What's new

Walker, Texas Ranger TV Reboot Official Announced (1 Viewer)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Have movie and television studios truly run out of original ideas? The latest news is that CBS Studios have announced a reboot of Walker, Texas Ranger and they've tapped Jared Padalecki in the key role.

CBS Television Studios has announced they’re developing a reboot of the Chuck Norris TV series, Walker, Texas Ranger with Supernatural‘s Jared Padalecki set to star. Deadline first reported the news. Anna Fricke (Wayward Pines, Minority Report, Being Human) will write and executive produce the series which is currently without a network or cable home. The reboot of the 90s series will be titled simply “Walker.”

Seriously? I remember when Walker, Texas Ranger first debuted on network television and the reason it was such a popular TV series was due to its star, Chuck Norris. While CBS will have to wait until Supernatural ends its final upcoming season.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1100835-jared-padalecki-to-star-in-walker-texas-ranger-reboot

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm as curious [and disappointed] as you seem to be regarding the low hanging fruit networks gravitate to these days. Sometimes it works but in this case I also agree it's a misfire. Chuck made that series and it cannot be remade with him. They would also need permission from Chucks beard.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I don't know what to think of this one. Chuck made Walker what it is. Can't they feature him in the series as well? The show would not be the same without him, dare I say, would not even work without him.....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting to see "Walker, Texas Ranger" reconfigured as a family drama. The fraught dynamic between Walker and his estranged daughter was the best part of this first hour for me.

The pilot was just as cheesy as the original series, and the convoluted backstory with his wife's murder seems like it will eat up a lot of screen time. Only one gratuitous karate kick, though, and not from Walker himself.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The fraught dynamic between Walker and his estranged daughter was the best part of this first hour for me.
That almost caused me to bail. Both this show and Mr. Mayor are both nearly ruined by screechy, bitchy teenage daughters.

Otherwise OK, but if the raging teen bitchfest continues, I'm out.

I did like Walker's comeback to the daughter's comment to her friend in the police station, "This is sooo embarrassing!"

Walker: "For who?"

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
This was absolutely terrible. My wife is a big fan of the original but she hated this reboot. I put this in the same class as the reboot Magnum P.I..

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's certainly not very good, but I do find it kind of oddly watchable. I think I like that it's undemanding of my brain or my attention.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Walker" Renewed for Season 2
The CW Press Release said:
THE CW GIVES EARLY RENEWALS TO 12 CURRENT SERIES FOR NEXT SEASON

Network Picks Up “All American,” “Batwoman,” “Charmed,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty,” “The Flash,”
“In The Dark,” “Legacies,” “Nancy Drew,” “Riverdale,” “Roswell, New Mexico” and “Walker” For the 2021-2022
Season

The CW Orders Additional Episodes of the Current Seasons of

Walker” and “Superman & Lois”

February 3, 2021 (Burbank, CA) —The CW Network today renewed 12 of its current scripted series for the 2021-2022 season, including its new breakout hit WALKER, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and CEO, The CW Network. Additionally, The CW is ordering 5 additional episodes for this season of WALKER, bringing its total episode count for 2020-2021 to 18, and 2 additional episodes of SUPERMAN & LOIS, bringing its total episode count for 2020-2021 to 15.

“Though we’re just a few weeks into the new season, we wanted to get a strategic head start on next season with these early renewals, which allows our production teams to start laying out story arcs and hiring staff, and at the same time, continues to provide us with a strong, stable schedule to build on for next season,” said Pedowitz. “As The CW’s 2020-2021 season kicks into high gear, we are thrilled creatively with the direction of our first new shows out of the gate, WALKER and SUPERMAN & LOIS, that we wanted to order the additional episodes to complete their first seasons, and we are particularly pleased with the huge success of the launch of WALKER, which debuted as our most watched series premiere in 5 years.”

The current series being ordered for the 2021-2022 season include a second season of WALKER, which recently scored The CW’s most watched series premiere in 5 years, as well as ALL AMERICAN (Season 4), BATWOMAN (Season 3), CHARMED (Season 4), DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Season 7), DYNASTY (Season 5), THE FLASH (Season 8), IN THE DARK (Season 4), LEGACIES (Season 4), NANCY DREW (Season 3), RIVERDALE (Season 6) and ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO (Season 4). Specific premiere dates for each series will be announced at a later time.

Art is available online at http://www.cwtvpr.com, as well as the latest releases,
biographies and other relevant press information for all The CW’s programs

Media Contacts:

Paul Hewitt, 818/977-6171
[email protected]

Nate Kirtman, 818/977-5993
[email protected]

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Still borderline on this. For some reason I keep giving it one more chance. They seem to want to make more of a "This is Us" style family drama than an action/procedural. They keep shortcutting the investigations, which are very, very predictable and unimaginative to start with, while introducing more and more family drama for every character. Thank goodness for fast-forward on the DVR.

Was there anyone that did NOT predict the outcome of last week's episode? That the sheriff was having an affair with the wife and killed the husband, while trying to frame the other guy?

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still borderline on this. For some reason I keep giving it one more chance. They seem to want to make more of a "This is Us" style family drama than an action/procedural.
Jared Padalecki had this to say about his hopes for the show: "...Whereas the last show was more purely like 'I am hero, hear me roar' kind of situation. I hope I don't sound like I'm disparaging it. I watched it growing up. I wasn't a super fan by any means, but I certainly saw more than I can count. But this show is very much about somebody who's a family man who happens to be a ranger, not a ranger who happens to have a family."

I do appreciate that we're seeing some movement with the characters, like the daughter warming up to her dad and starting to take responsibility for her actions.

They keep shortcutting the investigations, which are very, very predictable and unimaginative to start with, while introducing more and more family drama for every character. Thank goodness for fast-forward on the DVR.
The investigations in the original series were always very predictable, too. In some ways, I think they're aiming for easy-to-digest comfort food with this series.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, if that's the direction they're going, I'll be out after the next episode.

Real-life is already full of family drama. I don't need more in my "entertainment".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks