What's new

Dancing with the Stars Season 28 returns to ABC 9/16/19 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The fall 2019 cast for the 28th season of Dancing with the Stars was announced today.

1 Lauren Alaina - Country music singer
2 Christie Brinkley- Model & actress
3 Ally Brooke- Fifth Harmony singer
4 Hannah Brown- The Bachelorette star and Miss Alabama USA 2018
5 Karamo Brown- Queer Eye expert & activist
6 Kate Flannery- The Office actress
7 Ray Lewis- Former NFL linebacker
8 Kel Mitchell- Nickelodeon actor & comedian
9 Lamar Odom- Former NBA forward
10 Sean Spicer- Former White House Press Secretary
11 James Van Der Beek- Actor
12 Mary Wilson- The Supremes singer

Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews return as hosts and the judges Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba return as well. Show returns September 16th on ABC.

The Pro dancers are listed below. I guess who is partnered with who will be shown on the premiere. And there’s 2 additional pros then stars listed above.

1 Brandon Armstrong
2 Lindsay Arnold
3 Alan Bersten
4 Cheryl Burke
5 Witney Carson
6 Val Chmerkovskiy
7 Sasha Farber
8 Jenna Johnson
9 Daniella Karagach
10 Keo Motsepe
11 Peta Murgatroyd
12 Pasha Pashkov
13 Gleb Savchenko
14 Emma Slater

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The season is half over and I guess there’s not a lot of enthusiasm to post about it. Ha, ha. I think the show has lost some interest with the turn over of some of the original pros and probably just that the show has been around a while.

This season has been ok, it had a rough start with Christie Brinkley having to bow out after an injury and her daughter Sailor taking her place. I’ve seen most of each episode, missed a dancer here and there. I don’t have a favorite yet, though several are looking good.

Last night’s elimination was a shocker and I can see Sailor wasn’t taking it well. She was doing really well too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you are referring to Spicer, he must be hanging on by sheer personality!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Shocking elimination in the semi-finals last night. I’ve never seen Dawson’s Creek or know James Van Der Beek’s work, but I started to feel he was one of the top dancers in the last few weeks and I thought he had a strong chance to win. It’s unfortunate he had such bad personal news so that affected his performance last night. Maybe it was just as well as he might not have been his best next week. Of the final 4 left, I really don’t have a favorite among them.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
After watching every season, my wife was so turned off when the dance became less important than the popularity of a contestant and basically a non-dancer won, that she vowed never to watch the show again. Because of this, we have not seen this season at all.

Have things changed? Were safeguards put in place this year to prevent this happening again?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
After watching every season, my wife was so turned off when the dance became less important than the popularity of a contestant and basically a non-dancer won, that she vowed never to watch the show again. Because of this, we have not seen this season at all.

Have things changed? Were safeguards put in place this year to prevent this happening again?
That's what happens to any competition where the public plays a role in the voting. Pretty much why I gave up on American Idol years ago and don't ever watch any of these so-called "competitions" any more. It becomes more about looks and personality than talent.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I used to look forward to watching this show as much, if not more, than any other current series, scripted or unscripted. And after a full year off I figured I'd be eager to return to the ballroom. But this season has just not been very interesting. Part of this I'm sure is fatigue from 20-some previous seasons. But I also find this cast of 'stars' to be rather dull. Also, Carrie Anne's schtick is getting old, Bruno's is already old, and the pavlovian booing that follows Len's legitimate criticism has become ridiculous.

Another issue I'm having with this season is the lackluster choreography - DWTS is feeling the loss of Derek Hough, Marc Ballas and Karina Smirnoff. Lindsey is the best choreographer on the show this season, but they saddled her with someone who can't dance. Finally, Spicer's advancement over better dancers echoes a similar situation from the previous season. It's not a fair competition when that happens.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can see that for the Pros like Derek and Macs and Karina Ann Marc Ballas, it’s tough to go that many weeks and keep up the creativity and hope your body holds up too. They also got some fame from the show, so maybe they thought they could use that to move into other ventures. I’m not sure it worked that well for Derek’s sister.

About this season, the change they made about voting is that it’s still important if you have a favorite couple you want to come back the next week, you need to call in and vote. But they added one new feature to help make that seem fairer. The two couples that have the lowest total scores will face the judges and they have to decide which couple will be saved for the next week.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
What a humdrum season finale. In past seasons there were bigger production numbers and location shooting at the Grove, all decked out for the holidays. All of the couples voted out would get a final dance together. The freestyles always were the most entertaining performances of the season. None of that happened this time around, and the choice of winners will likely be greeted with questions over whether ABC synergy had more to do with the result than judges votes or viewer calls. Unless it was planned and didn't air because they were running out of time, there was also no announcement about when the show would be back. Perhaps that is for the best.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’d agree, the finale was missing many elements from the past. I did expect to see the dancers that were voted off to come back for a final dance.

Most of the stars this season I didn’t have any interest in. As the season went along I really started to like James. He seemed to have a spark. As for who won, I felt that seemed rigged as well. I always didn’t like that they invite a bachelor or bachelorette as a “Star” as I felt these people only did those shows as a way to get a foot in the door in the entertainment business. Hannah was OK but I’d say her very last dance was pretty cool with the flip she did. She must have won a lot of fans doing the bachelorette show so that must have been what kept her in.

They were running out of time at the end so maybe they didn’t get a chance to announce a return. Hopefully there’s another season and it’s improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks