What's new

Streaming Live TV (1 Viewer)

Short Timer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I recently decided to do away with cable TV and stream live TV instead. That's all good with smart TV's and Roku and firesticks but now that I have done away with the cable box in my basement, I'm looking for options to stream live TV/movies to a projector. Basically i want a device that will send the audio/video via HDMI in to a receiver. Then the receiver can do it's thing and send the video out via HDMI to the projector. I figure a laptop can do the job but what other devices are available. This is an area of home theater i have never looked. TIA and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
First to have to figure out how are you going to get live TV. Are you going to get a subscription service (like Sling) or do you plan on using an antenna to get over the air signals? If you are planning on using an antenna you don't need to necessarily stream it. You could just get an ATSC tuner and hook it up to your receiver as a video source. If you go with a subscription service you can hook up a Roku type device.

In my case I use an Antenna with a FireTV stick by using an Amazon FireCast. Its a multi-tuner DVR that works with an antenna and streams live and recorded TV to FireTV devices. In this case you would need a FireTV device hooked to the receiver and a FireCast. Here is more info on what I did: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/i-cut-the-cord-and-couldnt-be-happier/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
something to be aware of is that some channels/networks dont allow live streaming.

My wife is working up north in Minneapolis and doesnt have a cable subscription in her ABB.

Turns out ABC and FOX nets will not stream live through their dedicated apps unless you are in a very ,imited section of the country.

Short Timer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Sorry for the delay. Work always has a way of getting in the way of the important stuff. For the TV's in the house I'm using YouTube TV, Netfilx, Disney+............subscription services. I would like to do the same thing with the projector if there is a way to send it into the receiver via HDMI. Then let the receiver send the audio to the speakers and the video (HDMI) to the projector. I was thinking of using a laptop to log into the subscription service, then HMDI out of the laptop and into the receiver. Then let the receiver do it's thing. Anybody doing this? Or what other options are there?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Why not just use a ROKU, Firestick or Apple TV and connect it to the receiver.

Brian

Short Timer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the replies John and Brian. I have been disconnect from the A/V world for so long I didn’t know you could do this. I have to pick up a new receiver that has HDMI then I’ll try that out.

PCRIDE

Agent
Real Name
Speaker
What I’ve found working well is using Chromcast devices. Chromcast is compatible with all the well known streaming services. Not sure if you can hook one into a projector but I think it would work. On any computer you can “cast” what you are watching , a single chrom tab, or your entire desktop. On your mobile phone just click the cast icon and send it to your projector or TV.
We’ve bagged cable long ago and use all the streaming apps plus HD over the air TV. In addition Samsung has a really robust Samsung TV streaming service built into all smart TVs. Tons of content

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks