Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

The Story of Temple Drake Blu-ray Review
templedraketop2-1024x683.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw this film at MoMA at its modern premiere in 1972. I believe it was a nitrate print that was immaculate. It still had the power to shock. One must remember that this film had been pulled from circulation since the implementation of the Code in 1934, and that it survived intact simply because it was not allowed to be re-released. By sheer luck, it wasn't junked, nor did it suffer nitrate rot. And here it is: Enjoy! Hopkins lived to see it one last time a week or two before her demise.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Fantastic review, Matt. I had not heard of this film until I read about the Criterion release. This will be a blind buy, but from you review and what I have read about the film elsewhere, it will definitely be worth it!

Sean

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Temple Drake may be the first example in literature (Faulkner's Sanctuary) and in film of the Stockholm Syndrome. I'm sure it was hard to understand in 1933. The novel, of course, was successful because it was, in Faulkner's words, a potboiler written with one thought in mind: to make money.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Watched this last night too. Enjoyed it but does seem mild (if you're talking sordid) compared to William Wellman's 1931 SAFE IN HELL.There is certainly no uplift to end that movie. And Dorothy MacKaill deserved a chance at a longer career--- if she desired it. SAFE IN HELL usually plays two or three times a year on TCM. I hope Criterion has their sights on that title; there are some nice Wellman touches in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks