Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Elementary: The Final Season DVD Review
elementary7top2-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Good review, thanks. I agree the weakest parts of the season were the transition back to New York, and Watson's blonde hair. I would add that it was a mistake not bringing Moriarty back in some way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would add that it was a mistake not bringing Moriarty back in some way.
Well, she exists as an off-screen puppeteer in a couple of episodes, but I know what you mean. Having her back in the flesh would have been a nice coda for the series. I guess Natalie was just too busy to come back.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When the entire series is made available in HD on iTunes at a reasonable price then and only then will I spend my money on buying this wonderful series on a home video format. Other than that, thank you for your review.;)

Similar sentiments here too from a slightly different perspective.

As much as I like this show during its first-run episodes, so far I've found that this show has almost no rewatch value for me. I still have most of the final season on the dvr which I haven't deleted yet, which I have watched already. I've found that this final season has no rewatch value for me.

Maybe I'll revisit this show in the future. (Maybe not).

(On a more general tangential rant).

I've found that it is largely hit-or-miss for me, as to whether a particular show has any rewatch value for me. This hit-or-miss can be further subdivided in regard to whether I'm watching on the dvr, dvd/bluray, streaming, reruns, etc ...

Most of my bad experiences with tv on dvd/bluray, were shows which had an extremely high rewatch value for me during their original first-runs where I watched then-current new episodes as many as a dozen times during the week(s) between new episodes. Though when I finally picked up the dvd (or bluray) season sets, these exact same shows had very little to no rewatch value for me on dvd/bluray. For example such as shows like Fringe, Person of Interest, the Nikita reboot, , etc ...

One very extreme case for me is The Big Bang Theory. I've found that this show is only watchable for me in live daily reruns and (formerly) first-run episodes on generic network tv. For reasons I don't understand, I've found that The Big Bang Theory is very difficult to watch on dvd/bluray. Also the times I recorded reruns on the dvr, I almost never watched them and they ended up being deleted unwatched. (I've found this was also the case for Star Trek reruns where I liked watching them in live daily reruns, but found very litte rewatch value for the exact same episodes on dvd/bluray or recorded to the dvr).

Currently the only shows which have any rewatch value for me on dvd and/or reruns, is stuff like Criminal Minds and the NCIS franchise. I'll admit it will be a crapshot roll-of-the-dice as to whether this will still be the case for me in the future, once Criminal Minds and/or NCIS go off the air completely. In practice, I've found that most tv shows' rewatch value for me nosedives to almost zero, once the show in no longer producing new episodes. For example, back in the day I use to watch daily CSI franchise reruns just about every day. Fast forward to today, I find that I have no interest anymore in watching the daily CSI reruns.

Essentially I have found no reliable indicator to determine what show has any rewatch value for me. It is largely a lot of trial and error in figuring out which shows have any rewatch value for me on dvd/bluray. No point in buying the dvd/bluray or a la carte downloads/streams, if something has very little to no rewatch value for me.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Rewatch value is certainly subjective.

I confirmed it here when I noticed some discoloration on a season 1 disc. "Had" to watch the pilot, then fast-forwarded the other three episodes plus bonus features to ensure they still tracked / played OK.

The disc is fine, and it was tons of fun for me seeing that pilot for the first time in a few years, now that we know where various storylines and characters ended up.

In "normal" viewing my wife and I are in the middle of the 6th season - there were some shows she missed on broadcast due to work schedules - and we look forward to revisiting the 7th.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With this many episodes and a plethora of convoluted mysteries, I find it very hard to remember the solutions of individual cases with most of the episodes in any given season. Just like with Perry Mason: I can watch the entire run of nine seasons, wait a few months, and then begin watching and not be able to piece together solutions before they're presented at the end.

But that's the way I encounter return visits to these mysteries. Others may have variable mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks