What's new

Thoroughbreds (2018)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Thoroughbreds

Tagline: Good breeding gone bad

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Cory Finley

Cast: Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin, Paul Sparks, Francie Swift, Kaili Vernoff, Stephanie Atkinson, Lauren Laperriere, Thomas Dings, Svetlana Orlova, Leah Procito, Alex Wolff, Chaunty Spillane, Kristen Annese, Xavier Dillingham, Jack Norton, Daniel Martignetti, Max Ripley

Release: 2018-03-09

Runtime: 92

Plot: Two teenage girls in suburban Connecticut rekindle their unlikely friendship after years of growing apart. In the process, they learn that neither is what she seems to be, and that a murder might solve both of their problems.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up in a Vudu sale a while back out of curiosity, mainly because it was the last film Anton Yelchin shot before his untimely death, released posthumously and dedicated to his memory.

Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy play affluent teenagers in Connecticut. Cooke's character Amanda is on trial for animal cruelty after she violently euthanized her injured horse. Taylor-Joy's character Lily is having problems with her new stepfather. The girls were close once, but drifted apart after the death of Lily's father. After Amanda's mother hires Lily to be her test prep tutor, they reenter each other's lives.

For most of the movie, it seems like they were both cast against type. By the end of the film, the reason each was cast for their role and not the other's role becomes clear.

Yelchin is great as the statutory rapist and low-level drug dealer who crosses paths with the girls and finds himself way out of his element.

As for Amanda and Lily:
I spent the early part of the movie thinking Amanda was a sociopath, because of her lack of emotions. By the end of the movie, it's clear that Lily is a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder: Her need to be associated with high-status people and institutions, her habit of overstating and misrepresenting her accomplishments; her sense of entitlement and expectation of obedience from others, her willingness to exploit others for selfish ends, her general lack of empathy.

Amanda, if she is a sociopath, is at least consistent with her own constructed morality. She might not feel guilt or or sorrow, but she understands them conceptually. There are lines she won't cross. Lily is far and away the greater threat.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I picked this up in a Vudu sale a while back out of curiosity, mainly because it was the last film Anton Yelchin shot before his untimely death, released posthumously and dedicated to his memory.

Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy play affluent teenagers in Connecticut. Cooke's character Amanda is on trial for animal cruelty after she violently euthanized her injured horse. Taylor-Joy's character Lily is having problems with her new stepfather. The girls were close once, but drifted apart after the death of Lily's father. After Amanda's mother hires Lily to be her test prep tutor, they reenter each other's lives.

For most of the movie, it seems like they were both cast against type. By the end of the film, the reason each was cast for their role and not the other's role becomes clear.

Yelchin is great as the statutory rapist and low-level drug dealer who crosses paths with the girls and finds himself way out of his element.

As for Amanda and Lily:
I spent the early part of the movie thinking Amanda was a sociopath, because of her lack of emotions. By the end of the movie, it's clear that Lily is a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder: Her need to be associated with high-status people and institutions, her habit of overstating and misrepresenting her accomplishments; her sense of entitlement and expectation of obedience from others, her willingness to exploit others for selfish ends, her general lack of empathy.

Amanda, if she is a sociopath, is at least consistent with her own constructed morality. She might not feel guilt or or sorrow, but she understands them conceptually. There are lines she won't cross. Lily is far and away the greater threat.
Amanda did what she had to do. She may have botched it, but it was the right thing to do. Lily, on the other hand...
I thought this movie was challenging and very rewarding. The only two people I know who saw this (beside my wife, who shared my opinion), absolutely hated it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks