What's new

Klipsch sub issue (1 Viewer)

Chuckin

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Burkel
Hello everyone, new here and looking for advice. I have a Klipsch R-112sw subwoofer that isn't powering up properly. If I unplug it and plug back in, the green light comes on for a second but quickly goes out. A faint crackle noise can be heard during that brief second. I tried to check the fuse, but it's not clear glass so I can't see. I'm assuming though, that the green light wouldn't come on at all if it were blown. It worked fine last I knew, but unfortunately I have a teenager in the house who of course has no idea what may have happened. ..yeah right. But regardless, I wasn't around to see or hear when any damage may have occurred. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chuck

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does it crackle even when nothing is playing?

Chuckin

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Burkel
Yes, I had it unplugged from the receiver as I investigated what was going on. I'm not sure that crackle would be the best description, but I wanted to stress that it did make a very slight sound. Power won't stay on long enough to do anything through the reciever.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something is clearly cooked. I don't know if it's the driver or the amp, possibly both. Possibly the driver is fried so bad that the voice coil is shorting or no longer conducting, which is making the amp shut off. That's speculation. You can push the cone back gently a few times, be certain to apply pressure in an even circle with your fingertips and push straight back. Listen closely and if there's a scraping sound, that indicates a blown driver.

Chuckin

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Burkel
Thank you for the response. I was able to push it in several times as you described with no visible signs of damage, and no scraping sound. No sound of any kind really. Does that indicate that the driver is fine, or just a sure sign if it's bad? Any tests I can run next? I don't know much about electronics, but I'm quite handy in general. I hate to write it off if it's fixable within reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Chuckin

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Burkel
Well that's good news I suppose. I'm at a loss what to do next though. It appears I can't just replace the amp plate, and I'm not comfortable with circuit boards and such. Do you believe it would be worth fixing or am I shopping subs? I already bought this one used, because my budget is tight. So there's no warranty or anything. It worked great for about 6 months. Thanks again for the advice

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You could always try replacing the fuse, since that would be cheap to do. But as you mentioned, if it's the fuse, it shouldn't turn on at all.

Chuckin

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Burkel
I'll pick up a fuse, although I'm not sure it will help. Would the light come on if the fuse is blown? Does anyone know of a good source to have it gone through and repaired at a reasonable cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks