What's new

On Becoming a God in Central Florida (Showtime) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
There doesn’t seem to be a thread for this show yet. Anyone watching? It take place in early 90’s central Florida and follows Krystal Stubbs (played wonderfully by Kirsten Dunst) as she becomes involved in a pyramid scheme. VERY good stuff. I had a co-worker try to get me involved in something like this back in the day. Luckily I avoided it like the plague.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm watching the show and live in Central Florida and my first gig in this area was head writer for a satellite TV network built around an MLM company started by a very Obie-like high profile author, talk show regular and figurehead. The thing this show gets right is how mesmerized and enthusiastic the downline folks have to be despite all odds. You must buy in 100%. And when it all falls apart, only a few at the top escape unscathed and with any cash. I never bought in but the owner respected my talent enough to leave me alone and wanted me to ghostwrite his next bestseller which was about higher consciousness. What a flip.

The thing the series gets wrong is being shot in Louisiana instead of Florida. It's not remotely the same vibe-wise or even scenery. This is the land of megachurches on almost every block in or near town. Grown men rarely ever get attacked by alligators; it's small kids and pets. That water park might exist in Kissimmee but not with the big boys (Disney, Universal) in Orlando.

But I love how Kirsten Dunst is killing the role as that character. Survival; no matter how humiliating. She's knocking it out of the water park.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Really great episode last night! Obie Garbeau is a weird mother fucker!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks