What's new

What’s Your Preferred Donut? (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like cream filled. I wish there were more mom and pop donut shops. When I was a kid in crystal River FL, there was a place called Tony’s that my dad always took us to.

today we seem to have 2 corporate choices. Dunkin and Krispy Kreme. They are all fine. But I would give anything to be a kid again for donuts

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really a fan of Dunkin'. My mouth always feels like it's been coated with grease after eating one. No Krispy Kreme anywhere near here, and no local bakeries to speak of that make donuts.

Got some Apple Cider donuts at BJ's Wholesale Club this fall that were quite good. They actually had some apple cider flavor, and they had some chewy texture to them. Many donuts are so soft, it's basically like eating cotton candy.

Occasionally buy some from the local Price Chopper supermarket, but regardless of the flavor listed on the box they always taste mostly the same, like a passable plain donut.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My go-to's are:
  • Yeast donuts (e.g. Krispy Kreme)
  • Fried cake donuts (e.g. Duck Donuts)
  • Classic glazed and Chocolate glazed
  • Jelly
But I like donuts of all stripes and assortments. Some are better than others. We've had some high-end donut shops come and go around here. They've been good, but for my money, none so good as Duck Donuts.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I grew up on Daylight Donuts (regular glazed and cinnamon rolls). When I moved out at 18, I discovered Shipley Donuts and they’ve become my go to place for donuts. I prefer the chocolate covered but occasionally I’ll buy a maple bacon. I tried Dunkin and Krispy Kreme and they both taste gross to me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Blueberry Glazed.

All we have around here--for the most part--are Dunkin Donuts (with the exception of a few local doughnut bakeries).

With much fanfare--several years ago--a Krispy Kreme opened in the area. It was a BIG deal. The traffic flow near the place was gunked up for a very long time. It was always busy and it seemed that everyone went there and every one loved it. But for some reason unknown to me (and to anyone else I've ever talked to about it) they closed down after a couple years never to be seen again. I don't get it and I really miss it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Donuts must be a bigger thing in the US than Canada. Donut chains, outside of Tim Hortons, don't seem to do so well up here. The Dunkin' Donut shops that opened in my area of the BC gave all closed. Krispy Kreme opened up in larger Canadian centers and pretty well all failed. Robin's Donuts seem to have disappeared.

What is funny is that Tim Horton donuts are really not all that good and a lit people say McDonald's coffee is better, but TH just keeps steaming along in Canada.

The perception of them being Canadian must go a long way to their popularity, even though they have not been a Canadian-owned chain for a long time now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
[Krispy Kreme] was always busy and it seemed that everyone went there and every one loved it. But for some reason unknown to me (and to anyone else I've ever talked to about it) they closed down after a couple years never to be seen again. I don't get it and I really miss it.
That's a great mystery about KK. They seem to have a good product, and everywhere I've traveled that has a KK locally it seems to do a great business, but they don't seem to have a very good franchising operation. There are a lot of areas that would love a KK, but they're few and far between in the Northeast. I guess they think they cannot compete with Dunkin' in this region, but I think they're far superior to Dunkin'.

I had family passing by the KK in Erie, PA, this fall, and hoped they'd pick up a couple dozen to bring home. Alas, they did not.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We used to have an excellent, local, bakery (over 20 years ago). The owner/chef died suddenly from a heart attack. His wife wanted more than twice what the business was worth and let it go to rot rather than drop the price. It never reopened and the building was about to fall in when the property was finally sold.

Shortly after that Shipley's came to town. In the past few years we got a Krispy Kreme. Neither make as good a donut as that local owned bakery with product that's just slightly better than Walmart or grocery store donuts.

Blueberry cake or lemon filled are my top two. No local bakery can make a cake donut that's worth eating and the filled taste like they use canned pie filling.

The only good donut shop anywhere close is Gibson Donut's in Memphis, TN (about 90 miles away). Anytime we go to Memphis we make it a point to go to Gibson's and get a few dozen of our favorites. Their product is just like that from the local shop that closed over 20 years ago.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Coconut donuts!

local places are usually better but we end up at Dunkin usually on holidays.

RickyH

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
I like cream filled. I wish there were more mom and pop donut shops. When I was a kid in crystal River FL, there was a place called Tony’s that my dad always took us to.

today we seem to have 2 corporate choices. Dunkin and Krispy Kreme. They are all fine. But I would give anything to be a kid again for donuts
Here in Panama City Beach, Florida we still have a local mom & pop donut shop, "Thomas Donuts" (Mike Thomas). They've been here in the same location, same wood frame building and same owner for thirty or more years. The best donuts around here, Dunkin and Krispy Kreme that we have in town doesn't come close.

Attachments

• thomas 2.jpeg
    thomas 2.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only donuts I don't like are Honey Crullers. They are gross in my book.

Edit: Not even a hole in the middle can save those pastry abominations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks