What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 5) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The fifth season of the bonkers, timewarping DC ensemble series will premiere Tuesday, Jan. 21 at 9/8c on The CW.

Season 1 thread
Season 2 thread
Season 3 thread
Season 4 thread

A special new episode will air the week before, serving as the culmination of the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover event.

As the end of season four, the Legends defeated Neron and changed the future, rewriting Zari's backstory in the process. In the revised timeline, Zari has been replaced by her previously dead brother Behrad, and only Nate (who was technically dead at the time) is aware that the timeline has changed. Can the Legends go back to who they were next season? Can a reformed arsonist turned romance novelist Mick Rory, a half-werewolf named Mona Wu, and a punk rocker shapeshifter named Charlie stop the literal Hell that Astra unleashes on the world in the finale? And what happens when the Legends awaken the original guardians of Time (no, not the Time Masters, sillies, that was season one!) who wish to erase everything the Legends have “screwed up for the better” over the past four seasons?

Keto Shimizu is serving as showrunner for the new season. Previous showrunner Phil Klemmer remains involved as an executive producer.

Official Trailer:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It was a bit weird. I felt a "What We Do in the Shadows" vibe coming across the episode, especially with Rasputin.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought the premiere was a riot. Great stuff.
Me too. The show was fun again, which wasn't always the case for the back half of last season.

In particular, I'm glad the Time Bureau is done and over with. Having the split focus between the Waverider and the Time Bureau hurt the show, and cut down on the amount of time the show could spend on the Legends' missions.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ava as a character, but she works better as a the fish out of water on the Waverider than she did as the tight ass leader of the Time Bureau.

The character of Mona wasn't working, and the show very smartly found a way to write her out that felt in keeping with the characterization last season. That's not a reflection on Ramona Young, who played the character as written. But once they made her a Hawaiian werewolf, the character became very one note.

I was worried about them swapping out Zari for her brother, but Behrad was a lot of fun. Somehow, it seems impossible that this show made it to its fifth season before it introduced a stoner as a member of the crew. It'll be interesting to see how different Zari is in the new timeline, since Tala Ashe is still credited as a series regular.

I felt like previously, most of Constantine's scenes felt like we were dropped into his NBC series in the middle of a "Legends" episode. This episode found a way to have the character really operate on this show's wavelength. I was dying when he drank the bottle of Rasputin gore to get back to Hell.

It was a bit weird.
I feel like that could be said about any episode of "Legends".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another fun one.

interesting that they seeming to be switching up all of the Arrowverse title cards post-Crisis. The credits font was also different this week.

I liked that Zari was still Zari, even though her circumstances were completely different. You can see the person she was underneath the person she is.

Looks like Nora's back next week.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another fun one.

interesting that they seeming to be switching up all of the Arrowverse title cards post-Crisis. The credits font was also different this week.

I liked that Zari was still Zari, even though her circumstances were completely different. You can see the person she was underneath the person she is.

Looks like Nora's back next week.

Yes, for a few moments Zari was herself. It will be interesting where they go from here.

Neil

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed this week's episode, although Ava's singing was cringe-worthy (as I suppose it was supposed to be).

Nice to see Zari back. I hope solving the mystery of who she is and what happened doesn't take the entire season.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this week's episode, although Ava's singing was cringe-worthy (as I suppose it was supposed to be).

Nice to see Zari back. I hope solving the mystery of who she is and what happened doesn't take the entire season.
Ava's singing wasn't bad when we saw the part that was just in her mind. When we saw it from the point of view of everyone else, then .....

What happened with Zari was "explained" as an effect of changing things at Heyworld. Just one of those ripples in time. Now, somehow merging her with the other timeline worth of memories is another matter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After stumbling quite a bit last season, this season has been firing on all cylinders.

Tonight's episode, marking Caity Lotz's directorial debut, featured everything I love about the show: thrilling but zany action; offbeat humor; mishmashed history; the fun interplay of a crew of misfits with varying flaws, strengths, and eccentricities. A blast from beginning to end.

The main storylines with the crew aboard the Waverider have all been working, and the subplot with Constantine paired off with various Legends has also been working.

When Nate undercut Ava's fancy new anomaly detector with an electric scooter he had dubbed "Scoots McGoots", I knew I was all in on this episode.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Most of this episode was good.

But ... I want Constantine gone. Every time they went to his story, the episode ground to a halt. And instead of wanting him cured, I just wanted him to die. He is such an unpleasant character (illustrated by his excessive berating Gary and Ray) that I don’t care about him. And the show hasn’t given us a reason to want the Astra redemption to succeed either. He’s like a toxic ‘friend’ or abusive spouse - we tolerate his actions but he’ll never be good to have around.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am sure Caity Lotz's limited appearance the last two episodes is solely due to her director debut. The first episode prepping and the second episode filming. I doubt we have even gotten to the episodes of Legends that were filmed at the same time as Crisis. I think the Crisis episodes were the last episodes Brandon Routh filmed after he finished on Legends. He has said he finished in October and October was when the Crisis was filmed. The same with Grant on The Flash. He was little used in several episodes of the Flash in 2020 and people were saying it was because of Crisis. Maybe one episode was due to Crisis filming , He wasn't that heavily featured in Crisis. Actors may be lightly featured for story purposes or to give the actors a break in a long season. Last season Grant was given time off for his wedding and honeymoon, for example.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Routh discusses his departure from "Legends of Tomorrow" with Michael Rosenbaum:

Mina Sundwall (from the Neflix "Lost in Space") is joining the cast Tuesday as:
Lita, Mick Rory's daughter from his one night stand at his high school reunion in 2004.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, now we know how the show is writing out Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford. At least it's a happily ever after ending.

I love Neal McDonough as Damien Darhk. He gets to play so many more different and interesting notes with the character than "Arrow" allowed for. Damien and Nora had a nice arc in this episode, but Damien also had a nice arc individually.

The "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" parody was sort of WTF, but that's par for the course with this show. Clearly there were people on the production design team who were big Mister Rogers fans, because quite a few of the sets were dead-on, with only minor differences in the set decoration.

I liked Mina Sundwall as Mick Rory's daughter. The two of them played off each other well, and she seems like she'll be an interesting foil for Mick going forward, while providing him new notes to play since the show's exhausted Mick the hard-drinking criminal and Mick the bestselling romance novelist. It's an interesting version of soap opera rapid aging syndrome to have Mick knock boots with an old high school flame in 2004, and then meet his fifteen- or sixteen-year-old daughter in 2020, only a couple weeks later from his perspective.

The show's found a balance with Gary, where it uses the character just the right amount. There's not enough there to make him a series regular, but as a bit of garnish for the episode to inject a little levity into a few moments an episode, he works well.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to seeing what they will be doing with Mick's daughter.

I was sad to see Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford being written out, but it was done well. I am looking forward to hearing the interview with Brandon Routh to find out more of what was going on behind the scenes.

[EDIT] Started listening. I didn't realize that they were a married couple. Nice that they were able to work together. Just got to the point where he starts talking about leaving Legends. ~ 40.5 minutes in.
.... Finished the interview. It was quite interesting. He talks about the last day of filming near the end at about 1:16. Apparently he filmed some Crisis scenes last.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the latest episode. I thought Courtney Ford really shined in it; probably her best appearance yet. I think she and Routh have one more (?) before they are finished?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks