What's new

Disney+ Ms. Marvel (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MsMarvel_001.jpg

At D23, it was announced that a Ms. Marvel series, centered around the Kamala Khan iteration of the character, will be coming to Disney+ at an unspecified future date. In the comics, Khan is a Pakistani American teenager from New Jersey. Her powers mostly relate to transformation: she can grow and shrink like Ant-Man, she can elongate limbs like Mr. Fantastic, and and she can shape shift like the Skrulls.

Kevin Feige confirmed that the Ms. Marvel introduced in this series would also appear in Marvel Studios feature films.

Bisha K. Ali ("Four Weddings and a Funeral") will serve as showrunner.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is live action, right? The first report I heard was that it was animated, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is live action, right? The first report I heard was that it was animated, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Yes, live action. This one won't get made until after the first (only?) seasons of "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier", "WandaVision", "Loki", and "Hawkeye" and probably won't debut on Disney+ until 2022. That's why there's no casting announced yet.

I would guess that they'll use a similar strategy to the casting of Tom Holland as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War for Kamala Khan: wait until fairly close to production and then cast an 18 or 19 year old who looks like she's sixteen.

I had been rooting for this to be a Marvel/Netflix series a few years back, but now I'm happy it didn't go that way since those are kaput and the involvement of Marvel Studios means that the events of the series won't be ignored by the feature films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah will be the producing directors for "Ms. Marvel". They are Muslim like the title character, having grown up in Belgium with parents who immigrated from Morocco. They successfully rejuvenated a long dormant franchise with Bad Boys for Life, which was also the best reviewed movie in the franchise.

Also directing episodes in the first season:
  • Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, who won two Oscars for her documentary shorts about life in Pakistan, will also direct for the series.
  • Meera Menon, an Indian-American filmmaker who has directed many episodes of genre television, including a second season episode of "The Punisher" for Netflix and Marvel Television.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Marvel Studios has apparently put out the following casting call for the first season of "Ms. Marvel":
SHEIKH: Male, 50-70s, Middle Eastern, he's the Sheikh at the local Mosque. Warm, kind and understanding, he's always there to lend an ear.

FARIHA: Female, 30s, Sudanese, smart and intimidating. She is willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants, no matter what (or who) gets in her way.

AADAM: Male, 30s, Egyptian, Sudanese, Arab, Muslim, he's a big guy, physically intimidating at first glance, but comedic, funny and smart.

AUNTIE RUBY: Female, Pakistani, 50s-70s, vibrant, spirited and animated. She's always in the know and never at a loss for words.
If true, the show's got to be fairly close to beginning shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if we got casting for the title character soon.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marvel Studios has apparently put out the following casting call for the first season of "Ms. Marvel":

If true, the show's got to be fairly close to beginning shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if we got casting for the title character soon.

...who in the fu*k are any of those characters (minus Sheikh Abdullah, of course)?

I never understand shows that take the time to use an established property and use virtually none of it. That's why I abandoned that Preacher abomination about midway through episode one and would rather watch a Kardashian show than that if given the choice.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...who in the fu*k are any of those characters (minus Sheikh Abdullah, of course)?

I never understand shows that take the time to use an established property and use virtually none of it. That's why I abandoned that Preacher abomination about midway through episode one and would rather watch a Kardashian show than that if given the choice.
Maybe they're using fake character names for casting? That doesn't make alot of sense because it's not like fans don't know what characters would be used. However, the last three characters in that list seem reasonably close to Kamala/Ms. Marvel's family just with different names.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I know pretty much nothing about this character's supporting cast, except that it is set in Jersey City. I do know a lot about Jersey City, so I hope they get those details right.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't be surprised if we got casting for the title character soon.

To borrow a phrase used in another Disney property:

Her name is Iman Vellani. It's wonderful that they gave this to an unknown. If she's good, it is absolutely a potential star-making role.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Her name is Imon Vellani. It's wonderful that they gave this to an unknown. If she's good, it is absolutely a potential star-making role.

The thing that excites me the most about this casting is that she's a teenager playing a teenager, much like Tom Holland as Peter Parker when he was first cast. A lot of the names that were being thrown around were actresses in their late twenties, and the show just wouldn't have had the same verisimultude if they'd gone the "Beverly Hills 90210" route with casting.

It doesn't look like she has any prior film or television credits, but I did find an interview with her from last September when she was on a panel of twelve teenagers at TIFF selected to identify films that would resonate with young people. She was 17 at the time, so she has to be 18 now -- only two years older than her character. Apparently she's from the greater Toronto area; given everything going on with COVID-19, I'm wondering if they're shifting production from Atlanta to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sizzle Reel:

The actual footage from the first season starts 55 seconds in.

Confirmed cast: Iman Vellani, Aramis Knight, Saagar Shaikh, Rish Shah, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Matt Lintz, Yasmeen Fletcher, Laith Naki, Azher Usman, Travina Springer and Nimra Bucha.

Premiere date: "Late 2021"

Marvel also confirmed that Iman Vellani will be reprising her role in the second Captain Marvel film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Official show synopsis:

"Ms. Marvel focuses on fan-favorite Kamala Khan - a 16-year-old Pakistani-American growing up in Jersey City. A great student, avid gamer, and voracious fan-fic scribe, Kamala has a special affinity for Super Heroes, particularly Captain Marvel. However, Kamala struggles to fit in at home and at school — that is, until she gets super powers like the heroes she’s always looked up to. Life is easier with super powers, right?"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they'll have her use her "original" early, handmade one from the comics first before they transition into the "shiny" refined suit, there.
Based on set photos, she'll start out wearing a version of Brie Larson's Captain Marvel suit, like the kind of Halloween costume you'd buy at Party City.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks