What's new

Atmos setup/speaker choice (1 Viewer)

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I've upgraded from 5.1 to a Denon 3600 receiver for Atmos. Going to use preouts with my Rotel 5x100 + the receiver for the extra channels. I currently have 5 NHT Super Ones. My room has vaulted ceilings. I'm going to add two more Super Ones for the surrounds.

Two part question: What is the frequency cutoff for the Atmos height speakers. I can' seem to find that info.

Second part is what to use for the height and their position.

Options:

1: Two more Super Ones wall mounted and angled/down firing

2: Two Super Zeros wall mounted and angle/down firing.

3: Two of the NHT AFX Minis wall mounted with the angled baffles firing downward.

I asked NHT about the AFX Minis only rated down to 120hz, and they just replied to not give that much concern because the drive is full range, but they rate them from 120 because that's the range they typically require.

Not really excited about those though. They only use one 3" driver for $100. Seems better to use Zeros for the same price as they reach 85 Hz.

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) Whatever you set it to be in the speaker setup.
2) None of the above. Atmos speakers are supposed to go overhead, in or on the ceiling. Not just elevated on the front wall.

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I understand that ceiling mounted is the best option, but in or on ceiling is a very difficult option. 25' peak with wood tongue and groove ceiling, so running in wall/ceiling cable would be a nightmare, and exposed speaker cables or in a raceway would not be very aesthetically pleasing.

Some new Atmos speakers have the angled baffles to be mounted in the front to reflect, but obviously that won't work for me. Others are actually designed to be side wall mounted/angled toward the listening area. My thought was to mount the heights on the side wall like that.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Compromises often have to be made. I just try to explain how it’s supposed to be set up, since so many people have a seriously wrong concept of how Atmos is supposed to be configured.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Is there an actual spec for the frequency response of the Atmos height/overhead speakers? Down to 180, 120, 100, 80, etc.?

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
I copied this from the Dolby site:

Overhead speaker characteristics Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above the listeners.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
And this from the Dolby site:

If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks