What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Zombieland -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With a release aimed squarely at promoting Zombieland 2, Columbia's new 4k of the 2009 original, provides a decidedly entertaining 88 minutes of mayhem.

What I've realized in viewing Ruben Fleischer's original film, which I'd not seen since it's original release, is that the gun rights issue (and I'm not going to go anywhere political) falls very much into sync with my own feelings regarding the potential zombie problem.

When selecting a new vehicle, I generally go large and heavy, and have received more than a few odd looks from salespeople, when answering why I need something that large, I tell them that I'm uncomfortable unless I'm able to bring down hoards of zombies, and keep going.

My name is probably on some security list somewhere.

When it comes to firearms, with military, legit hunters and target shooters aside, I've never seen the need for large, military-type weaponry as seen in Zombieland, but would be at the front of the line, when the zombie infestation hits - and it will - for anything I can lift. These are mean critters, and those in Zombieland don't stalk around slowly.

John Papasidera, who was responsible for casting, should receive kudos for bringing in both Emma Stone, as well as Jesse Eisenberg, who were both but five or so films into their early careers, and performed beautifully under the apparent tutelage of the "grey-beard" in the bunch, Mr. Harrelson.

Abigail Breslin, then 12, is along for the fun, after her discovery turn in Little Miss Sunshine.

No idea what the source is for this master, which was shot on film, and completed as a 2k, but it looks fine, albeit without 4k detail.

A fun film, which makes me happy that deux is heading our way shortly.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
90% of 4k releases lack 4k detail.
However, that doesn't mean they're not a noticeable improvement over a Blu-ray release. Hiding behind that false 4K label for most 4K/UHD is just plain wrong. It won't happen, but they should drop the 4K and just say HDR/Dolby Vision release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
However, that doesn't mean they're not a noticeable improvement over a Blu-ray release. Hiding behind that false 4K label for most 4K/UHD is just plain wrong. It won't happen, but they should drop the 4K and just say HDR/Dolby Vision release.

The bucket holding the data is still 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The bucket holding the data is still 4k.
But, you're still not getting 4K detail as you stated. I just get tired of these same type of arguments we have regarding 4K versus 2K elements being used for these releases. I've been very happy with just about all of my 4K/UHD purchases whether it's actual native 4K or not, but I'm tired of same argument we seem to get into in threads like this one. TBH, I wonder how many of us can actually distinguished the differences between native 4K and 2K presentations on many of these 4K discs, especially with the video in motion and at our normal sitting position?

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But, you're still not getting 4K detail as you stated. I just get tired of these same type of arguments we have regarding 4K versus 2K elements being used for these releases. I've been very happy with just about all of my 4K/UHD purchases whether it's actual native 4K or not, but I'm tired of same argument we seem to get into in threads like this one. TBH, I wonder how many of us can actually distinguished the differences between native 4K and 2K presentations on many of these 4K discs, especially with the video in motion and at our normal sitting position?
I don’t care if it’s a 4K or a 2K scan, I just want the disc to look better than a blu when I pop it into my Oppo. I love this movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

From a nominal seating distance. Very few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks