What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
X-Men: Dark Phoenix is, in a word, disappointing. The last hurrah for this stellar cast (with the X-Men characters now under the Marvel/Disney roof), is undone by an errant focus and relentless script flaws. There’s a tiredness that pervades this feature, a worn wandering sense where there once was vigor and spark (look back to the rejuvenating X-Men: First Class for that energy), and it all conspires to let down fans and let down the cast. The poor marketing campaign, and the bizarre decision to omit ‘X-Men’ from the title for its theatrical run (remedied here for the home release) certainly didn’t help.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dark Phoenix offers a full-throated Dolby Atmos track (that defaults to a rousing DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio if you aren’t Atmos enabled).

You might want to do a correction to your post as I do not think it is possible for a Dolby Atmos track to default to DTS-HD Master Audio. Non Atmos receivers or pre/pros will end up decoding the core Dolby True HD or Dolby Digital Plus track depending how the studio encoded the disc. Most likely though the audio will default to Dolby True HD and not DTS.

Thank you for the nice review as I am looking forward to adding this title to my 4K collection. :D

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
You might want to do a correction to your post as I do not think it is possible for a Dolby Atmos track to default to DTS-HD Master Audio. Non Atmos receivers or pre/pros will end up decoding the core Dolby True HD or Dolby Digital Plus track depending how the studio encoded the disc. Most likely though the audio will default to Dolby True HD and not DTS.

Thank you for the nice review as I am looking forward to adding this title to my 4K collection. :D
Hmm. Let me check again tonight. Thanks!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dark Phoenix 4K.jpg

I am actually surprised that Fox did not use DTS-X with a DTS-HD Master Audio core or just plane DTS-HD Master Audio like they usually use. I have many Fox releases on Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray in DTS.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just received my X Men Blu ray “package” from A.ca. Wow did it seem cheezy. There is a digital code, but only one disc. Usually, to make up for no 3D disc somewhat, they at least include the DVD.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Thanks for this, Dave. I've been away on business this week and was able to check tonight. I read my receiver display wrong :) I've updated the review.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Neil. I ended up renting this for free via Amazon using some digital credits, and I was equally disappointed in the film. I do not feel the need to buy this on UHD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked this film more than most around here, but I'm more likely to purchase the 4K digital than this 4K/UHD release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight for the first time, and I'm right down the line with Neil's review, point by point. There were some moments of interest and involvement, but far less than I am accustomed to in the X-Men universe, and I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in this one as I have been in almost every other installment in the series. The HDR was VERY effectively applied to the visuals in the UHD transfer, and I loved the look of the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching this movie again on 4K/UHD disc it confirmed my earlier assessment of the film. It's not among the best X-Men movies, but I give it a 3.5 film grade. The 4K disc itself is outstanding both video and audio-wise.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
After watching this movie again on 4K/UHD disc it confirmed my earlier assessment of the film. It's not among the best X-Men movies, but I give it a 3.5 film grade. The 4K disc itself is outstanding both video and audio-wise.

Agree, outstanding disc and great for showing friends how good 4k can be. Also, unlike many contemporary blockbusters, it's running time is under 2 hrs. No filler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks