What's new

On Last Two DVD Recorders, What's Next for Home Recording? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
E.G.
I grew up recording broadcast/cable TV with VCRs and eventually switched to DVD recorders. I currently have one I bought new (and have had a while, so I don't know how much life it has left in it) and one I bought used. When those two die, what's next? I prefer physical media, but the only option I can see is to somehow connect my DVR to my computer via a capture card/device, record it as a digital file and then burn it to a DVD using my computer, but the thought of having to do all of that seems more daunting than going back to VHS. I really hate they stopped making DVD recorders because I've gotten so used to mine. There are a lot of things I've recorded over the years that would and have never be released on DVD or even streaming, so buying isn't an option either. What have you all done outside of just embracing the digital inevitable?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I miss my DVD recorder very much. I wish they were still being made inexpensively. I jumped on Ebay some months ago to find VERY expensive models to be had by importing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walmart still has them:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=dvd recorder&cat_id=3944&typeahead=dvd re

I am using 2 Magnavox. I don’t record as much as I did a few years ago, when I first got TCM, but I do record 3 or 4 TV shows that I am afraid won’t come out on disc. I was always waiting for the same recorder for Blu ray.
Without being able to connect my DirecTV receiver to a DVD Recorder because the Genie only has HDMI Output, it stopped me from recording stuff.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have a DVD recorder that I almost never use now, except for recording old laserdiscs or VHS tapes to DVD. For recording off DirecTV, I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 49001 LF REV F2 Video Capture Device. This records in 1080i directly to my PC. The device connects to one of my DirecTV Genies via component cables and a DIN connector. It then connects to my PC via USB.

The Hauppauge came with software to use to do the video capture, but it does not have good software for authoring discs. For one, it will only let you author to DVD. Because the outputted file is high-def, the files are often too big to author as AVCHD to even a double layer DVD (a recorded file is usually 10 gigs and up). I use a separate authoring program in order to burn to Blu-ray BD25 discs. I mainly record stuff off TCM, FXM, HDNet Movies and MGM HD. I record movies I like enough to think I'll want to watch it again, but not enough to buy the Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a DVD recorder that I almost never use now, except for recording old laserdiscs or VHS tapes to DVD. For recording off DirecTV, I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 49001 LF REV F2 Video Capture Device. This records in 1080i directly to my PC. The device connects to one of my DirecTV Genies via component cables and a DIN connector. It then connects to my PC via USB.

The Hauppauge came with software to use to do the video capture, but it does not have good software for authoring discs. For one, it will only let you author to DVD. Because the outputted file is high-def, the files are often too big to author as AVCHD to even a double layer DVD (a recorded file is usually 10 gigs and up). I use a separate authoring program in order to burn to Blu-ray BD25 discs. I mainly record stuff off TCM, FXM, HDNet Movies and MGM HD. I record movies I like enough to think I'll want to watch it again, but not enough to buy the Blu-ray.
A little too much work for me as streaming has become a lot more viable and easier to use for me now.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Without being able to connect my DirecTV receiver to a DVD Recorder because the Genie only has HDMI Output, it stopped me from recording stuff.
I have Directv and have the old receiver with the S-video connection & RCA audio plugs that goes to my Panasonic dvd recorder and do record a good amount of content especially from PBS, Smithsonian & Science Channel and TCM for their documentaries. Since I have a 4K tv I can only record up to 3 hours on a disc to get a ok picture for playback. Would have gotten a Genie too but like Robert said only a HDMI but I guess there are adapters and splitters I can use.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you want to record TV and save the digital files, there are two main options:
  1. Buy a TiVo and use KMTTG to transfer files to your computer. This is easy, but costs money. This works with OTA and Cable (but not copy-protected channels like FX or HBO)
  2. Build / buy an HTPC DVR and directly record the files to your computer. This is a more technically involved solution. I think this is OTA only, but I'm not current as i stopped following the scene a few years ago.

In both cases, you have "physical media", only using a much higher capacity digital storage of a hard disk instead of the much smaller DVD or blu-ray.

I use the first approach. I have TiVo and have saved a couple of series to my computer, and save occasional episodes of America's Test Kitchen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks