What's new

Count Three And Pray (1955) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I got my Sony blu ray of the 1955 CinemaScope western Count Three And Pray with Van Heflin and Joanne Woodward (in her film debut) yesterday. Bizarrely, the disc does not allow you to pause or fast forward or back. I've never seen this before on a Sony blu ray (or DVD for that matter). It seems Sony wants you to watch the film all the way through with no bathroom or snack breaks! :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got my Sony blu ray of the 1955 CinemaScope western Count Three And Pray with Van Heflin and Joanne Woodward (in her film debut) yesterday. Bizarrely, the disc does not allow you to pause or fast forward or back. I've never seen this before on a Sony blu ray (or DVD for that matter). It seems Sony wants you to watch the film all the way through with no bathroom or snack breaks! :(
Yeah, I noticed that when I watched the Blu-ray a couple of weeks ago.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Seriously? What happens in an emergency? I take it the “stop” button works. But when you start it back up will it remember where you were or do you have to start all over from the beginning? :eek:
With this kind of crap physical media is begging to die.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seriously? What happens in an emergency? I take it the “stop” button works. But when you start it back up will it remember where you were or do you have to start all over from the beginning? :eek:
Yeah, it's BS and I noticed it when I wanted to replay a certain scene. Luckily for me, it was early in the film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh dear. I'm at the age when in cold weather I can't go for long without my bladder sending me messages. I'll probably buy this disc anyway but only play it during hot weather!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I didn’t know anything about this release and even with its faults I ordered it. Which leads me to ask the question how do we find out about these Sony MOD titles? I have several but wonder if I have missed a few.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it does start at the beginning all over again :( Fortunately, there are chapter stops so you can jump to the chapter closest to where you left off.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yikes. How is the picture quality? And how good of a Western is it?

As Robert Crawford said, it looks good. As to how good it is, it's not a traditional western. Van Heflin is a Southerner disliked by the townspeople for fighting on the Union side. He's also a preacher. I enjoyed it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t know anything about this release and even with its faults I ordered it. Which leads me to ask the question how do we find out about these Sony MOD titles? I have several but wonder if I have missed a few.

I don't think it is a MOD title. It doesn't have that bluish/purplish cast that MOD discs have. It looks like a regular pressed disc to me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I know that Blu-ray MOD does not always mean it’s burned and so far all have been pressed, as I have several. My question is still how do we learn about these releases from Sony. I would like to know the past releases to see if there is one that I missed and if any new titles have been announced.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I know that Blu-ray MOD does not always mean it’s burned and so far all have been pressed, as I have several. My question is still how do we learn about these releases from Sony. I would like to know the past releases to see if there is one that I missed and if any new titles have been announced.
Hey, Allen. I'm not aware there's any place one can get a complete list of these Sony releases over the past two years, but off the top of my head, this is what I remember: THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (which I have and is beautiful to look at); THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, ROBIN AND MARIAN, THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS & GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. There may be more, but I'm sure other members of the Forum can help expand my list of 5 releases (in addition to COUNT THREE AND PRAY).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hey, Allen. I'm not aware there's any place one can get a complete list of these Sony releases over the past two years, but off the top of my head, this is what I remember: THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (which I have and is beautiful to look at); THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, ROBIN AND MARIAN, THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS & GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. There may be more, but I'm sure other members of the Forum can help expand my list of 5 releases (in addition to COUNT THREE AND PRAY).
There's also Pendulum with George Peppard and Gideon Of Scotland Yard (aka Gideon's Day) with Jack Hawkins

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't help you there as I haven't found any source that tracks such releases.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There's also Pendulum with George Peppard and Gideon Of Scotland Yard (aka Gideon's Day) with Jack Hawkins
Yes, GIDEON'S DAY was photographed by Freddie Young. Does anyone have it, and if so, can comment on the visual quality of the disc?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yes, GIDEON'S DAY was photographed by Freddie Young. Does anyone have it, and if so, can comment on the visual quality of the disc?
I do have it and watched it recently. It looks very, very good. Buy without worry. Since this film was released in the US in B&W by Columbia, it took me quite a while to catch a 35mm color print. This may be minor Ford, but it's still quite a pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks