What's new

Missing United Artists Classics (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As so much of the UA classic catalog has been released on Blu by Kino and Criterion and others, it might seem frivolent to wish for more, but....

ALAMO, THE (duh)
NEVER ON SUNDAY
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (now with Warner Bros)
D.O.A. (1950) (Who owns this now?)
GREAT ESCAPE, THE (A 4K restoration, Criterion?)
NIGHT IN CASABLANCA, A (Where is this one now?)
OF MICE AND MEN (1939) (ditto)
SMALL CHANGE (Truffaut)
SMILE
WILD CHILD, THE (Truffaut)

others, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Criterion put out Bowling For Columbine last year. I wrote the HTF Review for it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As so much of the UA classic catalog has been released on Blu by Kino and Criterion and others, it might seem frivolent to wish for more, but....

ALAMO, THE (duh)
NEVER ON SUNDAY
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
GOD'S LITTLE ACRE
GREAT ESCAPE, THE (Criterion?)
SMALL CHANGE (Truffaut)
SMILE

others, I'm sure.

Olive released God's Little Acre on blu ray and Criterion released Bowling For Columbine on blu ray so there are two you can cross off your list. I have the blu ray of The Great Escape isn't that still in print?

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I believe D.O.A(1949) is in the public domain. Hopefully the Film Noir Foundation does a restoration and Flicker Alley can release it as they've done great work with their noirs over the last few years. The Alamo and Never on Sunday are the big two I want. Though is Never on Sunday actually still with MGM since its been OOP for a long time?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

ALAMO, THE (duh)
NEVER ON SUNDAY
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
GOD'S LITTLE ACRE
GREAT ESCAPE, THE (Criterion?)
SMALL CHANGE (Truffaut)
SMILE

others, I'm sure.
Dick,

Olive released "God's Little Acre" back in 2013. I believe D.O.A. is in PD Hell. I have no evidence of it, but, I suspect "The Great Escape" is coming out in 2020 with a new transfer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Criterion has the 1939 Of Mice and Men via Westchester Films, probably will get a 2020 release.

It wouldn't surprise me if Warner Archive eventually releases all the MGM Marx Brothers films plus A Night in Casablanca, though A Night at the Opera seems like a potential Criterion since they seem keen on former laserdiscs returning.

The 1956 Around the World in 80 Days is at the top of my wish list for upgrading from DVD. Given it's a large format film with lots of problems with the elements, I haven't held my breath over it. Though, Warner has worked some true miracles with difficult films, so maybe there's a viable way to restore it now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had another look at The Great Escape a few months back, & it doesn't look great (in fact it looks downright ropey). The Kino insider over at Blu-ray.com did say that a new 4K transfer had be done, & hinted that that Criterion had it, but that was a couple of years ago, & only a hint.

Not by any means a classic, but I'd love Richard Lester's 1963 comedy, The Mouse on the Moon. Happy memories of seeing that at the cinema.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Olive released God's Little Acre on blu ray and Criterion released Bowling For Columbine on blu ray so there are two you can cross off your list. I have the blu ray of The Great Escape isn't that still in print?

Thanks, Tom, I have deleted the titles you mentioned and modified THE GREAT ESCAPE to specifically request a 4K upgrade, as the current Blu is seriously wanting.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, thanks. I've deleted the title in my list.

Good release and worth checking out if you like the film. It’s missing some of the supplements from the old MGM DVD, but what’s new more than makes up for what’s missing.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Criterion has the 1939 Of Mice and Men via Westchester Films, probably will get a 2020 release.

It wouldn't surprise me if Warner Archive eventually releases all the MGM Marx Brothers films plus A Night in Casablanca, though A Night at the Opera seems like a potential Criterion since they seem keen on former laserdiscs returning.

The 1956 Around the World in 80 Days is at the top of my wish list for upgrading from DVD. Given it's a large format film with lots of problems with the elements, I haven't held my breath over it. Though, Warner has worked some true miracles with difficult films, so maybe there's a viable way to restore it now.

If only Criterion would release MICE AND MEN...

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Here are 25 UA films that I don't believe are on Blu; a few aren't even on DVD so far. I don't claim that all or any of them are "classics" but I'd gladly purchase all of them if they ever get a Blu release.

A Rage to Live (1965)
Bailout at 43,000 (1957)
Crossplot (1969)
Danger Route (1967)
Diary of a Madman (1963)
Don't Worry, We'll Think of a Title (1966)
Emergency Hospital (1956)
The Explosive Generation (1961)
Fitzwilly (1967)
Halls of Anger (1970)
The Honkers (1972)
The Last Time I Saw Archie (1961)
Mixed Company (1974)
One More Time (1970)
Red Planet Mars (1952)
Salt and Pepper (1968)
The Second Woman (1950)
Sharks' Treasure (1975)