What's new

Your Music Choices and Why??? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well...we don't want to get THIS thread too far off-topic, but John got me to listen to some hip-hop & rap. Such as: Fragile by Tech N9ne. And some Kendrick Lamar.

Thanks Mike!

This thread is my attempt to learn more about those who choose to participate. @Mike Frezon and I have been on a trail of discovery for about a year now regarding music and what we prefer to listen to. Mike can [and will] correct me if I'm wrong but I would say we've both learned from the experience and exposed each other to things we formerly dismissed but ultimately found interesting,

For starters, Mike introduced me to Diana Krall. I listened and learned.

Any similar stories???

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...HERE'S a thread which is getting off to a most-excellent start! :D

I definitely learned, John Dirk. Most definitely.

And while I found the experience of listening to rap/hip-hop interesting, I sheepishly admit that I came no closer to personally appreciating it as an art form. I feel bad about that, as I like to think I've got an open mind, but there are aspects of it that just don't work for me.

But, I don't like opera either. :laugh:

But that's NOT really what this thread is about!

I like many music genres: jazz, pop, rock, classical, blues, showtunes, Disney (which encompasses a wide range of styles), and more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, @John Dirk , since one of the pieces I mentioned that seems to have prompted you to start this thread was Mahler's 2nd Symphony, I figured I'd post this excerpt. The full symphony is feature-film length, usually running about 100 minutes, but here's the final 15 minutes or so. I first heard this sometime in High School, and it was a mind expanding experience. I've seen it performed live twice, and a third might be coming in a couple weeks. It's not a small feat to pull this one off, and I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to experience it how it's truly supposed to be performed, like it is here. BTW, this is Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Youth Orchestra and the National Youth Choir of Great Britain. Youth performers playing one of the most challenging pieces of music ever composed, and doing a hell of a job of it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Well, @John Dirk , since one of the pieces I mentioned that seems to have prompted you to start this thread was Mahler's 2nd Symphony, I figured I'd post this excerpt. The full symphony is feature-film length, usually running about 100 minutes, but here's the final 15 minutes or so. I first heard this sometime in High School, and it was a mind expanding experience. I've seen it performed live twice, and a third might be coming in a couple weeks. It's not a small feat to pull this one off, and I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to experience it how it's truly supposed to be performed, like it is here. BTW, this is Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Youth Orchestra and the National Youth Choir of Great Britain. Youth performers playing one of the most challenging pieces of music ever composed, and doing a hell of a job of it.

Simply magnificent, isn’t it! Never fails to reach me!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll mention two disparate sources that have expanded my exposure to and interest in several styles of music that were not part of my normal, mostly rock and roll diet of music. (If I understand the purpose of this thread correctly. :) )

I was well aware of music from the first half of the century from sources such as Ken Burns' Jazz (which is excellent, BTW) and film soundtracks that focused upon that period, but playing Fallout 4 and using a lot of radio station mods exposed me to a lot of 40's and 50's music and stimulated my interest in that period. Artists such as Johnny Mercer, Jo Stafford, Betty Hutton, Bullmoose Jackson, The Ink Spots, to name just a few.

The recent Ken Burns' series Country Music definitely game me more appreciation for that genre. I've been sampling quite a bit of this particular style of music on you tube.

I don't purchase a lot of music these days, nor do I listen to much either; but I think both of the categories I've mentioned will begin to make my way into my music library.

- Walter.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
As far as rap, hip hop, disco, country and western, I'd rather stick a pencil in my eye !

Country and western covers a wide range. Can you really say that you'd rather stick a pencil in your eye than listen to albums like these?
  • Ray Charles – Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
  • Johnny Cash – The Greatest: The Number Ones
  • Emmylou Harris – Profile II: The Best of Emmylou Harris
  • Alison Krauss – Windy City
  • Bill Monroe & Doc Watson – Live Duet Recordings: Off the Record V2
  • The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – Will the Circle be Unbroken
  • Dolly Parton – Pure & Simple
  • Linda Ronstadt – Duets

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Gershon Kingsley--circa 1969. Because I love the Moog synthesizer, and what he did for it. Jazzy.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Great topic!

I feel I was lucky regarding the music influences in my life. Growing up in the 70’s “Top 40” radio played EVERYTHING. So, as a “pop music” fan I listened to everyone from ABBA to Queen to Dolly Parton to Earth Wind and Fire. I came of age musically with the beginning of MTV, disco, alternative and New Wave. Dad was a huge fan of big band, jazz and classical.

Since I have a wide range of music I like I’m always open to finding an artist I wasn’t familiar with. My parents traveled to Sweden years ago and mom picked up several CDs for me and one recommended to her by the clerk was Absolute Music (a Scandinavian version of Now That’s What I Call Music) with several songs in Swedish. More music artists to track down!

People listening to my music in the car or in my apartment can’t believe my range of music likes. That’s why I have over 33K songs in my iTunes library!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I can break down my musical tastes into two distinct categories: "emotionally charged" and "academic".

The only music where I feel any "emotional" context (whether high interest or great disgust), is generally stuff I grew up listening to when I was a preteen and teenager.

Otherwise music which I first encountered as an adult, is largely of the "academic" type.

This is completely independent of genre/style of the music.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How exactly I figured this out, is a somewhat sad mundane experiences.

In midlife, I went searching for music which triggers the "emotionally charged" feeling for me.

The no-brainer obvious case, is watching these same classic bands in concert or listening to their more recent cds. Unfortunately I found out they're not very interesting to me anymore, and do not produce any "emotional" triggers for me. Basically it was as if I was watching/listening to it in an "academic" manner.

The next obvious cases were covers of old classic songs. Unfortunately I found out the had way that covers of classic songs also seem "academic" to me.

Less obvious cases is finding younger bands which attempt to replicate / imitate the style of these classic bands in a more "fresh" manner. (Subjectively it seems like older rockers seem to produce music that sounds "stale" to me). Unfortunately while such output may seem fresh and more original sounding, it was also "academic" to me.

In the end in a roundabout way, I figure out the only music which triggered the "emotional" context for me, was the exact same stuff I listened to when I was a preteen and teenager.

Music which seems "academic" to me without any "emotinally charged" context, is not really something that I enjoy listening to more than once.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is a great topic. I recently read an article online that somewhat corroborates what Jcroy is saying. It attempted to explain why every generation ultimately decides that the music of today "all sounds the same" and why they "don't make them like they used to." If I get motivated enough I will try to find it and post the link.

I listen to music a lot. One of my favorite past times. I am drawn to the music of my youth which is generally classic rock but I can appreciate and enjoy all kinds of music. In fact, my wife and I just watched the episode of SNL in which Harry Styles both hosted and was the musical guest. We both enjoyed his performances. Will I now rush out to purchase his work? Probably not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a wide range of music tastes, such as classic rock, blues, jazz, classical and just a little country (although not a lot of this). Oh, and I was a Diana Krall fan long before Mike first mentioned her on this forum (sorry, Mike, you cannot claim another convert ;)). The biggest part of my collection is classic rock from the '60's and '70's -- the era I grew up in.

BTW, this was the song my wife and I danced to for the first time at our wedding. I love Buddy Holly.

BTW #2 -- shouldn't this be in the music section of the forum?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is a great topic. I recently read an article online that somewhat corroborates what Jcroy is saying

There are two cases where this ^ became crystal clarity for me.

A few years ago I went searching for Def Leppard songs on youtube, and came across versions of "Rock of Ages" and "Hysteria" which didn't sound quite "right" in spite of the singer's voice sounding very similar. (Def Leppard's Pyromania and Hysteria albums both have a huge emotional resonance for me). From some googling, I came to the realization that Def Leppard re-recorded some of their classic songs in 2012 or 2013 which were released online.

It turns out these newer re-recorded versions didn't produce any immediate emotional reaction for me. They seemed "academic" to me.

The second case was the theme music for Magnum PI. I watched the original Magnum PI back in the day, where the iconic theme music was heavily emotionally imprinted on my brain.

When I watched the first episode of the reboot, the familiar Magnum PI theme music didn't produce a huge emotional reaction for me. It sounded as if it was a cover version and "academic" to me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This thought process simply does not match my own. Not in the slightest. Yes, music from my youth does tend to bring back fondness, even when the music in question basically sucked. Some of it I've continued to enjoy, because it happened to be great music on its own. But the vast majority of music I listen to and enjoy didn't even exist, or I hadn't heard yet while I was growing up.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, as to the why part of the question...I have been inspired by music from the time I was born and perhaps before that as my parents were always playing music and both have wide and varied tastes. My grandparents loved music as well. So, it was always there for me and I just can't imagine life without it. I do think to some extent there is a genetic imprint aspect to it but I can only say I need to be around it and I need it in my life. It is like a drug for me. A total and complete addiction.

So, I feel like I was always aware of music and it always made me feel things. To go to the beginning for me though, I think I was 2 or 3 and I became aware of what a record was. And there were record collections in the houses I was in. So, I would make my way over to them and flip through them. At that age I really would primarily be attracted to the images on the covers but I can still recall hearing this as a tiny child as the song that made me aware that there was music filling a room...

Now as this played I can sort of recall I thought the notes were just there, I mean actually touchable things floating in the air. I also think I got physically upset when the song ended because I was still trying to get my little paws on the sounds I thought I could actually touch. Things would only get worse.

As I became able to read, which was not long after, the words and names on the covers of the records began to attract me. It was names of blues players that first caught my little eyes. Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker...these names fascinated me. So, no surprise when my little hands shoved a 45 at my father to get him to play this...

He said as it began my eyes grew wide and as the song kicked in my head leaned back as if I was just falling into the song.

Blues remains for me to this day something I just never tire of or can get enough of.

From there I was off, just listening to everything I could. Blues, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Folk, country, I wanted and needed to sample it all.

I went to hundreds of concerts, had all sorts of musical experiences, learned to play some piano before turning to the guitar, simply because I could take that anywhere.

Now, I still listen. Still pick up the guitar. I sadly don't really go looking for new groups or music much anymore and I only attend a concert 4 or 5 times a year always swearing I will go more. There is a lot of music in my head. It will take a long time to sort of lay that out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This thought process simply does not match my own. Not in the slightest. Yes, music from my youth does tend to bring back fondness, even when the music in question basically sucked. Some of it I've continued to enjoy, because it happened to be great music on its own. But the vast majority of music I listen to and enjoy didn't even exist, or I hadn't heard yet while I was growing up.

Everyone has their own experiences. Your musical sense is probably a lot more sophisticated than mine.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Country and western covers a wide range. Can you really say that you'd rather stick a pencil in your eye than listen to albums like these?
  • Ray Charles – Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
  • Johnny Cash – The Greatest: The Number Ones
  • Emmylou Harris – Profile II: The Best of Emmylou Harris
  • Alison Krauss – Windy City
  • Bill Monroe & Doc Watson – Live Duet Recordings: Off the Record V2
  • The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – Will the Circle be Unbroken
  • Dolly Parton – Pure & Simple
  • Linda Ronstadt – Duets

Yes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks