What's new

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I see that the rights to Pandora and the Flying Dutchman are now with Cohen Media Group in their Cohen Film Collection. Kino-Lorber released a Deluxe Edition of it on DVD and Blu-ray in Region 1 on August 3, 2010 but those releases are out-of-print and prices for them on the secondary market are quite high. Does anyone know if Cohen Media Group has any plans to release the film on DVD and Blu-ray in Region 1? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sean

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Looks like they did a restoration and re-issue in 2013. This version is currently streaming on the Criterion Channel. It looks OK as if they have boosted the color and improved the contrast. Not sure just what shape the elements are in at this point, so maybe this is as good as it's going to get. Here is the restoration trailer:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
There are three BDs available: a UK BD/DVD combo that's identical to Kino's BD and is far more reasonably priced. Cheaper still is a recent legitimate Spanish BD. All have the same Film Foundation-restored transfer, premiered at the 2008 NYFF.

If the film ever does get re-released, a great extra would be the feature length Spanish documentary, La noche que no acaba (The Night That Doesn't End, 2010). It's about Ava's claims that even though Pandora wasn't her most famous or successful film, it was the one that changed her life and led to her spending the second half of it living in London and Spain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's a UK BD/DVD combo that's identical to Kino's BD and is far more reasonably priced. Cheaper still is a recent legitimate Spanish BD. All three have the same Film Foundation-restored transfer, premiered at the 2008 NYFF.

If the film ever does get re-released, a great extra would be the feature length Spanish documentary, La noche que no acaba (The Night That Doesn't End). It's about her claims that even though Pandora wasn't Ava's most famous or successful film, it was the one that changed her life and led to her spending the second half of it living in London.
London and Spain.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The original negative is still with turner. One shot was used from this film ibn a montage to the song "You Stepped out of a dream". It looks glorious there.

And no one sought to access it? Very odd.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I emailed the Cohen Media Group about the status of Pandora and The Flying Dutchman and they said that they are currently working on a 4K restoration of the film and hope to release it in 2020.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Great news. I have never seen a good version of this film but given its unique natural.... and the cinematography by the peerless Technicolor expert Jack Cardiff... this will be well worth waiting for.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I emailed the Cohen Media Group about the status of Pandora and The Flying Dutchman and they said that they are currently working on a 4K restoration of the film and hope to release it in 2020.
I'll wait until I hear a reliable opinion about this new restoration, but if "the word" is good, I'll gladly upgrade from the sub-standard existing Blu-ray disc.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I probably adored the Kino BD so much because the DVD I had owned was so dreadfully dark and soft. The Kino seemed a revelation to me then. I'd certainly spring for a new version, however. Big fan here of Albert Lewin of Bel Ami and Dorian Gray fame. The one I really wish they'd give the HD treatment to is The Moon and Sixpence where the wonderful George Sanders again rules the proceedings this time as Paul Gauguin. Any chance of that, "Powers That Be"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks