Russell's "Lisztomania" introduced earlier versions of the technology to theaters.

While not "created" for "Star Wars", it was certainly the movie that brought Dolby Stereo technology to a wide number of theaters.
Yeah Lisztomania was the first film to use the 35mm Dolby LT/RT matrix system after Ken Russell and his team used Quad matrixing on a 3,0 Magnetic track for Tommy (Clockwork Orange used Dolby NR but was in mono). Star Wars was the first film to strip out the redundant center left and right channels on a 70mm mix for LFE though. They're still there on the "first 70mm Dolby" releases, Logan's Run and A Star is Born.

Site Coordinator

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
My Mistake,, Ultra Stereo is a Cinema Sound System developed in 1984 by Chief Engineer Jack Cashin it was 4-2-4 Photographic sound encoding and decoding procedure compatible with competitor Dolby Stereo Matrix ( Had dig out film textbooks from college days)

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Yeah Lisztomania was the first film to use the 35mm Dolby LT/RT matrix system after Ken Russell and his team used Quad matrixing on a 3,0 Magnetic track for Tommy (Clockwork Orange used Dolby NR but was in mono). Star Wars was the first film to strip out the redundant center left and right channels on a 70mm mix for LFE though. They're still there on the "first 70mm Dolby" releases, Logan's Run and A Star is Born.
Maybe someone can confirm this. Dale Bell, the associate producer of Woodstock said that Woodstock was the first film to use Dolby A noise reduction, and that was in the book he did about how the documentary was made. No one else says it, only he and Dan Wallin one of the sound editors on the film, ever said it.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Logan Run in 70mm at the Empire in London was 6 track Mag non Dolby and it was fab. One of the last 70mm 6 track releases.
In London A Star is Born had 70mm Dolby prints and non Dolby prints.
Clockwork Orange used Dolby NR in the recording not in prints.
Some cinemas did not have Dolby CP100 Processors so some 70mm prints were non Dolby.

Site Coordinator

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
i had mentioned that certain program that are recorded in DOLBY Stereo MATRIX Such Walker Texas Ranger and Renegade. recently i was watching Walker Texas Ranger episode called Cyclone and the sound effects were processed into my surround sound speakers. The Episode is said to be recording in Stereo but the back ground music and sound effects are primarily processed either 3.1 surround sound and sub woofer or full 5.1, I am using the Digital Sound Processor in what is called Stanard

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
well ,mark i am just trying to listen to everybody and pick up bits and pieces of knowledge so i can rebuild my own system that I lost a few months back

But a) you haven’t said that before, b) you’re posting in the Blu/UHD section and more importantly c) what on earth does “cinema audio formats” have to do with your circumstances?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks