What's new

CRITERION FLASH SALE Starting October 15, 2019 Noon ET -- 24 Hr Sale (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
CRITERION FLASH SALE Starting October 15, 2019 Noon ET
24 HRS. ending approx Noon ET Wednesday October 16, 2019

Blu-ray.com users reporting this sale. I think they were notified by an email which I haven't received and I can't find anything on their Facebook or Twitter accts to confirm, but it is the expected day

Normally this is approx 24 hrs though it often ends up lasting a bit longer and doesn't always get off the mark exactly on time. Extensions have been anywhere from zero to to several hours depending on demand and if the server crashes enough times (Soccer Penalty Time). The extensions have been much shorter or nonexistent the last couple sales as their website has functioned better in general

50% off MSRP (not current/Usual price) all in-stock movies -- DVD, BD, Includes Eclipse set, but not general merchandise. Backorders and pre-orders usually haven't been allowed. Items will go OOS so don't wait too long though the last few sales, most
things cam back into stock at least once if not several times during the sale.
The website usually gets hammered in the first couple hrs so be patient.
The last sale or two didn't require a special PROMO CODE and the items in the cart automatically came up 50% off, but if they go back to a code I'll add it tomorrow.

Free Shipping at $50 in the Lower 48 US otherwise $6.95 flat rate shipping USPS or $8.95 UPS
Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, PO Box, APO/FPO -- $6.95 Priority Mail

International orders other than Canada
Less than 4lbs -- WorldMail/CanadaPost 9.95 1st + 2.95ea added
Over 4lbs -- DHL Express 19.95 1st + 3.95 each additional item
Customs and Brokerage fees added by Delivery Service/Collected at Delivery and are the responsibility of the customer

Sales Tax has been expanded and now required -- Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Washington and Washington D.C
New releases included.

Criterion Loyalty program -- $50Gift Cert for every cumulative purchase of $500 even if it takes 5 years. In the past those loyal rewards certs are sent via email almost immediately and are eligible for immediate use.
If you are close to $500 and have enough total items, I'd suggest making an order just big enough to qualify for the Loyalty Cert plus FS, then make another $50+ order with the extra money rather than make one large order and then have to wait 6 months for the next flash sale though the GC/Rewards don;t expire. You can load them into your account and the $$$ will be there next sale.

For Canadians there is a somewhat parallel sale at Unobstructed View who apparently are handling lots of Criterions now.
https://www.unobstructedview.com/criterion-flash-sale/

This is a first so unknown how the selection and pricing will compare, but with different shipping and customs rules it could be something to compare.

Last edited:

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Does anyone know if those of us who have been given the $10 credit for subscribing to the streaming service will be able to apply it to this sale?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if those of us who have been given the $10 credit for subscribing to the streaming service will be able to apply it to this sale?

I agree -- the credit should work exactly like a Gift Certificate. At least with the 4-5 different $5 or $10 offers I've gotten from Criterion in the past for various things have worked like that and I'm 100% sure I used them on Flash Sale discs

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sale is live. Placed my order for The Philadelphia Story, My Man Godfrey, and The Awful Truth.

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sale is live -- no promo code necessary. At least the site didn't crash at the opening like it often has in the past/

I suspect it will get slower as folks start browsing. I had my cart preloaded with the titles I wanted from the wishlist, refreshed the cart screen, the prices immediately changed, checked out -- easy and peasy for once

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I suspect it will get slower as folks start browsing. I had my cart preloaded with the titles I wanted from the wishlist, refreshed the cart screen, the prices immediately changed, checked out -- easy and peasy for once
The same here, I was in and out in about 5 minutes. I also was able to use their gift certificates.

Cluny Brown
The Circus
Local Hero

Reactions: PMF

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Decided I wanted to add His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night, and Only Angels Have Wings. Looks like that's going to have to wait.

Edit: Since this seems to be a tradition, any rough guess at how long until it's working again? I'll stick around if it's often just a few minutes, but if we're looking at well into the afternoon, I may as well go get some stuff done.

Worst case that happens is I just stick with my original plan and get these other three at the next sale.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, another Criterion flash sale, another unresponsive criterion.com:

upload_2019-10-15_10-25-0.png

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Decided I wanted to add His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night, and Only Angels Have Wings. Looks like that's going to have to wait.

Edit: Since this seems to be a tradition, any rough guess at how long until it's working again? I'll stick around if it's often just a few minutes, but if we're looking at well into the afternoon, I may as well go get some stuff done.

Worst case that happens is I just stick with my original plan and get these other three at the next sale.

Hard to predict -- my general plan is to just in Minute 1 or just wait until 8pm or so. Unless I'm after items that are in short inventory or very high demand releases there never has been much problem. Even for items that go OOS, there's a very good chance they'll come back into stock within the next 22 hrs.

An hour down actually seems a bit long from memory, but very slow and another crash through afternoon wouldn't be out of expectation either.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1:30 -- seems a bit long even for them.

I did check my order, re-do my wishlist for the B&N sale. The site seems to be movie pretty well from page to page.

I did notice and odd effect -- the items I ordered appear to have automatically been added to MY COLLECTION. I don't remember that happening before, but maybe it did and I just thought I had done it and forgotten

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kind of sad. You'd think they'd have figured out how to fix this after it happens multiple times.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Criterion can never overcome these server problems. Time and time again they continue to be plagued by them when a sale occurs.

I bought THE CIRCUS with my $10 coupon from The Criterion Channel.

I also had KLUTE in my cart, but at the last minute, ditched it. Hopefully, it will be showing on the channel soon if it isn't already.

Users who are viewing this thread