What's new

Deciding between 7.2 or 5.2.4 in new house (1 Viewer)

I’m having a new home built next spring. I won’t have a dedicated home theater. My open plan great room (approx 20’ x 25’) is going to need to be my TV/audio area. I will have traditional speakers for L-R-C (currently have a Q Acoustics set up with the Concept 40’s in my condo), however surround and Atmos speakers are going to be an issue.

As you’ll see in the photos, the traditional surround speaker set up just above the listening area is not really feasible (I don’t want a speaker set up on a stand in the walkway by the kitchen island). If I did a 5.2.4 set up, I could put rear surrounds in the back wall in the dining area 2 or 3 feet above the listening area. The downside, they would be 12-15 feet behind the listening area. And then the Atmos speakers would be in the ceiling above the listening area.

The 5.2.4 would be my first choice, but if most folks think the rear speakers that far back will be problematic, the other option is to skip Atmos, and just do a 7.2 set up. Where the four surround speakers would all be in the ceiling. I would like to hear opinions. Thanks! FYI, my place will not have a fireplace, so that wall where the TV will be mounted is deeper than the photo of the model home with the fireplace.

Attachments

• D47984FB-3311-4636-854C-2216C9CE2566.jpeg
    D47984FB-3311-4636-854C-2216C9CE2566.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 136
  • 3F79640E-55B7-43AF-8511-5D7EE98743A8.jpeg
    3F79640E-55B7-43AF-8511-5D7EE98743A8.jpeg
    635.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 79F43BF6-DE41-4A57-9CF1-29C9B2B3272D.jpeg
    79F43BF6-DE41-4A57-9CF1-29C9B2B3272D.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can do a pretty good setup there. I'll contribute more, but I won't have enough time until later. Maybe someone else will chime in before then.

A couple basic thoughts. in a 5.x.x system, the surrounds go on the sides, not the back. Common misconception. in a 7.x.x then you add a pair in the back. I wouldn't do only in-ceiling surrounds. If you can install in-ceiling speakers, then your room is perfect for either a 5.x.2/4 or 7.x.2/4 setup.

So, what sort of budget do you have in mind for audio electronics? There tends to be a big cost difference between 9 speakers and 11.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Especially in the cost of a receiver.
...plus an external amp, usually. BUT, you can get one that drives 9 channels, and processes 11 (the Denon X3600 is the cheapest I know of) , so that, in the future, it can be added. Have the room prepped for 7.x.4, if you want, then you have the option.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of the Anthem MRX 1120 if I went 5.2.4 or the MRX 720 if I do 7.2 (I am curious about the new NAD T778 that just launched). The subs I’m leaning to are SVS because of the wireless capability. However, Rythmik Audio’s servo technology really appeals, but the lack of wireless is a bummer.

I realize that in a 5.x.x system the surrounds should be to the side, but I can’t do a side channel on the kitchen side (it’s open). If I used the end of that side wall the speaker would be in front of the listening position. So, the rear wall is the compromise if those speakers were going to be at the correct height. If I do 7.2 , then the compromise is not having them at the correct height (they’d be in-ceiling), but at least they’d be in the correct position (2 to the side and 2 just behind the listening position). Thus the dilemma.

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If your surrounds are going to be in the ceiling then I don't see the point of going with 4 Atmos/overheads, as the sound will be coming from the same location. When you set your receiver to (for instance) 7.x.2, it will send the missing 2 Atmos channels to the rear surrounds, which would have be the same location in your case. So in my opinion 7.x.2 is best for you.

That is unless you want to consider putting the surrounds in the walls. It seems like you could do that from the builder's diagrams but I wasn't 100% on that.

I’d only go the Atmos route if I put the surrounds in the wall. However, the issue is if they are in the rear wall, they’d be 12-15 feet behind. I don’t think I can do the side walls because on one side, the wall ends a bit in front of the listening position, and on the other wall it would a bit behind because of the window. I’m assuming this would not be good. Or, do you have some wiggle room? Maybe that would be better than the rear walls.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have wiggle room. That would be much better than side surrounds in the back of the room.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
FWIW - I have a 5.1.2 setup in my new home. I elected to do bookshelfs on stands for the front but did the surrounds in-wall behind my sofa and am satisfied with the audio effects that I am getting with this arrangement. More than once I have turned my head because of the sound. BUT, my in-wall speakers are spaced about the same distance apart as the front L/R and the sofa is close to the back wall with the speakers about 1 foot above the MLP ear-height.

mayaoung

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I am very happy for you. A new house is something very significant, and I am sure it looks absolutely awesome. I also plan to start building a new home this year, but I am not sure if I will finish it in less than 2 years. Anyway, I already made the design, hired an architect, and even found a company that provides rooftop repair services. Still, I hope I will manage to start my project as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks