What's new

Why so few trailers no on Bluray discs? (1 Viewer)

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Im pretty disapointed these days that there are so few trailers on any of the classic bluray titles. They maybe of little interest to few but to me they are very important from a historical aspect. Trailers back then were very different in their style of advertising compared to modern day films, they are extreamly interesting to watch. Many years ago I worked in the film vault of 20th Century Fox NZ and looked after the trailer department, we had thousands! I really wish the distributers of BDs would make sure each film has a trailer, especially in HD, they must be still on the shelves somewhere. I dont care if they are covered in scratches, its not important for them to be restored, I just want them on my BD discs when I purchase them.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Im pretty disapointed these days that there are so few trailers on any of the classic bluray titles. They maybe of little interest to few but to me they are very important from a historical aspect. Trailers back then were very different in their style of advertising compared to modern day films, they are extreamly interesting to watch. Many years ago I worked in the film vault of 20th Century Fox NZ and looked after the trailer department, we had thousands! I really wish the distributers of BDs would make sure each film has a trailer, especially in HD, they must be still on the shelves somewhere. I dont care if they are covered in scratches, its not important for them to be restored, I just want them on my BD discs when I purchase them.

I second your post, original trailers in HD resolution would be nice and indeed I would not mind if they'd look rough as long as they are not only in SD.

It would be a pity to lose them and I often watch them AFTER I have just seen a movie as they usually contain too many spoilers for my taste.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Today's trailers give you the whole movie in 2-3 min, so you don't need to watch the movie. With horror movies, they show you all the jump scares in the trailer so you are not scared and you are expecting them in the movie.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Today's trailers give you the whole movie in 2-3 min, so you don't need to watch the movie. With horror movies, they show you all the jump scares in the trailer so you are not scared and you are expecting them in the movie.

That's indeed very helpful and why avoid trailers before having watched the movie most of the time.

Another favorite of mine is when the trailer implies that the movie is completely different from what you will see, usually by showing you the action highlights of the movie in order to make it look more exciting and like a classic action movie when the movie in question really isn't.
A good example for this was MGM's trailer for Ride The High Country, it is nothing like the movie:

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Today's trailers give you the whole movie in 2-3 min, so you don't need to watch the movie

I would argue the opposite. I feel like many older film trailers told most of the plot.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The original Star Wars trailer did not give away the plot, but made me extremely interested in the movie, which is as it should be. I saw it at a Star Trek convention in early May 1977.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think they're not as commonplace on discs anymore because they're so widely accessible online.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Trailers are more often included with classic titles now than they are with contemporary films, the trailers for which are sometimes found on other releases from a given studio for DVD/Blu-ray promotional purposes. Universal often dumps three or four "non-trailers" on us when you first load up, which are only 30-60 seconds long and of course promote the video release, and so don't even count as trailers. It's a bummer. Trailers are fun, and for anyone who takes their home theater seriously, they are an important part of any showing for a gathering of friends.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
I totally agree with you. If the distributors are serious about bringing classic films to those who buy them, they should also realise those buyers are passionate also for the complete package, that includes the trailers. Trailers from the classics are gems of historical data thats just as important to preserve as the feature is. Using youtube to find the missing trailers from our bought classics is so hit and miss, some of the qaulity is impossible to even watch! Roll on more 1080p classic trailers, please! .....The "new" trailers are no issue, they are easy to find in HD, its the old ones we want.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I like trailers from classic films that were often using alternate takes from the film. Some other film trailers I like because there may be footage of a scene not included in the finished film. In that regard, Twister, Quiz Show, Brokeback Mountain and Titanic come to mind.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
These days, about the only discs that still have trailers are the ones that come from specialty labels, like Shout, Kino, Criterion, etc. The major studios routinely ignore the trailers, which is terrible. Strangely though, when you use the digital code that comes with a new release and put your movie in Movies Anywhere, it has a preview. I'd like to see them get back to include all trailers on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks