What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Using Cinemascope beautifully and with a quartet of fine star performances, Raoul Walsh’s The Tall Men breaks no new ground in the western genre but remains a high quality, well-rounded entertainment.

The Tall Men (1955)

Released: 12 Dec 1955
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 122 min

Director: Raoul Walsh
Genre: Western

Cast: Clark Gable, Jane Russell, Robert Ryan, Cameron Mitchell
Writer(s): Sydney Boehm (screenplay), Frank S. Nugent (screenplay), Heck Allen (from the novel by)

Plot: Two brothers discharged from the Confederate Army join a businessman for a cattle drive from Texas to Montana where they run into raiding Jayhawkers, angry Sioux, rough terrain and bad weather.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like this movie a little more than you do, but I'm not ready to shell out $29.95 for it on Blu-ray as I'm quite happy with my 2012 German BD. Now, if somebody can tell me definitively that the TT release is an improvement over the Koch BD then I might change my mind. However, I do have it on HD Digital too.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You beat me to it - again. :)

The transfer is fantastic, but I await the usual suspects TEAL and TOO BLUE and these films never looked like this. Only they did, Blanche, they did. This is no different than any other Fox transfer of the last few years - it corrects the color of the old DVDs and previous home video transfers. There's tons of blue in this - TONS - blue lighting galore, all over the place and clearly blue gels on the lights.

I really liked the movie, too.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I like this movie a little more than you do, but I'm not ready to shell out $29.95 for it on Blu-ray as I'm quite happy with my 2012 German BD. Now, if somebody can tell me definitively that the TT release is an improvement over the Koch BD then I might change my mind. However, I do have it on HD Digital too.

This is a whole new transfer and is fantastic.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I’ve not yet had a chance to review, but from these frames, two things seem to appear, neither of which may be accurate.

First, left side of frame cropped. Secondly, image appears overly unsqueezed, which could be the desire to reach a 2.55 from 2.35 aspect ratio.

Yes, cropped on the left and a tiny bit on the bottom also.

a%20the%20tall%20men%20TALL_MEN-8.jpg

960__02_tall_men_blu-ray___.jpg

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Simply to put in my two cents about whether WARLOCK or THE TALL MEN are better Westerns. Of course, it all depends on how you define "Western."

WARLOCK is mostly staged on interior sets. It's character driven, very subtle and fascinating, if you get caught up in the interplay and character transformations. It's a great "psychological" Western. However, there are no real big action sequences.

THE TALL MEN, on the other hand, is filled with spectacular actions sequences, though the plot is really just a pin to hang those action sequences on. Clark Gable and Jane Russell don't play characters; they are larger than life versions of their typical personas. This is not meant as a criticism. They don't need to act. All they have to do is BE, and they both do that spectacularly.

I love both these films. I think both of them are wonderful examples of their specific type of Western, and I really can't see how one could argue that one is better than the other, as they're really completely different.

It's like which is better: Pizza or Coq au Vin? Well, it depends what you're looking for!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Completely incorrect - it is every bit as blue as the other Fox titles - try watching it rather than looking at random screen caps.

How can it be incorrect when I obviously commented on the caps that another member linked to and not the disc?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Simply to put in my two cents about whether WARLOCK or THE TALL MEN are better Westerns. Of course, it all depends on how you define "Western."

WARLOCK is mostly staged on interior sets. It's character driven, very subtle and fascinating, if you get caught up in the interplay and character transformations. It's a great "psychological" Western. However, there are no real big action sequences.

THE TALL MEN, on the other hand, is filled with spectacular actions sequences, though the plot is really just a pin to hang those action sequences on. Clark Gable and Jane Russell don't play characters; they are larger than life versions of their typical personas. This is not meant as a criticism. They don't need to act. All they have to do is BE, and they both do that spectacularly.

I love both these films. I think both of them are wonderful examples of their specific type of Western, and I really can't see how one could argue that one is better than the other, as they're really completely different.

It's like which is better: Pizza or Coq au Vin? Well, it depends what you're looking for!
I agree they are different films just as Warlock and Bandolero are different types of Western but the precedent was set in that thread to compare which is better which carried over here since all 3 are recent Twilight Time Western releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks