What's new

Budget Surround Speaker Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Just purchased a new home theater receiver that requires 6-16 ohm speakers. My old surrounds are 3 ohm and I have 4 6 ohm speakers. My options are to buy a good center channel speaker E.G. Elac with the hope of upgrading the other four in the future or buy a pair of surrounds now use three of the four existing speakers in front with the hope of upgrading them later.

The center channel speaker I was considering is the Elac Debut 2.0 and the surrounds are Polk T15, Fluance XSBP2, or Acoustic Audio AA321B. The HTR is 145W/channel, My TV room is smaller, I hate bright speakers, and I don't listen at high volumes. I looked at Micca speakers but their impedance was 4-8 ohms. I'm hoping to use my ACI Titan II LE sub.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Just purchased a new home theater receiver that requires 6-16 ohm speakers. My old surrounds are 3 ohm and I have 4 6 ohm speakers. My options are to buy a good center channel speaker E.G. Elac with the hope of upgrading the other four in the future or buy a pair of surrounds now use three of the four existing speakers in front with the hope of upgrading them later.

The center channel speaker I was considering is the Elac Debut 2.0 and the surrounds are Polk T15, Fluance XSBP2, or Acoustic Audio AA321B. The HTR is 145W/channel, My TV room is smaller, I hate bright speakers, and I don't listen at high volumes. I looked at Micca speakers but their impedance was 4-8 ohms. I'm hoping to use my ACI Titan II LE sub.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Any opposition to using ELAC's as your mains? The Debut 2 bookshelves are nominally 6 ohms, and sound fantastic.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Seconded.

I don't know why you wouldn't just get ELAC Debuts all the way around. Makes a lot more sense than buying mismatched speakers. Plus the ELAC Debut V2 are awesome. And that's from two guys whose main systems are comprised of significantly more expensive speakers.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Seconded.

I don't know why you wouldn't just get ELAC Debuts all the way around. Makes a lot more sense than buying mismatched speakers. Plus the ELAC Debut V2 are awesome. And that's from two guys whose main systems are comprised of significantly more expensive speakers.
Based on your helpful comments and others in this forum I'll probably get the Elacs eventually maybe a birthday present to me next year. I used to have a pretty pricey two channel system which is where the sub came from, for now I ordered the Acoustic Audio speakers to get the rear channels going. I hooked up the HTR yesterday, sitting on top of an old Neuance isolation platform, and it's burning in now. Right out of the box it was pretty impressive and I'm sure it will only get better as it loosens up and when I get the rear channels connected.

Dray Crawford

Auditioning
Real Name
Draymond Crawford
I guess hearing it makes a better impression, New Fluance XL8F's with my 7.2 setup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks