JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
An off-topic discussion got started with @John Dirk and @Mike Frezon in another thread about active cooling accessories for audio gear, especially receivers and amplifiers. Specifically AC Infinity units, but I'm curious what others do to keep their gear from aging prematurely due to excessive heat.

I recently got my first AC Infinity unit, a T8, for the receiver in my living room system. I'll come back with my observations later.

Others?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for starting this thread, John!

I am very excited about the bits of the conversation in that other thread in which you and @John Dirk were talking about those AC Infinity units.

In all my years (18+) on the forum, this is the first I've ever heard about such a device. But, then, I always remark that I've GOT to spend more time in the hardware sub-forums of the HTF!

I had tried once to make-do with a small personal,desk fan (about 3-4" in diameter) to keep my receiver cool but it was too noisy and seemingly ineffective. To find such a perfectly-designed device to accomplish such a highly-specific task is exciting to me.

I have a new Denon X3600h that I want to last for a long time. I am pretty sure that I will purchasing one of these devices in very short order. I am currently deciding between an S10 or T10 unit (as I need a front exhaust for my particular cabinet).

Here is the LINK to the AC Infinity AIRCOM units.

They are also for sale at the same pricepoint on Amazon.com.

I look forward to hearing the experience of others with these units. They just seem to make SO MUCH SENSE.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was able to do rear exhaust, which I figure has to be quieter. I also decided the $40 savings wasn't worth the loss of flexibility for the S8, so I went with the T8. The T series also has six speed levels vs. 4. I only just got it yesterday, but it really gets the job done running only at the slowest speed. I doubt it will ever go beyond the second slowest speed.

I'll come back with more...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Plus, the T series gives you the cool LED display! :laugh:

I cannot deny that that is a factor in my decision. But I DID read two customer reviews on the AC Infinity site that said they wished the front display could be dimmed somewhat. Thoughts on that, John?

I would think the LED display would be actually useful in being able to see that the unit is actually accomplishing the intended effect by showing the lowering of the receiver/amp temperature.

And user comments also indicate that the front exhaust units are absolutely quiet.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I cannot deny that that is a factor in my decision. But I DID read two customer reviews on the AC Infinity site that said they wished the front display could be dimmed somewhat. Thoughts on that, John?
It can be dimmed or turned off. It's just not explained in the little manual. It's actually kind of funny. It says it can be dimmed, but doesn't explain how to do it. Simple, you set it to the "Off" mode, then adjust the display with the up and down buttons. Then just return to your normal mode, which for me is "Smart". I ended up on the middle brightness.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never thought it was much of a problem unless you have the AVR boxed into a slot in an entertainment center cabinet. At the moment, mine sits on top of an open TV stand.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never thought it was much of a problem unless you have the AVR boxed into a slot in an entertainment center cabinet. At the moment, mine sits on top of an open TV stand.
Crank up an action movie sometime, as loud as you'd normally every play it. Then, before the movie is over, especially after a long, loud section, put your hand on top of the receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My old Yamaha RX-Z9 is known to be a hot-running amplifier, even sitting in the open (as mine doew). I got a T10 for Christmas last year, primarily for the extra functionality and I like displays ( :) ). It does a great job of keeping the temperature down. I set it for 96 degrees with a medium fan speed, I don’t think the display has ever shown it getting above that point, even with action movies. And I never hear it unless I’m standing directly in front of it. All in all, an awesome product at a great price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
An off-topic discussion got started with @John Dirk and @Mike Frezon in another thread about active cooling accessories for audio gear, especially receivers and amplifiers. Specifically AC Infinity units, but I'm curious what others do to keep their gear from aging prematurely due to excessive heat.

Thanks @JohnRice . This makes a lot more sense than veering another thread off topic.

In all my years (18+) on the forum, this is the first I've ever heard about such a device. But, then, I always remark that I've GOT to spend more time in the hardware sub-forums of the HTF!

What? You mean I've actually been on the forum longer than the esteemed @Mike Frezon :) Getting married way back then took up pretty much all of my time which is why I was absent in the early days.

I didn't hear about AC Infinity here either. I heard about this product line from Outlaw Audio after complaining that my [then new] 7140 was shutting off on certain channels. Outlaw recommended AC Infinity as a solution at that time but we later learned another problem was responsible. Nonetheless, I remained impressed with this product and decided [for the price] to order one anyway.

It depends on how you use your gear. I play mine LOUD at times so an AC Infinity unit was worth every penny to me for my main amp. I'm now considering another for my Surround and Atmos amp.

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Rather than buy such a unit, I simply installed 12V triggered fans at the top and bottom of my equipment closet. Works for me.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I can sympathize with the dilemma of overheating equipment. Since I use commercial amps and processors that is one problem I don't have. With the exception of the Dolby EX processor, every other component has built-in fans to keep everything at a reasonable temp. The fans blow warm air but nothing gets hot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can sympathize with the dilemma of overheating equipment. Since I use commercial amps and processors that is one problem I don't have. With the exception of the Dolby EX processor, every other component has built-in fans to keep everything at a reasonable temp. The fans blow warm air but nothing gets hot.
I’m guessing that’s all rack mount stuff, so it actually pulls air through the interior of the gear from front to back. Is that correct!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well...we don't want to get THIS thread too far off-topic, but John got me to listen to some hip-hop & rap. Such as: Fragile by Tech N9ne. And some Kendrick Lamar.
Hey! We can talk music too. I have pretty eclectic tastes. Last night I followed up Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony with some Rob Zombie.

Users who are viewing this thread