What's new

Does Anyone Make 3D HDTVs Any More? (1 Viewer)

starguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Gregory Furtman
I have an aging Panasonic 3D Plasma HDTV and over the years I have collected a number of 3D blurays. Panasonic made great displays but nothing lasts forever.

So do any manufactures still make 3D models. My current unit is 42". I can fit something a little larger in my living room but not too much larger.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not for a couple of years now. Only some projectors still support 3D.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I believe some are still manufactured in other countries aren’t they? We need a source to import to North America.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't think they're being made anywhere anymore. 3D discs are still more common in Europe and Asia, but 3D televisions are dead.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Honestly? I think they were just a fad that never took off. Currently, HDTV, 4K and the upcoming and rumored 8K are the ones that manufacturers are focused on. I just rarely see 3D releases anymore in stores.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I have to admit that @Worth is probably correct. I remember the same concern springing up when Betamax, VHS and the cassette tape were discontinued. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray 3D format didn't take off like the industry thought it would and just like the Betamax and Laserdisk formats, the industry won't invest in technology that nobody buys.

For me, I tend to stay away from 3D formats as well as movies and television shows that have high FPS. For me, it's because of medical concerns regarding the potential for seizures. I never thought there would be enough support, when the 3D Blu-ray format was released, that there would be enough consumers to adopt to it. I had always consider it a "niche" product and those never last too long. The 4K, 8K and higher formats had more of a chance to survive than the 3D market.

I think I only saw one 3D movie in my life and that was when I was small. It was the Creature From the Black Lagoon, way back during the late 70's, early 80's.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have to admit that @Worth is probably correct. I remember the same concern springing up when Betamax, VHS and the cassette tape were discontinued. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray 3D format didn't take off like the industry thought it would and just like the Betamax and Laserdisk formats, the industry won't invest in technology that nobody buys.

For me, I tend to stay away from 3D formats as well as movies and television shows that have high FPS. For me, it's because of medical concerns regarding the potential for seizures. I never thought there would be enough support, when the 3D Blu-ray format was released, that there would be enough consumers to adopt to it. I had always consider it a "niche" product and those never last too long. The 4K, 8K and higher formats had more of a chance to survive than the 3D market.

I think I only saw one 3D movie in my life and that was when I was small. It was the Creature From the Black Lagoon, way back during the late 70's, early 80's.
The studios, et al introduced a new format and did everything they could do to kill it. That has already been discussed in other forums and I won’t repeat those discussions here. Suffice it to day, it’s not definite that 3D was a niche market, just that the studios turned it into one.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
As you can see from the link below, there are several still available in the screen size range the original poster required. The fact that these televisions are multisystem (i.e., PAL and SECAM as well as NTSC) might or might not be useful. But it makes sense since 3D is more popular overseas than in the United States.

Interestingly, only one of the eleven models shown listed in this link is flagged as "discontinued".

https://www.220-electronics.com/multisystem-tvs/shopby/39-to-42_43-to-49/3d-.html

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
The thing that may revive the sputtering 3D home format is James Cameron and the Avatar sequels. I know many say they have little interest right now, but once the media tsunami pushing Avatar 2 starts, we all will be made to care. And Cameron, if he has pushed the 3D tech to new cinema heights, MAY rejuvenate it for the home theater too.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
This one never made sense to me - retire the hardware (the TV's), but continue to produce the software (the discs). Huh?!? It's like saying we'll continue to manufacture automobiles but no one is making tires anymore.

Last edited:

starguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Gregory Furtman

Plasmas have a much higher refresh rate than LCD HDTVs so the strobing of lower refresh rates is not a problem. They also have a much greater visual dynamic range than LCDs. Only OLED HDTVs have the dynamic range of a PlAsma.

If you think that current 3D movies are like the only one you've ever seen you are missing a treat. 3D is great!

As Mark mentioned James Cameron may energize 3D again. I saw Avatar in a theater in 3D. So I bought a 3D HDTV & player. Blame my 3D preference on Cameron. It is still, IMO, one of the best 3D technically films I have ever scene. I have Marvel movies in 3D and many other, including IMAX movies.

And I agree with Nick*Z. If the film industry is still selling 3D Blurays and still making 3D movies, the HDTV manufacturers should still be supporting 3D. Maybe the Movie Industry needs to kick a few butts.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
As you can see from the link below, there are several still available in the screen size range the original poster required. The fact that these televisions are multisystem (i.e., PAL and SECAM as well as NTSC) might or might not be useful. But it makes sense since 3D is more popular overseas than in the United States.

Interestingly, only one of the eleven models shown listed in this link is flagged as "discontinued".

https://www.220-electronics.com/multisystem-tvs/shopby/39-to-42_43-to-49/3d-.html
They may still be for sale, but all of the sets in that link were manufactured prior to 2016 and have since been discontinued.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
projector is the answer. I hope HTF will let us know if projectors with 3D are on the way out. I worry daily but don't want to get one yet. if I need to I can though.

If I went to see Clash of the Titans 3D for my first I would have figured it was not a good one since stuff like Avatar was getting so much attention. I'd have to see more. I'd probably see Hobbit, which I did, and Trek into Darkness, which I did, and Godzilla, which I did.. lol just one movie? wow!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would seem to make sense for some manufacturer to bring back a 3D model in their lineup. There are thousands of people out there that enjoy 3D and would like to upgrade/replace their 3D sets, and I'm sure they'd get some other customers that may have missed out previously and would like to try 3D at home.

I think the issue with home 3D, like with a lot of technology, was that they rushed it into the marketplace before it was really ready. Early 3D TV's didn't perform very well and were difficult to calibrate and get the best performance, and some of the glasses were kind of hard to use (if they worked at all). By the time they worked out the bugs and refined the technology, people had already been frustrated and gave up. Some of the lackluster 3D film conversions in the early days also did not help.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This one never made sense to me - retire the hardware (the TV's), continue to manufacture the software (the discs). Huh?!? It's like saying we'll continue to manufacture automobiles but no one is making tires anymore.
The software is quickly dying out too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
If they did new TVs I hope they would make it easier for average person to adjust out the cross talk. my Samsung has the prettiest picture I've ever seen on a TV. but the 3D ranges from jaw dropping to pants dropping (me mooning the friggin TV!!!)

I'm pretty well sold on getting a projector though. I thinking getting one early next year can be a thing I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks