What's new

Pre-Order The Nude Bomb (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81iVfB5VFHL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see this happening. I loved the Get Smart series, and I always thought this film was funny. I remember this came out a few weeks before The Empire Strikes Back, and every trip to the movies brought me closer to the new Star Wars movie. Yes, it lacks most of the cast (Barbara Feldon is the biggest omission, as well as Ed Platt, who had already died) and doesn't have the creative input of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, but I still find it funny. It was co-written by Leonard Stern.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I remember being very disappointed when I saw this opening weekend as a teenager. Thought it was inept and not funny at all. Haven’t seen it since so I’m curious to watch it again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This couldn’t be nearly as bad as that reboot with Andy Dick.

Geez, I have no memory of that at all - had to look it up on IMDB.

I thought you meant the 2008 movie but nope - there was a short-lived series in 1995.

Wouldn't call it a reboot, though, since Don Adams and Barbara Feldon were in it...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, it was a continuation with the original cast. The Cold War was over by then. It seemed like all these continuations were missing something essential without Edward Platt, who died in 1974, as the Chief.

and doesn't have the creative input of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, but I still find it funny. It was co-written by Leonard Stern.

Mel Brooks was starting work on History of the World Part 1, and Buck Henry was making a film called First Family with Bob Newhart, Madeline Kahn, and Gilda Radner. But it’s Barbara Feldon’s non-presence here I can’t account for. Wasn’t she in the TV movie reunion in 1989?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, it was a continuation with the original cast. The Cold War was over by then. It seemed like all these continuations were missing something essential without Edward Platt, who died in 1974, as the Chief.

Mel Brooks was starting work on History of the World Part 1, and Buck Henry was making a film called First Family with Bob Newhart, Madeline Kahn, and Gilda Radner. But it’s Barbara Feldon’s non-presence here I can’t account for. Wasn’t she in the TV movie reunion in 1989?

You absolutely hit the nail on the head when bringing up Barbara Feldon. Her omission in this film was a real head-scratcher.

I only halfway like this film because I am a GET SMART fan, but it really is a bad film and a lot of money was saved by filming it on the backlot of Universal, which is very apparent here if I remember correctly.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
She did a TV-movie instead:

a lot of money was saved by filming it on the backlot of Universal, which is very apparent here if I remember correctly.

And the Blu-ray is likely going to bring the cost-cutting measures to light. I guess once it was apparent Agent 99 would not be in it, they decided not to allow too much of a budget, one that a location shoot would have required, on it.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Liked Vittorio Gassman playing the bad guy. The film was supposed to be titled 'The Return of Maxwell Smart' but the producers thought the new title would draw more folks in the theater.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Liked Vittorio Gassman playing the bad guy. The film was supposed to be titled 'The Return of Maxwell Smart' but the producers thought the new title would draw more folks in the theater.

Unfortunately, the title lead to at least one review I remember, which was titled "Nude Or Not, It's Still a Bomb."

In the movie, Max chases someone to the Universal studios backlot, and we see the tour and highlights from it, which prompted the review above to comment "The sequence goes on longer than any commercial should."

Feldon would be back for Get Smart Again in 1989, which is the reunion movie the show deserved.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember seeing this on VHS once...AND HATING IT!

The ‘89 reunion was great from what I remember. Never saw the 1995 series. I liked the 2008 film a lot and would have welcomed a sequel. The original series is still one of my favorite comedy series of all time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
According to IMDB blurb:

"According to Barbara Feldon, she was not offered the chance to reprise her role of 99 but she would not have accepted even if she had been."

And Wiki:

"Feldon said that she no knowledge of the film's production, much less offered a part."

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Already got the UK Blu-ray of this film.

Despite the title, there is very little nudity if any. A fuzzy fleeting shot of the three main characters at the end of the film running from the camera.

Never saw the film till I got the Blu. Somewhat enjoyable but not for repeat viewings.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And Universal seemed to look the other way when Paramount used a similar title for that Leslie Nielsen cop trilogy, itself based on a (less successful) TV show. Except this time, Universal did not own the rights to the original show.

According to IMDB blurb:

"According to Barbara Feldon, she was not offered the chance to reprise her role of 99 but she would not have accepted even if she had been."

And Wiki:

"Feldon said that she no knowledge of the film's production, much less offered a part."

Would you believe this still came to Blu-ray before Smile, which she was actually in?

Already got the UK Blu-ray of this film.

Despite the title, there is very little nudity if any. A fuzzy fleeting shot of the three main characters at the end of the film running from the camera.

Never saw the film till I got the Blu. Somewhat enjoyable but not for repeat viewings.

They seem to have been caught in a corner where they wanted to do something more risqué than TV would allow but not to the point where it would be Rated R and thus kids' access to it would be limited. Ironically, the film's director, Clive Donner, finished his career in TV where he directed George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge in the 1984 A Christmas Carol after having edited the 1951 Alaistar Sim Scrooge back in England.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Other than the fact that they both refer to nudity and weapons they have virtually nothing in common.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw both of those movies upon their releases in 1980 and 1988 (and several times since) and never made the connection.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Don Adams is Agent 86 in
THE NUDE BOMB
The Classic 1980 "Get Smart!" Movie
Coming to Blu-ray December 10
from Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Special Edition Packed with Bonus Features including
Two Audio Commentaries by Sledge Hammer! Creator Alan Spencer and Film Historian & Critic Peter Tonguette, Deleted/Extended/Alternate Scenes, Promotional Image Galleries, and Much More!
bb9b467d-6142-41c5-b83d-50cdabe49bb8.jpg

S.gif

New York, NY -- December 4, 2019 -- Kino Lorber Studio Classics announces the release of THE NUDE BOMB, starring the great Don Adams as Maxwell Smart (Agent 86), the role that made him a star on the hit TV series "Get Smart!". Adams brings Agent 86 to the big screen in this big-scale spoof of Hollywood spy movies that features a hilarious cast including Sylvia Kristel (Emmanuelle), Rhonda Fleming (Inferno), Dana Elcar (The Sting), Pamela Hensley (Rollerball), Norman Lloyd (Saboteur) and Vittorio Gassman (Big Deal on Madonna Street).

THE NUDE BOMB comes to Blu-ray on December 10 with an SRP of $29.95, in a special edition packed with never-before-released bonus features that offer something new for long-time "Get Smart!" fans. This Dual-Layered BD50 Disc includes audio commentaries by Sledge Hammer!creator Alan Spencer, and film historian/critic Peter Tonguette, deleted, extended and alternate scenes, textless opening/closing credits, image galleries of domestic and international lobby cards and posters, promotional materials and costumes, deleted scenes and behind-the-scenes photos, 3 radio spots, 2 TV spots, the original theatrical trailer, and a special Trailers from Hell featuring Alan Spencer.

In THE NUDE BOMB, Agent 86 is assigned to battle an evil villain who is threatening to drop a "nude bomb" capable of destroying all the fabric in the world. With only 48 hours, some voluptuous assistants, and his questionable spy skills to help him, Maxwell Smart certainly has his hands full trying to save the world from severe nakedness. Directed by Clive Donner (What's New Pussycat?), THE NUDE BOMB is a hilarious spoof that is sure to leave you in stitches!

Alan Spencer on THE NUDE BOMB

The Nude Bomb (1980)
Director: Clive Donner
Starring Don Adams, Sylvia Kristel, Rhonda Fleming, Andrea Howard, Vittorio Gassman, Dana Elcar, Pamela Hensley, Norman Lloyd, Bill Dana, Joey Forman

Blu-ray Street Date: December 10, 2019
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95

Bonus Features:
Audio Commentary by Sledge Hammer! Creator Alan Spencer
Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Film Critic Peter Tonguette
Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
Deleted/Extended and Alternate Scenes
Textless Opening/Closing Credits
TRAILERS FROM HELL with Alan Spencer
Lobby Cards & Posters - Image Gallery
Promotional Materials & Costumes - Image Gallery
Behind-the-Scenes - Image Gallery
Alternate Scenes - Image Gallery
3 Radio Spots
2 TV Spots
Theatrical Trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks