What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films in 4K?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Psycho will most likely be the first 4K Hitchcock release, especially since next year is the film's 60th anniversary.

thanks for the post!

great point. Maybe we will get a few films next year then??

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Since Universal just released a new blu-ray boxset that contained all older, previously released masters, I doubt we’ll be seeing any 4K from them anytime in the near future, except possibly a one-off release like Psycho or Vertigo.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Since Universal just released a new blu-ray boxset that contained all older, previously released masters, I doubt we’ll be seeing any 4K from them anytime in the near future, except possibly a one-off release like Psycho or Vertigo.

hopefully next year some of the films will come to UHd Blu Ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Warners might give us North by Northwest since its Blu-ray master is so spectacular and seems to be in good shape. Would it being in VistaVision make getting a 4K scan more problematic?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This is a classic i have very much been interested in getting Vertigo but for some insane reason have never done so. I would love it if this movie was released on 4K blu-ray next year! Another title I would love in 4K is Psycho.

Last edited:

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Well, I was hoping for at least N×NW on its 60th this year. That one also at least has a good master. Maybe next year with Psycho. Universal really needs to overhaul their Hitchcock masters though. Most are horrendous.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well, I was hoping for at least N×NW on its 60th this year. That one also at least has a good master. Maybe next year with Psycho. Universal really needs to overhaul their Hitchcock masters though. Most are horrendous.

agreed. I’d love to pick them up in 4k

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Depending on the condition of the film elements, some scanned in 4K would do the trick, following with digital restoration techniques. There's very little that can't be addressed in digital restoration these days. Although in some cases, a full blown photo-chemical restoration would be warranted. Which is probably the case with The Man Who Knew Too Much. I can't even watch it as is now. Its maddening. Unfortunately, such restorations don't seem likely anytime soon, as far as I know. I'd really love a decent version of Family Plot though.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Warners might give us North by Northwest since its Blu-ray master is so spectacular and seems to be in good shape. Would it being in VistaVision make getting a 4K scan more problematic?

It was already scanned in 4k and in fact is also available as a 4k DCP, same as Vertigo and To Catch a Thief.
If done right I will buy all three, hopefully soon.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Don't overlook those two very high quality Blu-ray discs of The Wrong Man and I Confess. (To my great shame, I don't remember how good is the Strangers On a Train Blu-ray disc. Obviously, it's time for a re-visit)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Depending on the condition of the film elements, some scanned in 4K would do the trick, following with digital restoration techniques. There's very little that can't be addressed in digital restoration these days. Although in some cases, a full blown photo-chemical restoration would be warranted. Which is probably the case with The Man Who Knew Too Much. I can't even watch it as is now. Its maddening. Unfortunately, such restorations don't seem likely anytime soon, as far as I know. I'd really love a decent version of Family Plot though.

I agree there is alot that can be done with digital restoration and My Fair Lady is a great example of what can be done. I am under the impression that they did some heavy restoration work to MFL when they did 8K scans! The blu-ray of that movie looks very good!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The key UHD titles I would consider if available would be The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, North by Northwest and of course To Catch a Thief. All of them toothsome delights. These are the titles I view most often.

agreed. I don’t think I would debut all of them. Just my favorites. Or what the bother to issue in UHd Blu Ray!!! : )

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The key UHD titles I would consider if available would be The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, North by Northwest and of course To Catch a Thief. All of them toothsome delights. These are the titles I view most often.

Why those two for 4K? The other titles I can agree with, but the those two earlier pre-Hollywood films aren't widely known so be odd to choose them for possible 4K releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks