What's new

China Syndrome DVD: Sunburst/Abstract Torch logo (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Something I'm just now wondering about the DVD of The China Syndrome (since I'm considering seeing that 1979 Columbia Pictures film that had Jack Lemmon, Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas): for those who have it, does the film as presented on that release (or maybe even the Blu, which I might get instead) have Columbia's Sunburst/Abstract Torch logo of the time (w/accompanying music by Suzanne Ciani)? I'm desiring to have as complete an experience as I can with it, considering I'm seeing a 40-year-old film.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I have the Indicator collector's edition on Blu-Ray and can confirm that it has the abstract logo. I can also vouch for the video quality and the sound (both Dolby 5.1 and mono are available).

It also comes with a ton of bonus features and a 40 page booklet with critical essays on the film. If complete is what you're after, this edition won't disappoint.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the Indicator collector's edition on Blu-Ray and can confirm that it has the abstract logo. I can also vouch for the video quality and the sound (both Dolby 5.1 and mono are available).

Thanks very much-- I'm glad that at least that version has it. I've never seen this film before, and I'm very much the aficionado of old studio logos, so that's another reason why I asked.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Columbia is much better about keeping movie logos than TV ones, where they had to be goaded into keeping all the old logos by fans. YouTube reveals just how long it's been going on: at least since they changed the name of the TV division.

Suzanne Ciani also created the "pop" sound effect for the "Coke Adds Life" commercials around the same time Columbia changed their logo. In 1981, she wrote the score to a Universal film: The Incredible Shrinking Woman with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda's* co-star in Nine To Five they made for Fox the previous year.**

*Jon Voight's Christmas card list is getting shorter and shorter this year.
**And whose mixed-media parody of Disney now seems prescient.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just got somewhat of a taster of what the top of this film will be like, should I get the DVD (Sunburst/AT not included, however):

And even more of one: discovered that the VHS from 1993 had a silent Sunburst/AT (is this the one that the DVD/Blu has?):

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure this movie opens with no music, as the first thing we hear are the TV directors. Tommy is actually the only movie where I've heard music over the intro.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Pretty sure this movie opens with no music, as the first thing we hear are the TV directors. Tommy is actually the only movie where I've heard music over the intro.

You are talking about Columbia's Sunburst/Abstract Torch, are you not?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks