JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: Parasite

Tagline: Act like you own the place.

Genre: Comedy, Thriller, Drama

Director: Bong Joon-ho

Cast: Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun, Chang Hyae-jin, Park Myung-hoon, Jung Ji-so, Jung Hyeon-jun, Park Keun-rok, Jung Yi-seo, Cho Jae-myung, Jeong Ik-han, Kim Gyu-baek, Ahn Seong-bong, Yoon Young-woo, Park Jae-wook, Lee Dong-yong, Jeon Eun-mi, Kim Geon, Lee Joo-hyung, Lee Ji-hye, Kim Bo-ryeong, Park Hye-sook, Baek Seung-hwan, Riccardo Ferraresso, Ko Kwan-jae, Lee Si-hoon, Seo Bok-hyeon, Shim Soo-mi, Yoon Hye-ri, Andreas Fronk, Anna Elisabeth Rihlmann, Rosie Peralta, Shin Seung-min, Park Seo-jun, Kwak Sin-ae

Release: 2019-05-30

Runtime: 133

Plot: All unemployed, Ki-taek's family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks for their livelihood until they get entangled in an unexpected incident.

There are many wealthy people who have taken short cuts -- legal or not -- to get their place in society. The Kim family in Seoul is of the underclass, but, they see no issue adopting the 'ethics' of some of the very wealthy to claim a piece for themselves. The Kims are living in a below street level hovel barely scraping by, but they aren't without certain wits and skills.

An opportunity falls in their lap when their son Ki-Woo (Woo-sik Choi) finds himself tutoring a sweet teen daughter (Jung Ziso) or a successful tech entrepreneur Park Dong-Ik (Sun-kyun Lee) and his lovely if simple wife Yeon-Kyo (Yeo-jeong Jo). Before long the Kims all but move into the Parks' spacious architectural marvel of a home (each couple has a male and a female child).

Director Bong Joon-Ho who also co-wrote the screenplay (with Jin Won Han) takes his time to set up the story. As seen in his previous work such as OKJA, SNOWPIERCER, THE HOST and MOTHER, Bong isn't the most formal filmmaker working today. His movies often seem wildly inconsistent in style and tone. Seeming leaps in logic and form abound. But, what makes his work so consistently invigorating and exciting is that if one looks past the seeming chaotic structure, Bong plays fair with the viewer. The extended set-ups are a means to an end. There is a 'Bong Playbook' that he is setting up and he abides by those rules.

PARASITE is an exemplary case of the Bong Playbook. Once the dominoes fall the scabrous satire can cut deeply. Class warfare isn't an original concept in and of itself, but Bong continually upends expectations and circumstances here. Making it all the more interesting is that he doesn't set up the rich Park family as cartoon villains. Heck, they are so banal that one feels more sympathy for them. You shouldn't want them to get their lives disrupted -- but, you also can't help but cheer on the disruptors (the Kims).

Bong takes PARASITE to some dark places and quite visceral places. There's some razor sharp allusions to the works of the great Luis Bunuel (DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID, VIRIDIANA), Chabrol's (CEREMONIE) as well as, most pointedly, Gorky's The Lower Depths, but, it still remains firmly the work of Bong Joon-Ho. Without a doubt, there are some allusions to provincial matters in South Korean society that will escape domestic viewers, but, Bong's scalpel cuts broadly and deeply enough for most international audiences (it won the Palme D'or at Cannes and is South Korea's official International Film entry). It's a wild tasty ride.

Take it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for posting this, Joe. I've heard elsewhere, too, that this is great and am excited to see it. It's good to know you liked it so much. But it's not opening locally until November 15, so I've still got a while until I can check it out.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Based on the reviews, I knew this was pretty much going to be a home-run and it was. I'm not going to comment really as I think it works best if you know nothing about it going in. I'll simply say that it lives up to the hype and it's one of those films that I believe will be stuck in my mind for a few days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've seen ads on Facebook proclaiming that Parasite is going wide this weekend, but we don't have a local booking until next weekend. So I'm not sure how wide it will be. I'm anxious to see it when it arrives.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow. That went places I didn't expect. (no spoilers)

There is more story here than in five domestic releases. I can only hope they don't decide to do an 'American' version of this and ruin what's already pretty spectacular (does anyone remember what they did to The Vanishing?)

It's appropriate this fits into the Best Picture nominations; and seriously, when you consider everything; story-wise, script, directing, acting, thematically and... metaphorical in this, there's no reason it couldn't actually win. It's that good.

I've seen all the Best Picture nominees now, and this easily goes into the top three for me.

Bold. Bravo.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can only hope they don't decide to do an 'American' version of this and ruin what's already pretty spectacular.

It's already happening. As announced last week, Bong Joon-ho will produce and work with Adam McKay to turn Parasite into an HBO limited series. It's not known yet if it will be an expanded-length remake or sequel or what. I really hope it isn't a sequel because I think the ending of the film is perfect, and going beyond that would ruin the magic trick, if that makes sense.

Seeing my post above yous from November, I realize I forgot to post in here after seeing it, but I did see it when it opened here and loved it. It absolutely deserves its Best Picture nomination and I would be happy if it won.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The fact HBO is developing this into a series shows just how much story was jammed into this film (and effectively). But, man, leave well enough alone. Well, at least Bong Joon-Ho will cash in.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wow.

What an amazingly powerful original film. My wife and I loved every moment of it.

Beautiful, funny, shocking, sad, tragic. Hopeful. Definitely one of the years best films.

Jumps to #3 for me after 1917 and Knives Out.

Just........WOW.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm not optimistic about this series idea. Why would I want to invest more time in these characters' lives when I already know what's going to happen to them? I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about that. Which goes to how powerful that film was in the first place.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I loved the first half of this movie, and enjoyed (with some unease) the 2nd half. I understand a trademark of director Bong Joon-ho is his use of tonal shifts, which is on full display here.

A relatively unsung star of the film is the house itself. Cold but clean, with multiple floors of metaphor.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching 'Parasite' (first viewing). Academy members done good. The film absolutely deserved the Best Picture Oscar and Bong Joon Ho deserved his Best Director statue too. The Booth Bijou gives the film 5 out of 5 stars. I've never seen a film like this one, I was riveted to the screen.

I don't know if there are rules that prevent it but, frankly, I'm disappointed that some of the film's cast weren't nominated for Leading or Supporting Actor awards. Yes, the film is that good.

That said, my favorite film of 2019 remains 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'.

Mark

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks