What's new

Any HTF members own a Peloton Bike? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That damn Howard Stern keeps talking about his!

I like working out. I am on the treadmill for an hour day, doing a brisk walk and a total burn of just over 700 calories.

However, being retired, I still can't keep from putting weight on

I really can't run on the treadmill because I tore my meniscus years ago. Every time I try to put that kind of force on my legs I can feel the pain coming back.

The Peloton sounds pretty exciting, though it's pretty damn expensive.

Still, I could do an additional 45 minutes on that a day and probably drop more weight while getting myself in better shape.

Just wondering if anyone here has one, though Home Theater watching and exercise don't generally go hand-in-hand.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't stand those commercials. The latest one with that woman is under fire. I'm surprise you never bought a stationary bike beforehand because I know you work out a lot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, been following the controversy with the commercial.

No, I never really considered a stationary bike. The thing that is different from Peloton, as you are aware, is that you have a live instructor motivating you and I like that.

You know, since retiring, despite being on the treadmill an hour a day I sit for 8 hours afterward. This seems like a good way to burn some calories and enjoy doing it at the same time.

Let's just say I am doing a lot of research on this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, been following the controversy with the commercial.

No, I never really considered a stationary bike. The thing that is different from Peloton, as you are aware, is that you have a live instructor motivating you and I like that.

You know, since retiring, despite being on the treadmill an hour a day I sit for 8 hours afterward. This seems like a good way to burn some calories and enjoy doing it at the same time.

Let's just say I am doing a lot of research on this.
How much those puppies cost?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I got a stationary bike and a laptop that I can use while I am on it - works just fine for me and I mostly forget that I am on it while browsing the web.

Looking at the added benefit of Peloton I would say that the money they charge as both a one time charge and on a monthly basis is a hefty sum. For that money I would go for a gym membership and a regular stationary bike and spend the rest on movies / home theater stuff :)

In the gym they also have classes for people who want to be instructed while excercising plus you'll have the opportunity to work your back and abdominal muscles that have to get some extra attention as we age, especially for those among us with a more sedentary lifestyle.

That being said if you stick to it and the money is no object then the Peloton is certainly better than an exercise plan that looks better on paper but then does not get acted upon.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
What is the controversy?

Some kind criticism I believe about the woman in the commercial beeing really fit looking from the start so why would her husband/boyfriend give her a Peloton as a present, something to that effect.

I bet if they used somebody who looks bigger they would have been blasted for fat-shaming or something like it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sometimes I think people look for excuses just to get pissed off at everything.

Another piece of the criticism is that this is a husband buying his wife a Peloton so she could do a better job of getting in shape.

The commercial could have shown both of them using it, but instead, concentrated on just her and thus, people take it as the husband having selfish reasons for buying it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the commercial. Pretty soon it will be impossible to make any sort of content without the raising the ire of the social outrage brigade. The whole thing is vaguely hilarious in that a "life changing" event for her is to get a stationary bike. So much for marriage. :D

The Peloton craze escapes me. No matter how much you dress it up, it is still just a stationary bike that will get boring really fast, even with a "personal trainer". I mean, all you have to do is shut off the TV and there goes the motivation.;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched the commercial. Pretty soon it will be impossible to make any sort of content without the raising the ire of the social outrage brigade. The whole thing is vaguely hilarious in that a "life changing" event for her is to get a stationary bike. So much for marriage. :D

The Peloton craze escapes me. No matter how much you dress it up, it is still just a stationary bike that will get boring really fast, even with a "personal trainer". I mean, all you have to do is shut off the TV and there goes the motivation.;)

Edwin,

I am not saying you are wrong, because I don't yet own one of these.

However, I can tell you I have spent countless hours over the past two days sitting (when I could be exercising) watching over a dozen YouTube videos and reading reviews both from tech sites like CNET and from people who actually own and use these things.

With everything I read and saw, I swear to you, I didn't read one negative review. The only negatives I read was that there are other similar systems out there that are cheaper and can achieve different goals.

However, that being said, this Peloton is a huge, sweeping sensation. If you look at the YouTube videos from owners you can see how happy and motivated they are to actually get on a bike and work out.

The big appeal is the interaction with a live trainer. You have a coach motivating you. The software does a really great job of connecting you with friends who have Pelotons, recording and sharing your successes if you give it permission to.

There is a reason for this seemingly overnight sensation: It's a bit "out of the box" from the norm. It apparently has done a great job of motivating people to work out.

I think I am going to do a video diary and post it on our YouTube channel. From ordering to delivery, to month after month of usage. Maybe it will be a total fail for me or inspiration to someone else looking to purchase. I know the YouTube videos I watch are very inspiring.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I take it that for some reason a gym membership is out of the question. So if you'd still like to have some live interaction and motivation while staying at home this looks like a good fit for you if you are OK with the costs involved.

At least it is a lot less money than paying for your own personal trainer :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I take it that for some reason a gym membership is out of the question. So if you'd still like to have some live interaction and motivation while staying at home this looks like a good fit for you if you are OK with the costs involved.

At least it is a lot less money than paying for your own personal trainer :)

This is exactly the case.

I am more of an introvert, and as thus, I don't like going out to gyms or being in crowd situations. I don't seek social circles.

This is why I surround myself with home comforts. My home is my cave and I would rather bring the gym experience into the home rather than interact with people.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I am more of an introvert, and as thus, I don't like going out to gyms or being in crowd situations. I don't seek social circles.
I'm largely the same, but still joined a gym for health reasons. I just keep my headphones on and mostly ignore the people around me. Been going for over six years. Couldn't tell you the names of more than a half-dozen "regulars" there, and those are only from overhearing other people call them by their names. The only person there I have any regular conversation with is the owner.

Made the mistake of helping a newbie find a piece of equipment they were looking for a couple of days ago and had to introduce myself when he offered his hand and announced that he was an "Ira". **shudder**

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a long-term relationship. ;)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Ronald Epstein You spent double the price of this bike on your 4K projector. If spending $2500 on a bike instead of a new piece of HT gear will help keep you active and healthy in your retirement, that's money well spent.

And to hear from an owner, I asked my sister:
Do you like your peloton? A friend is considering buying one, to help get some exercise in his retirement.

She responds:
Love it. The subscription includes the app so he can also do yoga, treadmill (don’t need theirs), outdoor runs, strength training.

They have a 30 day trial. They deliver and pick up if he decides he’s doesn’t want it. He does not need their fancy equipment unless it’s just easier than buying cheaper riding shoes and the pedal clips.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly the case.

This is why I surround myself with home comforts. My home is my cave and I would rather bring the gym experience into the home rather than interact with people.

In that case go for it, the importance of health cannot be overstated so if that helps you stay fit it is definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks