What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As "buddy pictures" go, Red Heat is a decent film.

When did "buddy pictures" begin, exactly?

It's never great. Always, well, generally okay.

I question why it's hit 4k, as the imagery is never needle sharp, or in any way necessitating the process.

Possibly with the exception of the titles, which are fun in their typography, and sharp. And pretty.

Other than that, it replicates the film look, which was never 4k

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you're a 4k completist

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I actually thought "Red Heat" looked TOO sharp at times and suspected some tampering occurred to bolster sharpness.

Sometimes the movie has the expected "80s look" and then sometimes it's all glossy and sharp in a way that doesn't really mesh...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I actually thought "Red Heat" looked TOO sharp at times and suspected some tampering occurred to bolster sharpness.

Sometimes the movie has the expected "80s look" and then sometimes it's all glossy and sharp in a way that doesn't really mesh...

Also, had an odd red push, at times in facial tones.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the 4K/Dolby Vision look of the digital was pretty damn good. I agree there was some red push in facial tones, but, overall it's a huge improvement over prior home video releases.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the 4K/Dolby Vision look of the digital was pretty damn good. I agree there was some red push in facial tones, but, overall it's a huge improvement over prior home video releases.

I was actually disappointed the 4K doesn't include the old Blu-ray.

I never saw that one and I wanted to watch it so I could compare it to the new transfer, but since the included BD uses the new transfer, that wasn't possible... :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks