What's new

Memory: The Origins of Alien (2019)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Memory: The Origins of Alien

Tagline: Before Alien, there was Starbeast. Before Starbeast, there was… Memory.

Genre: Documentary

Director: Alexandre O. Philippe

Cast: Ronald Shusett, Roger Christian, Ivor Powell, Terry Rawlings, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Roger Corman, Gary Sherman, Carmen Scheifele-Giger, Clarke Wolfe, Diane O'Bannon, Adam Egypt Mortimer, Ben Mankiewicz, William Linn, Henry Jenkins, Axelle Carolyn, Tim Boxell, Bijan Aalam, Linda Rich, Rhoda Pell, Mickey Faerch, Shannon Muchow

Release: 2019-01-24

Runtime: 95

Plot: The untold origin story behind Ridley Scott's Alien - rooted in Greek and Egyptian mythologies, underground comics, the art of Francis Bacon, and the dark visions of Dan O'Bannon and H.R. Giger. A contemplation on the symbiotic collaborative process of movie-making, the power of myth, and our collective unconscious.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Only thing about this is that the DVD/BD sets were almost exhaustively comprehensive on the making of “Alien” that I wonder if this will incorporate anything new.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Only thing about this is that the DVD/BD sets were almost exhaustively comprehensive on the making of “Alien” that I wonder if this will incorporate anything new.

agreed. Alien may be my favorite film ever, if not at least in the top 3. But after decades of mostly disappointing sequels, I feel it's time to walk away from any more Alien stories or docs. I will enjoy the original occasionally and let it exist without any other distractions. One grand movie pumped for one last drop of tepid excitement.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The release date in the OP says 2019-01-24 which is assume is a typo. A google says October 4th. I wonder if this will make to Podunk (Little Rock) AR? I will see it if it does. Failing that, I hope it makes it to Netflix or Prime.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
giphy.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Welp that was a disappointing post as it has nothing to do with the movie Memories.

Whatever happened to that. Did it get released?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Welp that was a disappointing post as it has nothing to do with the movie Memories.

Whatever happened to that. Did it get released?
There are DVD and Blu-Ray versions on sale from Amazon Marketplace vendors, so I would say "Yes."

As for the "untold origin story," I wonder if it mentions that Nature thought of "chest-bursters" first.

Wired – Absurd Creature of the Week: The Wasp That Lays Eggs Inside Caterpillars and Turns Them Into Slaves

YouTube – Parasitoid wasps: Like the Alien movies, but real!

Scientific American – How a Wasp Turns Cockroaches into Zombies

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
A. E. van Vogt is credited with introducing the "chest-burster" alien in this December 1939 SF story---

ASTDEC1939.jpg

From the website HorrorNews.Net:

"... things got ugly when science fiction writer A. E. Van Vogt sued 20th Century Fox, claiming Alien was lifted from his 1950 science fiction novel Voyage of the Space Beagle. Fox shrugged it off as another in the parade of nuisance lawsuits that often plague successful films—until someone actually read Van Vogt’s book.

"In the novel’s first section, entitled Black Destroyer, the Starship Beagle lands on a desolate planet where a vicious life form slips aboard and starts killing the crew. Eventually they trick the creature into a stellar lifeboat and eject it into space. Sounds kind of similar to Alien, but, like It! The Terror From Beyond Space, it could be a coincidence. But in the third section, Discord in Scarlet, the crew finds another creature adrift in a derelict alien spacecraft. They take it aboard and things go to hell fast. The creature, known as the Ixtl, is not only hostile but reproduces by laying its eggs inside a living human’s stomach, and eventually the hatchlings chew their way out. The Beagle crew survives by tricking the creature into an airlock and shooting it back into space. Does any of that sound familiar? 20th Century Fox thought so and quickly settled out of court for $50,000, which was real money back in 1979."

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks