What's new

Pre-Order Sleeping Beauty: The Signature Collection (1959) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Attachments

• 248387_front.jpg
    248387_front.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While we appreciate our readers using the widget links to preorder titles, we are not certain that anyone buying a Disney title will actually receive it on time or at all via Amazon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Considering that this was filmed in 70mm and is probably the most visually stunning film of the Walt era, I'm a bit surprised Disney isn't using this to test the waters in regards to how a Walt-era film will sell on 4K.

That being said, I think I'm good with the earlier Platinum Edition release.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Considering that this was filmed in 70mm and is probably the most visually stunning film of the Walt era, I'm a bit surprised Disney isn't using this to test the waters in regards to how a Walt-era film will sell on 4K.

That being said, I think I'm good with the earlier Platinum Edition release.

I too am not keen on repurchasing this (even if it is my favorite Disney film), though I will admit it’s surprising that they’re not using it to test out vintage Disney on 4K, especially since they were extremely quick to use this film to test out the Blu-ray format (before even the Renaissance films).

Oh, and a slight correction, Sleeping Beauty was actually shot in Technirama (horizontal 35mm), then printed to 70mm.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Last I read, yes.

Warner too.

But Amazon continues to list their products and one doesn't really know if preordered titles will actually arrive on release day or not.
I've noticed this occurs more often with new releases than with re-issued catalog.

I've had a theory as to what this is all about, and it has to do with Redbox, believe it or not, although Disney has allowed Redbox to purchase discs from them again despite the still on-going legal battle over the resale of digital codes. When Redbox can't obtain copies (or enough copies) to rent out at their kiosks, they send out employees to retailers like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon, to name just a few to purchase multiple copies of the same title. Most retailers, as part of their resale agreement with the studios, are restricted to selling no more than three copies of a particular movie to a customer. Having worked at Best Buy, the registers will not allow the scanning of more than 3 of the same movie UPC codes on a single transaction, and their website works the same way. Both Target and Walmart follow this rule, too. But not Amazon. You can pre-order large quantities (well over 3) of pretty much any movie they sell on DVD, Blu-ray, etc. Most studios probably don't care what Redbox does, but apparently Disney does, as they want Redbox to only purchase directly from them. And since Redbox rarely carries older Disney movies to rent in their kiosks, most catalog titles are readily available from Amazon.

Again, this is just a theory, but when you think about it, it does make a lot of sense.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I have the previous blu, but would definitely buy if released on 4K.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
...Another one?

Yes. I don't think Disney really expects people to double or triple dip on this title. This release is a courtesy for those who haven't bought it yet because the other versions are out of print. Also, it probably represents the last opportunity for Disney to make any money on it on the Blu-ray format because they've already said that all of their Signature Collection titles will be on Disney+ at launch. This is obviously why they are releasing Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians in such a short span of time. Presumably The Jungle Book will follow soon too, plus whatever they are going to do with Fantasia.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sleeping Beauty become unique in being the only classic having 3 separate Named Bluray releases -- Platinum, Diamond, and Signature.
Barring some bizarre event that Jungle Book escapes a Signature Release, it also appears to be the only Named Cycle that will have all 13 Vault Titles in the same cycle/format and hopefully eventually Fantasia whether it's officially labelled Signature or not (they withheld Platinum and Diamond status)

Pinocchio skipped from Platinum to Signature and was the only title that didn't get a Diamond Release

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Also...what awful cover art.

Agreed. All that I can say to sum up my opinion about it is YIKES, that’s bad, and I usually don’t care about cover art.

Also, Darkrock, that last cover in your post is actually a repurposing of the Deluxe Edition laserdisc cover from the 90’s.

9511CS-front.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks