What's new

In the Heat of the night (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am enjoying re watching In the Heat of the Night on Amazon Prime. I have also searched Amazon for the TGG Direct season sets. I am assuming most of them are out of print. Is MGM going to license them for dvd again?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I am enjoying re watching In the Heat of the Night on Amazon Prime. I have also searched Amazon for the TGG Direct season sets. I am assuming most of them are out of print. Is MGM going to license them for dvd again?

I have no idea. But if they were to be released again, I'd hope it would be on Blu. It's a fantastic show that provides me with almost endless rewatchability. Between the great real-life southern setting (filmed in Georgia, not Mississippi - but still the Deep South); the use of locals to add authentic accents and mannerisms; the lack of fake-looking sound stage settings; the solid mystery and crime drama storylines; and the consistent supporting cast, makes In the Heat of the Night one of my favorite shows of all time.

Gary "glad I got the TGG sets when they were available - but even then some episodes were left off those sets due to 'music rights' and I had to make do with a few homemade discs recorded off TV" O.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have no idea. But if they were to be released again, I'd hope it would be on Blu. It's a fantastic show that provides me with almost endless rewatchability. Between the great real-life southern setting (filmed in Georgia, not Mississippi - but still the Deep South); the use of locals to add authentic accents and mannerisms; the lack of fake-looking sound stage settings; the solid mystery and crime drama storylines; and the consistent supporting cast, makes In the Heat of the Night one of my favorite shows of all time.

Gary "glad I got the TGG sets when they were available - but even then some episodes were left off those sets due to 'music rights' and I had to make do with a few homemade discs recorded off TV" O.

I would also hope for a Blu release. I actually am nearing the end of my tv collection on dvd and Blu. It’s hard to Believe I watched 50 tv series’ growing up. In the heat of the night is a southern crown jewel

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

And what a great actor Carroll O'Connor is. He went from being the crotchety bigot Archie Bunker to being a police chief. I often wonder what Gilligan's Island would have been like had he taken the role of The Skipper.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I bought the DVDs, wound up using the Comcast on demand versions of the episodes to fill in the run.

They were uncut, surprisingly enough, just had to bounce 'em onto a DVD-R and then to the trusty old computer.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for creating this thread. I have never seen the ITHOTN TV series, just the film. However, I have always wanted to see the show - but just never had time.

Never liked AITF, despite growing up with the show. However, the COC character in this series seems like a completely different character - so, I may check this out at some point.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for creating this thread. I have never seen the ITHOTN TV series, just the film. However, I have always wanted to see the show - but just never had time.

Never liked AITF, despite growing up with the show. However, the COC character in this series seems like a completely different character - so, I may check this out at some point.

Glad to hear you are interested, Jim. The TV show was a really good one, running for 7 years + four TV movies that compromised an 8th season. It was filmed almost exclusively in a small town in Georgia (after a short first season) and therefore reeked of a genuine police department in a deep south small city. It took the show a couple of years to find it's footing, but by the beginning of the 3rd season it was off and running like a well-oiled machine (and I mean that in every good way possible). There were nice touches of continuity throughout, and especially once it entered the 3rd season.

Carroll O'Connor was stellar in his role as Chief Bill Gillespie. He pulled off the accent Ok and the mannerisms were authentic too. He surrounded himself with a solid supporting cast and they all worked well together to give that authentic feel of a small city police force. The use of locals was a great touch to add to the realism and shooting in this gorgeous southern town added so much to an already solid show. There's rarely an outdoor scene where you don't hear birds chirping, and often there are train whistles and church bells going off in the background. It makes for a fantastic setting.

Gary "ITHOTN is my favorite show from that time period of the late 80's/early 90's" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Glad to hear you are interested, Jim. The TV show was a really good one, running for 7 years + four TV movies that compromised an 8th season. It was filmed almost exclusively in a small town in Georgia (after a short first season) and therefore reeked of a genuine police department in a deep south small city. It took the show a couple of years to find it's footing, but by the beginning of the 3rd season it was off and running like a well-oiled machine (and I mean that in every good way possible). There were nice touches of continuity throughout, and especially once it entered the 3rd season.

Carroll O'Connor was stellar in his role as Chief Bill Gillespie. He pulled off the accent Ok and the mannerisms were authentic too. He surrounded himself with a solid supporting cast and they all worked well together to give that authentic feel of a small city police force. The use of locals was a great touch to add to the realism and shooting in this gorgeous southern town added so much to an already solid show. There's rarely an outdoor scene where you don't hear birds chirping, and often there are train whistles and church bells going off in the background. It makes for a fantastic setting.

Gary "ITHOTN is my favorite show from that time period of the late 80's/early 90's" O.

Yeah, you must really like it because in the decade plus I've been here, I don't think I've seen you talk about a show that aired so late in the century.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yeah, you must really like it because in the decade plus I've been here, I don't think I've seen you talk about a show that aired so late in the century.

You’re correct. This is easily my favorite “recently aired” series. :D

Gary “I don’t normally go for modern shows, but this one was pretty good” O. :lol:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now that Amazon has purchased MGM, would they put this back out in Blu or even SD DVD with all episodes cleared? Or would they put it back on prime with no ads ? Make it available for digital purchase? I know it’s currently on freevee and the Roku channel. As popular as Caroll O’Connor still is I’d hope so

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks