Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Title: The Two Popes (2019)

Genre: Drama

Director: Fernando Meirelles

Release: 2019-11-27

Runtime: 125

Plot: Frustrated with the direction of the church, Cardinal Bergoglio requests permission to retire in 2012 from Pope Benedict. Instead, facing scandal and self-doubt, the introspective Pope Benedict summons his harshest critic and future successor to Rome to reveal a secret that would shake the foundations of the Catholic Church. Behind Vatican walls, a struggle commences between both tradition and progress, guilt and forgiveness, as these two very different men confront their pasts in order to find common ground and forge a future for a billion followers around the world.

Saw this movie with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce the other day at the Toronto TIFF Lightbox. Very good movie. The director (Fernando Meirelles) has done a great job of taking a play and turning it into a "movie". Yes, there are still many scenes with just the two men talking - but when the two performances are as good as this, who cares? If you have Netflix it will be screening there later this month. If not, you might want to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Lovely film of mostly two men talking that held my interest throughout. Superb acting. One question I'm left with, no spoilers, is how did they film those scenes in the Sistine Chapel? Was it somehow green-screened, or did they just make the Vatican an offer they couldn't refuse?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Lovely film of mostly two men talking that held my interest throughout. Superb acting. One question I'm left with, no spoilers, is how did they film those scenes in the Sistine Chapel? Was it somehow green-screened, or did they just make the Vatican an offer they couldn't refuse?

It was strictly a studio set-an expensive one at that. Not a bad movie and the acting was superb as expected from these two great actors. However the film has little interest to the majority of people.

Mod Edit: No commenting on religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks