What's new

2019 I Love Lucy Christmas Plus Another Colorized Episode (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
Friday, Dec. 20

168bce4265732f61ac9a8ea95966b35f.jpg

Featuring two back-to-back episodes of the classic series, the colorized "The Christmas Episode" and newly colorized "Paris at Last." "The Christmas Episode" (first presented in black and white on Christmas Eve, 1956) finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky's Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos' son, Little Ricky. In "Paris at Last" (originally aired Feb. 27, 1956) the Ricardos and Mertzes arrive in the French capital, where Lucy encounters a sidewalk artist, who sells multiple copies of the same "original" oil painting, and a con man, who offers a better exchange rate for her American dollars than the one offered in the banks. Later, her attempt to have a quiet lunch in an outdoor café finds her not only unwittingly ordering a plate of snails, but paying the check with counterfeit French francs.

No Dick Van Dyke Show colorized episodes this year, apparently.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For the last few years, these broadcasts have coincided with my mother-in-law arriving from Puerto Rico to celebrate the Christmas holiday with us. It’s become a wonderful tradition to watch these color broadcasts when she does. Looking forward to this year’s!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hope to catch these!!

they are usually online cbs after as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Had to look up the date again. This Friday!!! Glad I’m seeing Star Wars in Thursday!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Looking forward to this. But I do wish they would colorize the “Alan Brady Show Presents” Christmas episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show some year. I guess the ratings were never as good for TDVDS specials as for the ILL ones.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looking forward to this. But I do wish they would colorize the “Alan Brady Show Presents” Christmas episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show some year. I guess the ratings were never as good for TDVDS specials as for the ILL ones.
I’m also disappointed that the dick van dyke show is left out this year.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's kind of funny that most sitcoms today offer holiday episodes: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day. Seems like very few of the classic series back in the day did that, or like Lucy, Dick, and Andy, they did a single Christmas one, and that was it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jackie Gleason did a Honeymooners skit most Christmas seasons on his live 50s variety show, but even then, they reused the same two scripts each time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Bewitched did a few, I think 4 over 8 seasons, 2 for each Darren, including a new opening scene in a repeat of the 1st season Christmas episode when it was rebroadcast in Season 2 when Elizabeth Montgomery was pregnant .I agree holidays are celebrated more often in recent years. Some shows even become known for their holiday episodes. Thanksgiving for "Friends" and Halloween for "Roseanne" as examples.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bewitched did a few, I think 4 over 8 seasons, 2 for each Darren, including a new opening scene in a repeat of the 1st season Christmas episode when it was rebroadcast in Season 2 when Elizabeth Montgomery was pregnant .I agree holidays are celebrated more often in recent years. Some shows even become known for their holiday episodes. Thanksgiving for "Friends" and Halloween for "Roseanne" as examples.

Star Trek should’ve done one.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Roddenberry’s insistence that there would be no Earth religions in the 23rd century and beyond probably doomed the chances of that, but the possibilities are endless. The Enterprise accidentally beams up Santa, a la Tomorrow Is Yesterday?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Roddenberry’s insistence that there would be no Earth religions in the 23rd century and beyond probably doomed the chances of that, but the possibilities are endless. The Enterprise accidentally beams up Santa, a la Tomorrow Is Yesterday?

I recall that comment by the great turkey / bird.

he should’ve realized he could’ve sold more merchandise if he did.
I guess hallmark realized it??

jimmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
Friday, Dec. 20

168bce4265732f61ac9a8ea95966b35f.jpg

Featuring two back-to-back episodes of the classic series, the colorized "The Christmas Episode" and newly colorized "Paris at Last." "The Christmas Episode" (first presented in black and white on Christmas Eve, 1956) finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky's Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos' son, Little Ricky. In "Paris at Last" (originally aired Feb. 27, 1956) the Ricardos and Mertzes arrive in the French capital, where Lucy encounters a sidewalk artist, who sells multiple copies of the same "original" oil painting, and a con man, who offers a better exchange rate for her American dollars than the one offered in the banks. Later, her attempt to have a quiet lunch in an outdoor café finds her not only unwittingly ordering a plate of snails, but paying the check with counterfeit French francs.

No Dick Van Dyke Show colorized episodes this year, apparently.

Does anyone know if there will be a repeat broadcast of the I Love Lucy Christmas Special which aired last evening (December 20, 2019) at 8:00 p.m. on CBS?

In past years the CBS Lucy Christmas special has been repeated a few days to a week later. But I could find no information online about a repeat broadcast of the Lucy Christmas special this year. And I don't see the episode listed in my cable system's on demand section for CBS either.

030ceecd3e0fbdb69bf905cb9402991a.jpg

I am mainly interested in seeing the newly colorized episode, S05 E18 "Paris at Last," as I already have the actual Christmas episode (S06 E11 "The I Love Lucy Christmas Show") in my video collection.

91bhHfYse-L._SL1500_.jpg

"Rob and Laura Petrie" (Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore)

have been colorized before, but never for the lone Christmas
episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show titled "The Alan Brady Show Presents." A pity too, as at least it is known what colors their
"Dancing Santa Clauses" costumes were.

I also agree with others' posts here that it would be nice to see more colorizations of The Dick Van Dyke Show, especially the Christmas episode of that sitcom, S03 E13 "The Alan Brady Show Presents."

Some other monochromatically-filmed CBS sitcoms it would be nice to see colorized would be The Jack Benny Program, Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, The Danny Thomas Show, Dennis the Menace and Pete and Gladys. Actually, there supposedly was an color episode filmed of Benny's show, S05 E12 "Jack Takes the Beavers to the Fair," from 1955. But the print of it has never been found, to my knowledge. And Benny also had a marvelous Christmas episode ("The Christmas Shopping Show") which ranks among the best of his entire TV series, originally aired on radio and on TV in 1955, then filmed in 1957.

fe5f1d7370088046d2a1bd9b99511300--allen-show-george-burns.jpg

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, the first episode of

Season 5 in color.

There are color-filmed episodes (one each) of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show (S05 E01 "George Invites Critics to Watch First Show of Season") and Lassie (S01 E24 "The Well") on YouTube, from that same period. I read in the book TV on Video by the late Sam Frank that CBS founder William S. Paley issued an edict in that era that several of the most popular series' on the network (formerly known as "The Tiffany Network") were to film at least one color episode as an experiment. Yet, curiously, there was never an color episode filmed of CBS' most popular series at that time, I Love Lucy, or at least not one which has been confirmed.

lassthewell6.jpg

Lassie with Tommy Rettig as "Jeff Miller" in "The Well," one of

two pilots filmed for the long-running (1954-73) TV adventure
series, and in color.

It would also be nice to see some colorized episodes of non-sitcom CBS series', such as Route 66, The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents/The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (actually, Hitchcock's series fluctuated between CBS and NBC between 1955-62, and expanded from a half hour to an hour its last three seasons, 1962-65).

It would also be great to see colorized episodes of black and white sitcoms which originally aired on networks other than CBS, such as Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show and Leave It to Beaver (actually, the sreies began on CBS, but was cancelled and then picked up by ABC, where it aired its remaining five seasons). And since The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet didn't film in color until its 14th and final season (1965-66), and only scant few episodes of those are available, it would also be nice to see some colorized episodes of that series from earlier years, especially during the peak of Ricky Nelson's musical recording career (1957-61).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Does anyone know if there will be a repeat broadcast of the I Love Lucy Christmas Special which aired last evening (December 20, 2019) at 8:00 p.m. on CBS?

In past years the CBS Lucy Christmas special has been repeated a few days to a week later. But I could find no information online about a repeat broadcast of the Lucy Christmas special this year. And I don't see the episode listed in my cable system's on demand section for CBS either.

030ceecd3e0fbdb69bf905cb9402991a.jpg

I am mainly interested in seeing the newly colorized episode, S05 E18 "Paris at Last," as I already have the actual Christmas episode (S06 E11 "The I Love Lucy Christmas Show") in my video collection.

91bhHfYse-L._SL1500_.jpg

"Rob and Laura Petrie" (Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore)

have been colorized before, but never for the lone Christmas
episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show titled "The Alan Brady Show Presents." A pity too, as at least it is known what colors their
"Dancing Santa Clauses" costumes were.

I also agree with others' posts here that it would be nice to see more colorizations of The Dick Van Dyke Show, especially the Christmas episode of that sitcom, S03 E13 "The Alan Brady Show Presents."

Some other monochromatically-filmed CBS sitcoms it would be nice to see colorized would be The Jack Benny Program, Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, The Danny Thomas Show, Dennis the Menace and Pete and Gladys. Actually, there supposedly was an color episode filmed of Benny's show, S05 E12 "Jack Takes the Beavers to the Fair," from 1955. But the print of it has never been found, to my knowledge. And Benny also had a marvelous Christmas episode ("The Christmas Shopping Show") which ranks among the best of his entire TV series, originally aired on radio and on TV in 1955, then filmed in 1957.

fe5f1d7370088046d2a1bd9b99511300--allen-show-george-burns.jpg

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, the first episode of

Season 5 in color.

There are color-filmed episodes (one each) of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show (S05 E01 "George Invites Critics to Watch First Show of Season") and Lassie (S01 E24 "The Well") on YouTube, from that same period. I read in the book TV on Video by the late Sam Frank that CBS founder William S. Paley issued an edict in that era that several of the most popular series' on the network (formerly known as "The Tiffany Network") were to film at least one color episode as an experiment. Yet, curiously, there was never an color episode filmed of CBS' most popular series at that time, I Love Lucy, or at least not one which has been confirmed.

lassthewell6.jpg

Lassie with Tommy Rettig as "Jeff Miller" in "The Well," one of

two pilots filmed for the long-running (1954-73) TV adventure
series, and in color.

It would also be nice to see some colorized episodes of non-sitcom CBS series', such as Route 66, The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents/The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (actually, Hitchcock's series fluctuated between CBS and NBC between 1955-62, and expanded from a half hour to an hour its last three seasons, 1962-65).

It would also be great to see colorized episodes of black and white sitcoms which originally aired on networks other than CBS, such as Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show and Leave It to Beaver (actually, the sreies began on CBS, but was cancelled and then picked up by ABC, where it aired its remaining five seasons). And since The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet didn't film in color until its 14th and final season (1965-66), and only scant few episodes of those are available, it would also be nice to see some colorized episodes of that series from earlier years, especially during the peak of Ricky Nelson's musical recording career (1957-61).

I just looked and the only way to watch it is on all access through cbs. I didn’t realize that all of cbs content is now locked down behind the all access streaming platform. Wow!!

https://www.cbs.com/shows/holiday_c...ds-a-newly-colorized-episode-for-2019-on-cbs/

https://www.cbs.com/shows/holiday_c...p906czkL/i-love-lucy-christmas-special-2019-/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks