HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

THX unveils 35th anniversary Deep Note trailer
untitled1-1024x576.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Of course with the amount of THX theaters being a fraction of what they were 20 years ago (thanks to the great Regal purge of the early 2000's), it's not like anyone's going to see this.

EDIT: Also wasn't THX's 35th Anniversary like last year?

Last edited:

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is it just me, or does THX seem to have a lower profile in home and public theater than it did say 15+ years ago?

In the late 90s and in to the 2000s you heard a lot about THX, but not any time recently. I'm sure it's still a big thing in actual movie productions, but in the public eye?

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
THX had the chance to rule the world when it came to theatrical audio, premium large format cinema, and the evolution of residential AV.

Unfortunately the management thought it was more prudent to pour the company's resources into car audio and headphone technology in the early 2000s after Lucasfilm sold the division, completely diluting the core message in the process.

They took their eye off the ball and are pretty much a spent force now (pardon the pun).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Is it just me, or does THX seem to have a lower profile in home and public theater than it did say 15+ years ago?

In the late 90s and in to the 2000s you heard a lot about THX, but not any time recently. I'm sure it's still a big thing in actual movie productions, but in the public eye?

When Lucasfilm sold off their remaining shares of THX to Creative Labs in the mid-2000s that was pretty much the end. Few, if any, theaters these days are built to their certification specs, and most of the ones that were in the 80s and 90s chose not to renew. Its dead.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
When Lucasfilm sold off their remaining shares of THX to Creative Labs in the mid-2000s that was pretty much the end. Few, if any, theaters these days are built to their certification specs, and most of the ones that were in the 80s and 90s chose not to renew. Its dead.
Well they do certify all of Cinemark’s XD theaters. But that’s only the Cinemark chain. Also they just announced the first official THX PLF theater which is coming soon. They had a q and a on Facebook last year and I asked if they were going to get back into certifying Blu Ray’s and 4K discs. No response. Seems like they are just interested in certifying concert tours like Beyonce’s Formation tour and Arrowsmith’s Vegas residency. But hey, I love my Logitech THX certified home theater system. Not Atmos but for the price it’s awesome. Wish Lucasfilm never sold.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
For those who are interested in the history of the original Deep Note and how it was created, this is a great podcast:

https://www.20k.org/episodes/thxdeepnote

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

THX has been irrelevant for home and cinema for the past decade or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks