What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Set-Up (1949) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
68917711_10157608707436563_6421836587037884416_o.jpg

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

THE SET-UP (1949)
Run Time 72:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25
Special Feature:
Commentary by director Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese

Boxing Wednesdays. Wrestling on Fridays. Stoker Thompson is on Paradise City’s Wednesday card, fighting after the main event. He’s been 20 years in the game and is sure he’s just one punch away from big paydays. But there’s one thing Stoker doesn’t yet know: his manager wants him to take a dive tonight.
The Set-Up comes out swinging as one of the great films about the so-called sweet science. Robert Wise directs, shaping real-time events into an acclaimed and unsparing film-noir look at the stale-air venues, bloodthirsty fans, ring savagery and delusional dreams of boxing’s palooka world. Robert Ryan embraces perhaps his fi nest screen hour as Stoker. Audrey Totter, an icon of the noir genre like Ryan, plays Stoker’s steadfast wife. In a sport that would take their last flicker of dignity, the Thompsons are reclaiming theirs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
just one more release and it's something for everyone to cheer and complain about -- perfect symmetry

2 Current TV show
2 Classic Cartoons
2 Middle Aged Movie
1 Geezer movie -- come on geezer movie 2. momma needs a new wheelchair.

Probably in for all 7 so far.

Edit: and the circle is closed -- 2 Geezer Movie to make a perfect Sphere

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Great movie for those who haven't seen it

I don't keep up with the WA releases - do we wait for the pre-order link to get a release date?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great movie for those who haven't seen it

I don't keep up with the WA releases - do we wait for the pre-order link to get a release date?
Usually the release dates leak out 7-10 days after the FB announcements. These are September releases so we should have something soon enough, but don't order from Amazon if you want them by release day.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The only Warner Archive announcement (so far) today that interest me. Not a cartoon fan, disliked My Favorite Year and the DVD of A Touch Of Class is good enough for me considering it's a mediocre film.

EDITED: The unexpected announcement of THE LETTER has left me gobsmacked. Obviously THE SET UP is no longer the only Warner announcement that has my interest.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only Warner Archive announcement (so far) today that interest me. Not a cartoon fan, disliked My Favorite Year and the DVD of A Touch Of Class is good enough for me considering it's a mediocre film.
You not liking cartoons is surprising.;)

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Warner Archive is such a tease. Rather than dumping all the announcements at once, they like to string them out over the whole day. The Letter was also just announced. So much for the "no older classics this time" :D

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You not liking cartoons is surprising.;)

Outside of Japanese anime (like Miyazaki and studio Ghibli), animation doesn't appeal to be much. Not even "classic" Disney. I have a few like Lady And The Tramp, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty And The Beast, Alice In Wonderland, 101 Dalmatians but that's about it and outside of BATB, I can't say I really "love" them all that much!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another great surprise and superb film. It has the most unique angle for a fight film I've ever seen. The climactic fight is OK, but the build-up to it in the dressing room as fighters return either knocked out, defeated, or elated gives the movie such a gritty sense that real life is happening.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

EDITED: The unexpected announcement of THE LETTER has left me gobsmacked. Obviously THE SET UP is no longer the only Warner announcement that has my interest.
Yes, I thought I was going to save some money this month, until...well, Mr. Harris said there would be more than one announcement for next month that would be impossible to pass up.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The flood gates of classic films has finally opened at the Archive. I can almost see that 3 film Showboat collection, promised so many years ago.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
The flood gates of classic films has finally opened at the Archive. I can almost see that 3 film Showboat collection, promised so many years ago.

Not through WAC. They released the '36 film on DVD nearly five years ago. That DVD has been OOP for nearly a year now. At this point, that means that either their rights have expired or (and this is much more likely), it has been licensed out (and most of us are guessing it would be Criterion). So, the most WAC could release is either the '51 film or the '29 film, unless they were also licensed out to Criterion (which might allow them to upgrade their old laserdisc set). Either way, the odds of WAC doing a boxset even if they still had all three of them is low for at least two reasons: first, it wouldn't happen until all three had been given individual releases, and second, they have released VERY FEW 30s films on blu, and outside of re-releasing The Jazz Singer, no films from the 20s (and counting Jazz Singer, I thought WHV released two 20s films, indicating that they were poor sellers). So, again, our best hope for a boxset is if Criterion has all three (or four, if we include Till The Clouds Roll By).

Mark VH

Second Unit
An absolutely terrific film. Probably not one I really feel the need to upgrade from the DVD, but I’m glad it’s made its way to Blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The DVD is 15 years old and probably based on an old transfer that's been upgraded since then.

Mark VH

Second Unit
The DVD is 15 years old and probably based on an old transfer that's been upgraded since then.

I’m sure it’ll look great. But having only watched the DVD a handful of times I’m calling it good enough for the next time I need a viewing. I’ve really only found it necessary to upgrade about 30 percent of my DVDs to Blu. This isn’t one I’d shell out another $20 for.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I popped the DVD in a few weeks ago, but didn't watch that much of it as I felt Milton Krasner's Cannes Fest award winning cinematography could be better represented on a Blu. And just like a wish granted by Glinda the Good Witch, it will be on its way to all of us happy-go-lucky cineastes next month.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m sure it’ll look great. But having only watched the DVD a handful of times I’m calling it good enough for the next time I need a viewing. I’ve really only found it necessary to upgrade about 30 percent of my DVDs to Blu. This isn’t one I’d shell out another $20 for.
How you spend your monies is your business, but I was just pointing out that you considered this a "terrific" film and that the DVD is 15 years old from a video transfer that might be closer to 20 years old. Also, to remind other people that it's been a good while since the DVD came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks