What's new

Sub Woofer question (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I'm looking at a budget 5.2 Sony STRDH receiver but it requires a powered sub. I have an older Titan II LE powered sub from my two channel system that I'm not using. It has frequency and level adjustments and RCA line inputs. Would it work with the Sony or do I need to buy a new sub?

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Do you mean an ACI Titan II LE?

If so, it's a great subwoofer, and will work with the receiver.
Thanks, Yes it is made by ACI. It's been a while since I purchased it but at the time it was pretty popular.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That should be what you want. Powered subs are the standard for current surround receivers. You adjust them with the receiver, so you want to set the frequency to its highest setting, or use a bypass if it has it, and the volume around the middle. Then you use the receiver setup to make those adjustments.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
That should be what you want. Powered subs are the standard for current surround receivers. You adjust them with the receiver, so you want to set the frequency to its highest setting, or use a bypass if it has it, and the volume around the middle. Then you use the receiver setup to make those adjustments.
Thanks, I just received the HTR and hope to set it up today. Looks like I'll need to go with a 3.1 configuration until I can find some different surround speakers.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Well my experiment hasn't worked out too well. No matter what I try the system makes my ears hurt and results in extreme listener fatigue. I'm planning to return the receiver and go back to my old system. The front speakers aren't great just older sony satellite speakers that sounded fine ( not great but better than the TV sound and no listener fatigue) with the older sony receiver, the auto calibration function of the new receiver set the crossover at 200 Hz so they have little or no bass in the bottom three octaves. Going forward I'm either going to try a different receiver, slowly upgrade the speakers and try a new receiver later on, or just try one of the better rated all in one systems that includes speakers and a receiver.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You know, the subwoofer comes in below the crossover point, so you do get those frequencies, just from the subwoofer.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
You know, the subwoofer comes in below the crossover point, so you do get those frequencies, just from the subwoofer.
Thanks, yes part of the instructions were to set the crossover settings to the highest frequency before the calibration. This sub has two crossover controls and I opened them both up and set the phase adjustment to 90 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks