What's new

Disney+ She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
SheHulk_S01_001.png
Lawyer Jennifer Walters was transformed into a Gamma-powered Super Hero thanks to her cousin Bruce Banner, and backs up her sensational strength with her savage wit and confidence as She-Hulk! We'll see how her story unfolds on Marvel Studios' 'She-Hulk', streaming exclusively on Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's interesting that Disney can do this without Universal interference, when considering that they can't do a Hulk-branded feature without Universal. I mean, obviously they can, because they wouldn't have announced it if they had any doubts about its legality. But it's interesting.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that Disney can do this without Universal interference, when considering that they can't do a Hulk-branded feature without Universal. I mean, obviously they can, because they wouldn't have announced it if they had any doubts about its legality. But it's interesting.
It's the same screwy situation as the Hulk. Marvel Studios owns the exclusive production rights to the character, but Universal owns the film distribution rights. So we'll probably never see a She-Hulk solo feature film, but this is a way around that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's the same screwy situation as the Hulk. Marvel Studios owns the exclusive production rights to the character, but Universal owns the film distribution rights. So we'll probably never see a She-Hulk solo feature film, but this is a way around that.

By that logic, we could see a Hulk series on Disney+.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Fan-art, obviously, but I LIKE it:

KzrZBhx.jpg

It's not like she hasn't juggled two shows before. Plus it would continue the proud MCU tradition of casting actors from Community, and I'd rather have her than Chevy.

...Or, if we're still talking about casting actors from GLOW, Betty Gilpin would be great in this.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
She is a phenomenally talented actress, but maybe even more important for this project, she can perform very well in green screen and CGI environments in addition live actors, which is not a skill that everyone has. I always believe Maslany when she performs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Really exciting casting for sure, but an interesting choice given how petite she is. It would seem to indicate that She-Hulk will be a CG creation like the MCU Hulk is, and that Jennifer Walters won't spend the entire time in her She-Hulk form the way she has for most of the run of the comics.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Really exciting casting for sure, but an interesting choice given how petite she is. It would seem to indicate that She-Hulk will be a CG creation like the MCU Hulk is, and that Jennifer Walters won't spend the entire time in her She-Hulk form the way she has for most of the run of the comics.

Sounds like the producers--half of whom wanted to get around Universal rights for doing a Mark Ruffalo He-Hulk series, and the other half who never read the comics, and thought Jennie was a cheap empowerment-fantasy "Captain Marvel with a color tint"--were going for something resembling the infamous flop 70's Stan Lee comic, where she had to hide her transformation from her career and boyfriend.
(The casting of Orphan Black's actress, and general persecution-masochistic tone of most female-centric series, plus our almost getting neurotically misandric writer Dana Schwartz, rather hints in that direction.)

It was only after She-Hulk got a "boost" of radiation in the later print comics after her solo run (while she was filling in with the Avengers and Fantastic Four) that she turned full-time green and her character gelled:
Since, like Ruffalo in Endgame, she still had her personality, the idea was that instead of "rage", Shulkie had a sexy/aggressive self-confidence that produced one of the great Marvel Wisecrackers...In the spirit of Tony Stark, Peter Parker, and Deadpool.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sounds like the producers--half of whom wanted to get around Universal rights for doing a Mark Ruffalo He-Hulk series, and the other half who never read the comics, and thought Jennie was a cheap empowerment-fantasy "Captain Marvel with a color tint"--were going for something resembling the infamous flop 70's Stan Lee comic,

David Anthony Kraft.

Stan wrote issue #1, which was quite successful. 2-24 were all DAK.

Otherwise, you're right. Shulkie got much more popular under Stern in Avengers and Byrne in Fantastic Four, especially after Byrne jettisoned the ability to transform.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Stan wrote issue #1, which was quite successful. 2-24 were all DAK.
Otherwise, you're right. Shulkie got much more popular under Stern in Avengers and Byrne in Fantastic Four, especially after Byrne jettisoned the ability to transform.

Byrne later wrote the more popular "Sensational She-Hulk" spoof title (the one where Shulkie famously held up Stan Lee #1, and threatened to rip up our X-Men comics if we didn't read her title "this time")--
Where SH not only invented Deadpool's act of fourth-walling to the reader ("Oh, great, a villain subplot, that means another three issues before I get to find out who THIS guy is!"), but also got to team up with, ahem, other long-lost "flop" characters from old expired 70's Marvel titles, like the Space Truckers and Howard the Duck.

That's the Jennie I remember, and if the overly representation-struck female crew or audience remembers her too, I'll be...pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No.

I'd invite you to reconsider your involvement in these threads. I'm going to be reporting each and every offensive/trolling/rules-breaking post you make.

Report, don't reply. Nobody wins when you get involved publicly. Mods see your reports fast enough, action may take longer than you like.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
No. I'd invite you to reconsider your involvement in these threads. I'm going to be reporting each and every offensive/trolling/rules-breaking post you make.

Don't shoot the messenger, Tex--I'm only reporting what the fans said:
There was a HUGE blowup among the print-comic fans when Schwartz was announced, starting from her never having written a Marvel print or film project in her life, but then for a series of deliberately contentious and gender-loaded Tweets against the fans, and the "male-dominated Western canon of literature", on social media when they complained.

Fans had already been wary of what direction post-Brie Larson Marvel was going to go with Jennie/Shulkie--especially with a writer who wasn't familiar with the better nuances of the character and was going for the cheap symbolism of the Stan Lee-era incarnation--and Schwartz's clearly issue-driven "hater"-baiting didn't exactly dissuade them out of their fears.
Organized outrage eventually kicked Schwartz off the staff after her social-media, quote, "meltdown", and led to more focused choices for director and show-runner. Me, however, I'm still in wait-and-see mode, as I expect a majority of fans still are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks